Skirted Bathing Suit

ATL-Cpl

Hi Ladies -- This is my first post on the fashion board, though I've been following the discussions for quite awhile. Just went shopping yesterday for our February cruise (CB) and actually saw tankini suits with little skirts on the bottom. While I was excited about the chance to partially cover up big thighs, it's ingrained in my brain that skirted suits are what my mother used to wear. These new suits are Liz Claiborne, Lauren, and even Juicy Couture. I haven't tried one on yet, but the skirts look a lot cuter than mom's. Are they back in style? Is it the kind of thing that's cute on a 20-year-old, but on me (just past 40) would look like......mom?

Elizabeth

I have a two piece with a skirted bottom. I'm 40 years old and I wear it. I just got my Victoria's Secret Swim Issue catalog and there are alot of skirted swimsuits in it. I think they are so cute. If it flatters your figure, I say wear it. It's hard enough to find a swimsuit that looks good without worrying that you might be too old to wear it. If it looks good, go for it. :D

I bought a skirted tankini from Newport news last year and a new one from JCPenney this month. I really like them.

They are different from the "old lady" style skirt suits. I think they would be fine for your age -- I am in my late 20s, but I've seen other women older than me wearing them as well.

They are very comfortable, provide coverage for your upper thighs ( I hate mine), and look cute!:)

What's wrong with looking like....mom? :) :) or an "old lady." Some of us are!!! :)

Oh no, I didn't mean it that way at all. There are many graceful, fashionable senior ladies out there. But I have very vivid memories of my own mom wearing a bathing cap with big rubber flowers attached, and a flowered, long skirted suit with those hard molded bra cups. I'm OK with looking like somebody else's mom, just don't want to look like mine!

This is my first post here too :-)

My 28 year old sister wore a skirted bikini a few weeks ago on our New Year's Cruise. I thought it looked great! Exactly as you mentioned, it helped flatter her figure - she's convinced she's got thick thighs. I don't think age has anything to do with bathing suit styles. I'm just happy they've finally created suits that flatter!!! (tankini's, skirts, etc.)

I say go for it - and with confidence!

Aaaaah I remember vividly the days when I would wear a french cut bathing suit that made my legs look 6 feet long! Those were also the days when I would nary venture into the water for fear of mussing up the do. I was happy to sit on the beach and look goooood.

That was then, and this is now. Sitting around looking good is rarely an option. :D I love skirted suits. I bought a faille separates suit from Lands End and then another one piece. I bought them because I wanted a suit that would be appropriate to wear by the pool when the kids were entertaining and something I would feel comfortable in should the UPS man show up while lounging. I love the versatility of the tops with the faille separates. I have one modest top and one sexy top that I usually wear on vacation. The skirts aren't the flippy style, I would say with both pieces on, the suit has the shape of a sheath. Very flattering and I still feel stylish. I also like that I don't feel poured into these suits. During the summer, I will spend the day in my bathing suit and I never feel uncomfortable.

Just be careful if you do have large thighs. Depending on where the skirt falls, it can cut you in half and actually draw attention to the area.

I say...

Better to draw attention to the ample thighs, than the scary little bulge that pops out of that elegant french cut thigh seam... if ya know what I mean...:eek:

Bring on the swimskirts and tankinis!! :D

(now, does anyone have a brilliant suggestion to camouflage big ankles?? :cool: )

I love skirted suits. I bought a faille separates suit from Lands End and then another one piece. falls.

Thanks so much! OK, now I'm inspired to go back and try them on. Soxfan05, how did the Lands End sizing work for you? I've noticed that in stores, bathing suits seem to run small. I end up with a suit that's 1-2 number sizes larger than my regular clothing size (just one more thing that makes you worry). With Lands End, did you order your regular clothing size or larger?

Elizabeth

Lands End tends to run true to size, or generous, at least for me. Their suits are great and hold up well.

My opinion is that everyone should find a suit that flatters their body type, regardless of what is available that year. Not one style will flatter everyone.

I'm not crazy for skirted suits on any body type, but I do understand how some may think they are covering a part of their body they do not like. You have to wear what you will be comfortable wearing.

You'll see huge women wearing tiny bikinis on a cruise ship and while it may look odd and not appealing (to me), I applaud their confidence.

Hi Ladies -- This is my first post on the fashion board, though I've been following the discussions for quite awhile. Just went shopping yesterday for our February cruise (CB) and actually saw tankini suits with little skirts on the bottom. While I was excited about the chance to partially cover up big thighs, it's ingrained in my brain that skirted suits are what my mother used to wear. These new suits are Liz Claiborne, Lauren, and even Juicy Couture. I haven't tried one on yet, but the skirts look a lot cuter than mom's. Are they back in style? Is it the kind of thing that's cute on a 20-year-old, but on me (just past 40) would look like......mom?

Elizabeth

I love them. I am a young 50+, wear a size 6 and have problems wearing a one piece. They just don't fit. The skirted tankinis are perfect. The first time I saw one was in Destin, Fl and the woman that had it on, was probably in her 30's and it looked so good. I love the "It Figures" brand. I haven't been able to find many of them but they are great.

I think the new ones are really cute and sexy...and flattering!

I am a size 4 (& 44 years old) and am looking at them myself, because they are different....don't have to be hiding something! Plus they have some that have a separate cover up skirt that are cute too for when you are just lounging.

Go for what makes you feel most comfortable

Seriously laughing of loud here.... bulge from the french cut.... LOL!!!!

Just to be clear, the new skirted bottoms are much different than skirts of the past! It's a new look and style and it's very cute and fashionable. Not at all like our mothers and grandmothers of the past.

I say go for it! It definitely doesn't look like you're trying to "hide" anything.

Hey, I just bought 2 swimsuits yesterday and they are one piece skirted beautiful suits! I hate putting on bathing suits but as soon as I tried these on, I knew they were made for me! Great designs and colors... I just had to buy both of they as I couldn't decide which one I like more!

There is nothing worse than having take off that cover-up when you hate the way you look in your bathing suit!

Thanks so much! OK, now I'm inspired to go back and try them on. Soxfan05, how did the Lands End sizing work for you? I've noticed that in stores, bathing suits seem to run small. I end up with a suit that's 1-2 number sizes larger than my regular clothing size (just one more thing that makes you worry). With Lands End, did you order your regular clothing size or larger?

Elizabeth

Lands End runs true to size. They are excellent quality. I have one tankini that I've owned for 3 years. All summer at our pool and numerous trips to the Cape and other vacations, and it still looks great. I actually ordered a 3rd top this year and the color matched-there wasn't any fading. The two piece tankinis are great because you can order them in different sizes. I am large busted so the one piece suits generally don't work for me. Another bonus with Lands End is if you order in store at Sears, you don't pay shipping but it still comes straight to your door. Let us all know how you make out.

I'm 49 and I have virtually no behind. I have 2 skirted bikinis and I love them. The first one I bought fit perfectly and the skirt was just short enough to allow for a little flirt of behind in the back to peek out. The second one had a skirt that really was too long so I hemmed it to the length that looked best. One thing about the 2nd suit that I liked was that the skirt was assymetric and had a drawstring on one side for ruching. I got it at Newport News. The reason that I like the skirted suits is that I have a bit of that skin bulge in the front at the leg openings and I'm sort of self conscious about it.

Lands End runs true to size. They are excellent quality. I have one tankini that I've owned for 3 years. All summer at our pool and numerous trips to the Cape and other vacations, and it still looks great. I actually ordered a 3rd top this year and the color matched-there wasn't any fading. The two piece tankinis are great because you can order them in different sizes. I am large busted so the one piece suits generally don't work for me. Another bonus with Lands End is if you order in store at Sears, you don't pay shipping but it still comes straight to your door. Let us all know how you make out.

Good to know! I just bought THREE today (in hopes that at least one will look good! lol)!!! I didn't know I could order at Sears to avoid the shipping costs, but I did know I could make any returns there. Thanks!

I just bought two bikinis from Victoria's Secret. One has the skirted bottom and the other is the mid-scoop bottom, but I bought the little skirt that matches it. I absolutely love the bikinis! My thighs aren't that big, but I do have a lot of cellulite so the skirts cover that up. I look so much better in them!

I just bought two bikinis from Victoria's Secret. One has the skirted bottom and the other is the mid-scoop bottom, but I bought the little skirt that matches it. I absolutely love the bikinis! My thighs aren't that big, but I do have a lot of cellulite so the skirts cover that up. I look so much better in them!

Don't you just love cellulite? And it doesn't matter what size you are..anyone can have cellulite. I'm a size 2 (sometimes 4) and I have cellulite. I find a tan and lots of moisturizer make it less noticeable.

Don't you just love cellulite? And it doesn't matter what size you are..anyone can have cellulite. I'm a size 2 (sometimes 4) and I have cellulite. I find a tan and lots of moisturizer make it less noticeable.

I'm a 4 on bottom (sometimes 6) and have the same problem! Ugh! But you know what, I never notice anybody else's.

JMHO, I don't like the skirted suits - looks like you're trying to hide something. I'm pear-shaped though (2, sometimes 4 on top), so these things just make my thighs look bigger!

Wear what makes you comfortable - bikini, tankini, one-piece, skirted. As long as YOU like it and feel comfortable, nothing else matters. Have fun:)

Archived