stingrays for kids? Mobey Dick?

glrydays

We will be in GC with RCL mid March with our 5 and 7 yr old kids. We want to go to the stingray city - is it safe for kids? Are most children afraid? Any reviews of Mobey Dick - we were thinking of booking with them, them seem reasonable in price, take you snorkelling as well and will drop us a 7 mile beach.

Any other recommendations of companies or tours with kids?

Thanks

We will be in GC with RCL mid March with our 5 and 7 yr old kids. We want to go to the stingray city - is it safe for kids? Are most children afraid?

It depends...and that applies to children and adults.

Depending on where the boat anchors, the water could be a little deep for smaller children (it's usually about hip to waist deep on me at 5'6" tall). If they don't like waves going over their heads occasionally or aren't comfortable in the water, then they might be afraid.

While harmless, stingrays are wild animals and have a mind of their own. They can move quickly, occasionally bowl you over or slip between your legs, swim into you suddenly, etc. If they're nervous around land animals that move quickly and sometimes unexpectedly, then they might be afraid.

Depending on how many boats are out at Stingray City while you are there, you may have more or less contact with them. If there are tons of boats out (ie. on a cruise ship day) then you'll really only have them close to you while you have squid in your hand, and then they'll lose interest and swim off to find someone else to feed them. (Yes, you have to buy their love. ;) ) Since you're there with RCL, you'll probably be sharing the sandbar with a ton of other people and most of your stingray viewing can be at a safe distance if that's what you're comfortable with.

However, if you're ever there on a day when no cruise ships are in town, or at an off-peak time, then you could have the place almost to yourself. In that situation, you could be quite popular. Have you ever been to one of the petting zoos where you can go into the pen and feed the deer/sheep/goats/whatever? It's kind of like being the only one in the pen with food...everyone wants your attention. Another good analogy would be that you're in a room full of cats and you're the only one holding catnip. That can be kind of scary if you're not used to being mobbed like that.

I love Stingray City. I never get tired of it, and I'd go every day we were in Cayman if I could. However, I wouldn't recommend it for a timid child or one that was scared of water or animals.

If you want another good spot to visit with kids while you're in Cayman, the new Boatswain's Beach park is supposed to be fabulous. I haven't been since they finished their recent renovations, but they've got all sorts of attractions and things to do. Their website is here - http://www.boatswainsbeach.ky

Archived