Post cruise tour info needed

mrscruisequeen

Hi all...we will be going on the Sapphire Princess 2/14/08, 12 night cruise.

We are thinking of doing a post cruise (with Princess0 after our arrival in Sydney.

What they offer is Sydney/Cairns or Sydney/Cairns/Alice Springs/Ayres Rock.

Both tours then return to Sydney.

Any and all thoughts on these destinations will be welcomed!!

My DH wants to know why we would want to see Ayres Rock!!!:rolleyes:

Thanks, Jeanne

We are thinking of doing a post cruise (with Princess0 after our arrival in Sydney.

Thanks, Jeanne

Hello Jeanne:

Just some thoughts. You could spend a week in Sydney and not be bored. Travelling to Cairns/Alice Springs/Ayres Rock is some serious travelling. :)

What is the time frame for the post cruise tours? Would you be flying to each destination? There's not much to see on a LONG drive to Alice Springs/Ayres Rock.

It really depends on what interests you. Ayres Rock, well it is, after all, just a rock :) .....albeit a big one.... BUT with a tremendous amount of history attached. Liken it to seeing the pyramids in Egypt. Something most would not want to miss if traveling to Egypt. However, the distances to the center of Australia are huge. At some point I'm sure you will be doing some of the traveling by coach....do you enjoy that mode of travel?

Something else for you to consider....it will also be very hot in February which may, or may not, be a concern for you.

This is just a very brief overview.....feel free to ask more specific questions. Someone here will definitely have some good information for you, :)

(P.S. I was born and raised in Sydney and still have family there.)

I have to agree with ozland and unless you have a long time in australia miss out on ayres rock. There are some long distances to travel and even if flying to cairns from sydney that will take a huge part of a day.

do you want to spend most of your time travelling. I vote just to stay in sydney and cairns.

karon

I also vote to stay in Sydney and perhaps fly to Cairns to see the G.B.R. Ayes Rock or Uluru is the largest rock in the world and is something we Aussies all aim to visit at some time in our lives. The sunrises and sunsets are something to be marvelled at.

As Ozland mentions there is a lot of travelling between Alice Springs and the rock though I am wondering if they would also be taking you to the McDonnell Ranges which would make the trip worthwhile.

Also not only will it be extremely hot, but also at that time of the year the flies are incredible and it would quite uncomfortable trying to swot flies all the time. They do get into your ears, mouth and nose.

Sydney has so much to offer just on its own. If you want to fly to Cairns it is a 3 hour trip but at least you will get a chance to visit the Reef though in February it can be extremely wet up north and there is also the chance of a cyclone at that time of year.

Jennie

I also vote to stay in Sydney and perhaps fly to Cairns to see the G.B.R. Ayes Rock or Uluru is the largest rock in the world and is something we Aussies all aim to visit at some time in our lives. The sunrises and sunsets are something to be marvelled at.

As Ozland mentions there is a lot of travelling between Alice Springs and the rock though I am wondering if they would also be taking you to the McDonnell Ranges which would make the trip worthwhile.

Also not only will it be extremely hot, but also at that time of the year the flies are incredible and it would quite uncomfortable trying to swot flies all the time. They do get into your ears, mouth and nose.

Sydney has so much to offer just on its own. If you want to fly to Cairns it is a 3 hour trip but at least you will get a chance to visit the Reef though in February it can be extremely wet up north and there is also the chance of a cyclone at that time of year.

Jennie

Thanks all for the great information. Will probably just choose to stay in Sydney, see the sights there and do the blue mountain tour. What is that like?

Does anyone have and info, on any local tour guides, that could take us on some tours in Sydney?

We might still consider Carins, but we'll see.

Definitely don't want to swat black flys while on our trip. We did that in one area in Iceland last year.

Any more info. on tours in or around Sydney will be appriciated.

Also, what are some good hotels to stay at and what area is nice with good views?

Thanks, Jeanne:)

Just back to your original question. Sydney is a wonderful city and you would have no trouble spending a week doing things here. Zoo trip, Bridge climb, tour Opera House, Darling Harbour or city tour.

Ayers Rock is an amazing site. The flight is about 3 hours one way. The Rock is very interesting and is a totally different side to Australia. The soil is so red and the "mountain ranges" near Alice Springs are quite unique. Alice Springs is more like a very large country town than a city with high rise etc. Any coach tours you did here would be airconditioned.

Cairns is more tropical and green and about a 3+ hour flight. Both places will be extremely hot in February. Flies are everywhere in Australia. Just buy some insect repellant available at every supermarket. You will still need sunhats, even in Sydney in February. Hope you enjoy your time "Down Under".:)

Thanks all for the great information. Will probably just choose to stay in Sydney, see the sights there and do the blue mountain tour. What is that like?

Does anyone have and info, on any local tour guides, that could take us on some tours in Sydney?

We might still consider Carins, but we'll see.

Definitely don't want to swat black flys while on our trip. We did that in one area in Iceland last year.

Any more info. on tours in or around Sydney will be appriciated.

Also, what are some good hotels to stay at and what area is nice with good views?

Thanks, Jeanne:)

What price range are you looking for with regard to hotels?

Jane;)

• 2 weeks later...

The best deal for a hotel is using Priceline and getting the Sydney Marriott for $130 to $140. If you haven't used Priceline before go to www.biddingfortravel.com and read through the FAQ. If you scroll down to Intermational hotels, Sydney is in with Asia/South Pacific Hotels. Most people get the $140 rate. Last year we got it for $130. It's a great location and nice hotel. You'll love Sydney. Blue Mountains are kind of like our foothills but prettier! (hate to admit it)

Carol

Both tours then return to Sydney.

Any and all thoughts on these destinations will be welcomed!!

Thanks, Jeanne

I have a few links in my signature, for Sydney and rest of Australia. Australia.com is the website of Australian Tourist Commission.

Ayers Rock will be hot, dusty (muddy if it rains) but worth the effort.

The area is sacred to the Australian Aborigines in the area, and can be a spiritual experience for westerners as well.

Rather than price or stars for accommodation in Sydney, also look for a location that suits ie, Harbour views vs close to facilities and tours.

Our personal preference is Harbourside apartments, which is a short ferry ride away from Circular Quay (International Passenger Terminal). Harbour view room offers 4 1/2 star with Harbour views (similar to our cruise counter) to suit your budget.

Hello Jeanne:

Just some thoughts. You could spend a week in Sydney and not be bored. Travelling to Cairns/Alice Springs/Ayres Rock is some serious travelling. :)

What is the time frame for the post cruise tours? Would you be flying to each destination? There's not much to see on a LONG drive to Alice Springs/Ayres Rock.

It really depends on what interests you. Ayres Rock, well it is, after all, just a rock :) .....albeit a big one.... BUT with a tremendous amount of history attached. Liken it to seeing the pyramids in Egypt. Something most would not want to miss if traveling to Egypt. However, the distances to the center of Australia are huge. At some point I'm sure you will be doing some of the traveling by coach....do you enjoy that mode of travel?

Something else for you to consider....it will also be very hot in February which may, or may not, be a concern for you.

This is just a very brief overview.....feel free to ask more specific questions. Someone here will definitely have some good information for you, :)

(P.S. I was born and raised in Sydney and still have family there.)

Jeanne, Good. info. We are sailing Sydney -Auckland 2/2/08. How much time should we allow for the GBR? Would 2 days suffice? Thanks,

PinkSuit

Pink suit.

bear in mind it is at least a 4 hour flight from sydney to cairns, so that will take up probably two days , if you got an early flight you could probably fit in a kuranda tour in the afternoon. You need a full day to go to the reef.

Bear in mind also it is very hot sticky and likely to be wet when you go as it is tropical.

We have been there several times and spent two weeks there each time in winter and loved it and certainly filled in the time.

It is a long way , you may need more time there if you can pull it off.

karon

I agree with karon. Cairns is a long way for only two nights. Also in Feb, March and April, it is the hottest time up there and often our cyclones come then. Don't be upset and surprised if it rains whilst you are there. This year Cairns and FNQ have had floods and the heaviest rainfalls for years. You cannot see the reef when it is raining, you do need the sunshine!

We have had many holidays up there mainly in August but a couple of years ago we went in April and it was still very humid and sticky. Also you cannot swim in the ocean in our summer as the stingers are around.

It is safer out on the reef and as karon mentioned it is a full day's trip. If you want to see the Reef then allow a 3 night stay as travelling both up and back takes time and you really waste a day each way, unless you get early flights up to Cairns and late flights back to Sydney.

Jennie

Jeanne...we're going to be doing the 6 day pre-cruise land tour in March. Itinerary is Sydney, Ayers Rock, Alice Springs, and Cairns. Just as a contrary point of view...yes the distances are long but we don't know if we'll ever be back so wanted to see as much as possible. I'll post a review on our return.

Aussie Gal:

Thanks for all of your helpful information. We're on the Sapphire Princess from NZ to Sydney on March 12th and we have a six day post tour planned in Australia. We fly from Sydney to Cairns (5 hr flight); and then Cairns to Port Douglas.We're staying at the Sheraton Mirage Resort there and taking a catamaran to the reef. I'll guess we'll just have to hope for some good weather, as you say this isn't a good time of year to see the reef. Then we go back from Port Douglas to Cairns and then take a flight to Brisbane where we're staying at another Sheraton.Then we're taking a coach ride to surfers paradise. From there we're going to Beerwah to the zoo. After that we fly back to Sydney and stay two nights before we fly home. I'm hoping for good weather, but if not, we'll just make the best of it. It's a long journey for us to get there (living in Iowa) and we want to see as much as possible while we're there. Maybe we'll get lucky and get some good weather.

Happy Cruising.....Sparkle 10 (Anita):)

Sparkle10,

Your trip sounds wonderful as you are going to see quite a lot of Australia in a short time. You will love the Sheraton Mirage at Port Douglas. Port Douglas is a 40 minute drive from Cairns. I am not sure about this 5 hour trip by air from Sydney, as flying from Melbourne it only takes three and a half hours to Cairns, and we are much further south than Sydney. I think because of daylight saving down here in both Sydney and Melbourne, it appears to take longer than it really does. Queensland does not have daylight saving so the sun wakes you up at 5am, but on the downside, it is dark around 5.30pm.

Again the trip from Brisbane to the Gold Coast is only about 50 minutes. The Gold Coast is not my favourite part of Australia but it is a very popular area for holiday makers.

Of course, whilst on the Sapphire Princess you will visit our beautiful city and also the lovely island of Tasmania so in all you will be seeing quite a diverse area of Australia.

Enjoy our country.

Jennie

jennie. i am sure i recall our flights from sydney have taken about 4 hours

I know that some flights have a "stopover" in brisbane which will obviously lenghthen the trip,

make sure you dont book one of those Anita, you want maximum time up north

Anita,

I agree with kaseyoz to book a direct flight from Sydney. I have looked at the Qantas website and if you go direct it is only a 3 hour 5 minute flight. I thought it would be less than Melbourne, which is a 3 hour 15 minute flight. Virgin Blue is a little slower taking 3 and a half hours.

There are not a lot of direct flights available so I would book when you know your correct dates as you do not want to waste precious hours waiting around Brisbane airport for a re-connection.

Jennie

• 1 month later...

My husband and I are planning on going 'down under' next February. But we are torn between G.B.R and Kangaroo island. We understand that G.B.R. is a very popular destination for a reason, unlike Kangaroo island. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Edit and Igor.

Hi:

Just got back last Friday night from our 12 day Sapphire Princess, Auckland to Sydney cruise with a 6 day post cruise after we arrived in Sydney. I agree, you could spend a couple of weeks in Sydney and still not see everything. We took the 6 day tour thru Princess when we arrived in Sydney last week. It was absolutely the best choice we could have made. We flew from Sydney to Cairns (3 hour flight) and stayed two nights at the Sheraton at Port Douglas; then flew to Surfers Paradise along the Gold Coast and spent another two nights at the Sheraton there. These two Sheratons were absolutely amazing. Our four breakfasts at the Sheratons were included and the very best ever. Then we flew back to Sydney for two nights at the Intercontinental. Also, a very good choice and location. We were only two blocks from Darling Harbour and were able to walk to the Dinner Harbour Cruise I had booked about a month ago. Our second night we ate at the Sky Tour Restaurant, which revolved and gave us a fabulous view of the city at night. The Harbour Dinner Cruise also gave us a fabulous view of the city at night. I paid extra for a window seat but they had an open deck you could walk up to and see the city lights which were amazing. We were lucky and had great weather the whole three weeks. Only two disappointments were in the land tour. The afternoon we were to spend at the Australian Zoo, was cut to one hour because of a traffic accident on our route and we only got one hour there, and a lot of our tour group were upset about this. It was hardly enough time to see everything at the zoo. Also, the afternoon at Surfers Paradise that we were supposed to have on our own (according to our itinerary) we did not.. My DH and myself were disappointed as we planned to walk along the beach and explore the area around our hotel, which was amazing. Our itinerary for that date stated that we were to take a tour in the morning (by bus) eat lunch and return to the Sheraton. Instead we took the tour, ate lunch, and then an unscheduled bus ride to a rain forest which took up the rest of the day. We chose this tour because of the beaches not the bus. We've been to rain forests before in San Juan and Costa Rico; we certainly didn't want to spend the whole day on the bus, but we did. Only two minor disappointments from an amazing, wonderful vacation on the Sapphire Princess and 6 day land tour thru Princess. I had the choice of going to Ayres Rock or Tour 6 along the Gold Coast and I'm glad we chose the one we did. Any questions, please ask away.

Happy Cruising.....Sparkle 10;)

PS The Great Barrier Reef was amazing. I recommend this tour for that reason alone.

Archived