Zaandam Pillows?

SherriM

I like a soft, near flat pillow...can anybody tell me what type of pillows are available on the Zaandam or shall I bring my own from home?

Goofy question, I know....but a firm huge pillow gives me a headache.

Thanks!

I don't think it's a goofy question at all :)

I would say the pillows are medium thickness, but not hard. We had single beds with two pillows on each bed. Both were definitely too many for me. At home I use a memory foam pillow, which I really like, but I didn't dislike the Zaandam pillows.

I don't know whether they had any other types of pillows available, since I didn't ask.

If you are really fussy about your pillow and have the room to take, I would recommend that you do so.

Hope that helps!

We had bed made up as a Q. Each side had 3 pillows. I didn't look at the tag for the firmer pillow, but I am almost positive that 2 of the pillows were goose down light. Very soft. Could be folded over. I thought they were very comfortable & just used the 2 pillows.

Carole

I don't think it's a goofy question at all :)

At home I use a memory foam pillow, which I really like, but I didn't dislike the Zaandam pillows.

This question is helpful to me. I herniated a cervical disk 3 months ago (neck/spine) and can't live without my memory foam pillow. I bought a travel size one for the cruise. As wonderful and varied as the HAL pillows may be, I doubt they carry memory foam pillows (but if someone knows otherwise please let me know)

I like a soft, near flat pillow...can anybody tell me what type of pillows are available on the Zaandam or shall I bring my own from home?

Goofy question, I know....but a firm huge pillow gives me a headache.

Thanks!

I truly appreciate all the posts. And this is why this board to so terrific!

Regarding travel pillows - several years ago my husband bought me a little travel size pillow that rolls up into a small sleeve. I believe it was from Brookstone or one of those type stores. It is great for a night or two away but I wouldn't want to use it for this long of a cruise. So overall it sure sounds like I will be good-to-go with the ones offered on the HAL line!

Thanks to all!

We liked our pillows from the 'Mariner Dream Bed' so much on our Oct sailing on the Noordam, that we bought two to take home! They were $15. each and were brand new in wrappers.:)

Good to know...did you buy the pillows from one of the gift shops on board? Or by some other means?

Do all the HAL ships offer the Dream beds in all staterooms? Are they like a Sleep Number bed or something different?

Thanks for the info in advance!

It's not a sleep number bed. They actually sell the mattresses, sheets, etc on the ShopHollandAmerica.com website that's linked to their main webpage. I think it's some form of Sealy Posturepedic. The beds on the 4 other lines we've sailed on would do the Armed Forces proud - hard enough to bounce a coin off of. But HAL uses real mattresses like you'd have at home. And I'm pretty sure all the cabins got these mattresses when they did their Signature of Excellence upgrades. There is a selection of pillows but if you're used to memory foam, you're probably better off bringing your own. I haven't seen any offered in even land based hotels.

We take our own pillows for 2 reasons

1. allergies - my allergist told me that after one year's use half the weight of the pillow is from dust mites.

2. the pillows are too large and bulky for us.

what we do is put the pillow in one of those special travel plastic bags with a valve so that you can press all the air out. The pillow flattens down to a couple of inches. Or you can put the pillow in a heavy plastic bag and use the hose of the vacuum cleaner to suck the air out and seal with twist ties. The travel bags are best because you need to press the air out for coming home too. Or you can buy inexpensive pillows and leave them behind.

We put our pillows away in the closet during the day as they use a lot of sprays in the rooms - they can come in and spray rug cleaner without telling you they are going to do that.

We liked our pillows from the 'Mariner Dream Bed' so much on our Oct sailing on the Noordam, that we bought two to take home! They were $15. each and were brand new in wrappers.:)

wow! $15.00.

i just paid $45.00 for each on ther website.

we were on westerdam this past new years cruise and i have to say they had the most comfortable bed and pillows we've ever slept on. we just ordered their mattress as well. i just hope it will be as comfortable as the one on the ship.

i did not know you can buy pillows on the ship.:mad:

• 1 month later...

Sorry I just got back online. I asked at pursers desk about pillows, and was told I could buy on board. I signed the charge slip for $30. and the night before we disembarked, they were delivered to our room.

In case anyone's interested, the label says made by Perfect Fit Industries, 201 Cuthbertson Street, Monroe, N.C. 28111. They are Queen 20x30 filling 100% polyester, cover 100% cotton.

Have them now almost five months and enjoying very much!:)

wow! $15.00.

i just paid $45.00 for each on ther website.

we were on westerdam this past new years cruise and i have to say they had the most comfortable bed and pillows we've ever slept on. we just ordered their mattress as well. i just hope it will be as comfortable as the one on the ship.

i did not know you can buy pillows on the ship.:mad:

Now I don't feel so bad! We bought 2 on the website @$45 too! Later I found them elsewhere on the internet for $15! The brand is "Comforel" and they are wonderful! I am allergic to feathers and these are polyester fiber.

Sorry I just got back online. I asked at pursers desk about pillows, and was told I could buy on board. I signed the charge slip for $30. and the night before we disembarked, they were delivered to our room.

In case anyone's interested, the label says made by Perfect Fit Industries, 201 Cuthbertson Street, Monroe, N.C. 28111. They are Queen 20x30 filling 100% polyester, cover 100% cotton.

Have them now almost five months and enjoying very much!:)

I loved the pillows (and mattress, too)on the Noordam. I'm assuming they're the same on all the ships. I checked online the other day and found them for $45....so maybe this is a "special deal" they have if you buy them onboard? I will have to check with the Front Desk next time!

Thanks for the head's up!

• 2 weeks later...

:o I will be bringing my own pillow, did that on the last cruise too. I use a memory foam neck support pillow and I would miss it!! How pathetic is that??? LOL.. I suffer from migraines and the neck support is important for me..

Whenever I travel, the pillow goes too.

I use a memory foam neck support pillow and I would miss it!! How pathetic is that??? Whenever I travel, the pillow goes too.

Not pathetic at all, I hope! I always take my own pillow. Sometimes I squish it in one of those compression ziploc bags (the brand name escapes me right now) and check it, but most of the time, I carry it on the airplane with me! :eek: I made a 'case' out of an old HAL t-shirt to put it in to keep clean. I sewed the neck and arms shut and put a casing with a drawstring in the hem. Sometimes I stuff it in my carry-on but usually I use it to cushion the armrest, depending on our seating.

Happy cruising!

Robin

Great Idea Robin, thanks. Last cruise I put it in my suitcase but it takes a lot of room. As this cruise coming up is much longer I will need the suitcase room for clothes, so was tossing around ideas of how to get my pillow on board with out taking up room in my suitcase. I thought about my carry on, and will see if it will fit. I like the idea of making a case for it and just carrying it along.

My Mother thinks I am crazy and should just leave it at home :(, but that's not going to happen!!

Archived