Friend Needs Advice: Which Line Best to Alaska

MrPete

I've never been, so I was speechless.

He's looking at either RCCL, Celebrity, or HAL. Any one better than another? Or is a luck or the draw?

HELP!

RCI and Celebrity have 3 ships each that cruise in Alaska, and HAL has 8 ships - so more itineraries to choose from. HAL has been doing it longer than the other two, and HAL's ships can go to Glacier Bay - whereas the other two can't. Celebrity has had "pod" problems with 2 of the ships it uses in Alaska (Summit and Infinity) - causing at least one cancelled cruise in 2005 and 2006.

RCI and Celebrity have 3 ships each that cruise in Alaska, and HAL has 8 ships - so more itineraries to choose from. HAL has been doing it longer than the other two, and HAL's ships can go to Glacier Bay - whereas the other two can't. Celebrity has had "pod" problems with 2 of the ships it uses in Alaska (Summit and Infinity) - causing at least one cancelled cruise in 2005 and 2006.

Nancy, I would have to agree with you that when cruising to Alaska I would be very worried about the Summit and Infinity propulsion problems. If I were cruising the Caribbean I would consider Celebrity but not for Alaska or any cruise where the ports were important to me.

As another poster mentioned I would definitely throw Princess into the mix.

Happy Sailings

I think itinerary is as important as the cruise-line for Alaska. Does your friend intend cruise-only, or will he have time for touring interior Alaska?

If he isn't planning for interior travel, round-trip sailings either Seattle or Vancouver are great options if they include Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay for the glacier sailings. Vancouver sailings offer the better itineraries in general, my opinion. However, airfare into/out of Seattle is typically more budget friendly, even with overnight and transfer costs to Vancouver.

If interior touring is an option, I like the one-way itineraries which offer 2 glacier viewing days. Some only have one glacier sailing, but have an added port.

All ports have something unique to offer. Alaska has many, many excursion options... flightseeing and glacier landings, sled dog tours, whale-watching, fishing charters, Klondike gold rush train, etc.

I've only sailed Carnival and Princess in Alaska, both one-way... of the 2, Princess gets my vote!:) However, I'm not impressed with Princess' round-trip itineraries, at all. Carnival did have a great naturalist, much more than Princess. Some cruiselines don't offer one onboard at all.

Send your friend to join us here on the Alaska boards... lots of links, lots of searches, lots of ideas and opinons!

Any reason NCL's Pearl is not in the mix? This is what we are most likely doing. It is a brand new ship, Inside Passage and goes to Glacier Bay. Are we nuts for considering NCL since it is not even listed as an option so far?

Some people won't consider any sailing from Seattle (or any NCL sailings for that matter). I've sailed from both Seattle & Vancouver and think that sometimes the difference is overblown. I've also sailed NCL several times for me "freestyle" has some real advantages over traditional sailing.

If I were you, I'd go for it.

-Monte

I've never been, so I was speechless.

He's looking at either RCCL, Celebrity, or HAL. Any one better than another? Or is a luck or the draw?

HELP!

How old is your friend? Is he active/athletic/nightlife loving? Does he want a round-trip or one-way? Does he have credits with one cruise line over another and is happy with that line? Are there any ports that he really wants to see? I know I've asked a lot of questions, but I need more info!:) I sail RCI because I like them, I am almost platinum, I am active, and I like nightlife. Does he like traditonal or freestyle type dining? I love traditional dining. He needs to answer those questions, then we can steer him to the right choice for him. RCI is the right choice for me, but everyone has their own preferences.;)

Some people won't consider any sailing from Seattle ...

-Monte

If I were lucky enough to live where I could see the mountains and shoreline often, I wouldn't mind Seattle sailings. I just hate to give up a day of great mountain shoreline viewing in favor of mainly ocean viewing... Many people likely don't mind since shipboard activities keep them occupied as well. I also think of the Amtrak rail transfer as a bonus excursion.;)

That said, if the price is right for a last-minute cruise, I'll certainly sail Seattle, any cabin, any ship!!! HAL and NCL, anyway... the Princess itineraries must have the price really right! I'm just playing the waiting game now.:)

sailing out of seattle was just lovely. first you cruise through the sound, watch the cruise ships leaving with you and the other boat traffic..watch for ocras. then it gets dark. by the next morning, around 10am, you have islands on one side and coastline on the other. it may not be as close to land as leaving from vancourer, but it's pretty nice.

How old is your friend? Is he active/athletic/nightlife loving? Does he want a round-trip or one-way? Does he have credits with one cruise line over another and is happy with that line? Are there any ports that he really wants to see? I know I've asked a lot of questions, but I need more info!:) I sail RCI because I like them, I am almost platinum, I am active, and I like nightlife. Does he like traditonal or freestyle type dining? I love traditional dining. He needs to answer those questions, then we can steer him to the right choice for him. RCI is the right choice for me, but everyone has their own preferences.;)

I have sailed 5 lines to Alaska and nightlife is quiet on all of them, including Carnival. :) It's a completely different experience than the the Caribbean, with passengers on ALL lines still have the bulk of middle aged and above. :)

I'm not MrPete, but I have basically the same question so I'd love to hear your input. Here are my answers: we are in our mid-twenties. We are fairly active, but are more likely to spend our evening in a quiet martini bar listening to some piano music than a club-type atmosphere. However, we do hit the occasionally rowdy bar. The only cruise we've taken in the past is Disney, and we know that is not an option. I don't really have a dining preference because I've never experienced freestyle. I've only done the rotating Disney-style, and that was a nice variety. I would probably prefer a roundtrip, just to make the traveling easier. I would also like to see Glacier Bay, but it isn't a deal-breaker. THanks for any help you might be able to give!

I have sailed 5 lines to Alaska and nightlife is quiet on all of them, including Carnival. :) It's a completely different experience than the the Caribbean, with passengers on ALL lines still have the bulk of middle aged and above. :)

Well said BQ. That's why I normally suggest people (especially if it's their 1st Alaska cruise) to pick the itinerary they like first and then look at ships that sail it. Of course-to me-price works its way in also ;)

-Monte

I'm not MrPete, but I have basically the same question so I'd love to hear your input. Here are my answers: we are in our mid-twenties. We are fairly active, but are more likely to spend our evening in a quiet martini bar listening to some piano music than a club-type atmosphere. However, we do hit the occasionally rowdy bar. The only cruise we've taken in the past is Disney, and we know that is not an option. I don't really have a dining preference because I've never experienced freestyle. I've only done the rotating Disney-style, and that was a nice variety. I would probably prefer a roundtrip, just to make the traveling easier. I would also like to see Glacier Bay, but it isn't a deal-breaker. THanks for any help you might be able to give!

Don't flame me HAL and Celebrity lovers, but I would avoid those given your age.:) Not much chance of finding a rowdy bar there, although I am sure they would have a piano bar. They do cater to a more mature crowd, although I do know that all Alaskan cruises tend to have a more mature clientele. I don't have to have a rowdy club, either, nor do I want everyone in bed at 10. I'm in my forties, but I never sit still!

Would you like a roundtrip out of Vancouver or Seattle? Princess only does one-ways out of Vancouver; RC does round-trips out of both Seattle and Vancouver. I think the Serenade would be better than the Vision, though. Carnival just has the Spirit up here in Vancouver, and they do one-ways. Do round-trip cruises go to Glacier Bay? I can't answer that, but I am sure others can. Maybe HAL does.

NCL just has one ship here during the season, I think, and it is one-way. Seattle has some round-trips with NCL.

I picked the Serenade because I know the ship is gorgeous with lots of glass, I wanted a round-trip (no flying for once), I like traditional dining, I like RC's loyalty program, the kids and I will want to golf and climb the rock wall, and they have constant activities. I was on Carnival last year, and to be honest I got bored at some points, because they just did not have the variety of activities that RC has.

I am sure others out there will weigh in with their opinions.;)

NCL has 2 ships doing round trips out of seattle, the NCL pearl will be doing glacier bay, NCL star will do hubbard glacier. they also have a round-trip out of vancourer that does hubbard glacier.

the ship that does glacier bay is brand new, multi restaurants, casual dress. sailing out of seattle is a breeze..30 mins to the docks, on the ship and on the way.:D

NCL has 2 ships doing round trips out of seattle, the NCL pearl will be doing glacier bay, NCL star will do hubbard glacier. they also have a round-trip out of vancourer that does hubbard glacier.

the ship that does glacier bay is brand new, multi restaurants, casual dress. sailing out of seattle is a breeze..30 mins to the docks, on the ship and on the way.:D

NCL goes to Hubbard Glacier? I thought the other ships went to Tracy Arm.

oops, i have had hubbard on the brain all day. you are right, NCL star and wind do sawyer/tracy arm. today has been hubbard day on the boards.

I've done that also in the past. Actually, I certainly wish NCL did have a Hubbard cruise.

BTW-It's the Star & Sun that do tracy arm (not the Wind)

-Monte

i need to go to bed

7-Day Sawyer Glacier, Round-trip Vancouver

Norwegian Sun

2007: May 6, 13, 20, 27; June 3, 10, 17, 24; July 1, 8, 15, 22, 29; August 5, 12, 19, 26; September 2, 9

7-Day Glacier Bay, Round-trip Seattle

Norwegian Pearl

2007: May 13, 20, 27; June 3, 10, 17, 24; July 1, 8, 15, 22, 29; August 5, 12, 19, 26; September 2, 9, 16

7-Day Sawyer Glacier, Round-trip Seattle

Norwegian Star

2007: May 5, 12, 19, 26; June 2, 9, 16, 23, 30; July 7, 14, 21, 28; August 4, 11, 18, 25; September 1, 8, 15

and i am going to be before i screw up anymore

I would only select a cruise with an onboard naturalist. The evening narration of our naturalist onboard the Coral Princess was one of the highlights of the cruise...and afterwards she would come to the horizon court buffet (which is just above the bridge in this ship) and continue pointing out scenery and wildlife... truly wonderful!

We're in the same boat, so to speak. Our past 8 cruises have been on Disney. We, too, like relaxing to music in a lounge and the occasional rowdy bar. After much research, we chose NCL's Pearl. We like that it's roundtrip out of Seattle, has a great itinerary, has a fun looking nightclub called Bliss as well as numerous other bars and lounges, and has several restaurants to choose from each night (I hate sitting at the same table night after night). Another former Disney cruising family has decided to join us as well. Hopefully, we chose wisely.:rolleyes:

We're in the same boat, so to speak. Our past 8 cruises have been on Disney. We, too, like relaxing to music in a lounge and the occasional rowdy bar. After much research, we chose NCL's Pearl. We like that it's roundtrip out of Seattle, has a great itinerary, has a fun looking nightclub called Bliss as well as numerous other bars and lounges, and has several restaurants to choose from each night (I hate sitting at the same table night after night). Another former Disney cruising family has decided to join us as well. Hopefully, we chose wisely.:rolleyes:

When are you cruising, cruisewmn? I'd love to hear a report of your trip when you get back. Thankfully, I've got a bit longer to decide, since I'm looking at summer of 2008.

When are you cruising, cruisewmn? I'd love to hear a report of your trip when you get back. Thankfully, I've got a bit longer to decide, since I'm looking at summer of 2008.

We're on the Pearl's August 5th sailing -- we wanted to go during bear viewing season, but not too far into August during rainy season. I'll be sure to write a review after the cruise.

Which is best ? I can only compare Carnival and HAL, but I get the feeling that each one is comparable, especially in Alaska. If someone wishes to do Alaska, I would recommend price as #1 consideration. Alaskan cruising is more about wildlife than late night bars, more about glaciers than gourmet, more about ports than bingo. What has worked for me is get a quote from the different lines which offer acceptable itineraries to my liking, then take the best offer.

Archived