Special wine dinners in Pinnacle Grill

clopaw

Do all HAL cruises have a special wine dinner one evening in the Pinnacle Grill? Is it a different menu every time? Does the sommelier comment on the wines? We enjoy wine tasting dinners sponsored by wineries because of the opportunity to learn about different wines.

Yes, the Sommelier dinner was recently introduced, I think the price was $49, due of course to the additional wine per course.The menu was completely different than the regular menu, I had some friends who did it, not sure about how much actual wine information is given out though.On our cruise the dinner was held once on a 7 night cruise.

On a recent cruise two of our tablemates did this dinner and were not very happy with the way it was done. This was on the Maasdam cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Montreal. Some of their comments included that the wine was not served correctly with the food but rather in front of the food. That no explainations were given with the meal and wine as to what the wines were and why they had been picked for that course. That they didn't feel the amount of wine that was poured into the glasses was sufficient. These were people who had been on many cruises and were experienced travelers. We later talked with another couple who also did the dinner and they said they enjoyed the dinner and wine. I just felt that we were lucky not to have done it. We did eat in the Pinnacle on another night and had excellent food with decent service.

Have a great next cruise.

:p Sommelier's Dinner

We attended the Sommelier's Dinner on the thirteen day cruise the Maasdam took from Ft Lauderdale to Montreal. My wife and I considered it to be a gourmet's delight. Some may argue the selection of wines could be improved and an oenophile would agree. We like wines with our meals and we enjoyed the meal and the accompanying charge of $49.50 per person was not exhorbitant.

The meal started with a selection of appetizers in the Explorers Lounge. A selection of individual-sized appetizers were accompanied by a glass of Domaine St Michele Cuvee Brut. We sipped the champagne while we talked with four other participants. We had a nice chat before we were called to the Pinnacle Grill and seated. We sat at a table for two overlooking the sea. Course after course was served with an "appropriate" wine. We sat next to the Sommelier and he talked to us about each wine served. It would have been more effective if the Sommelier had circulated, but he was concerned with the presentation and did not talk to everyone there. The criticism of wwinfl91 was merited in this case. I cannot address the amount of wine served to each person except to say we were content with the amount of wine we received. We even got a second glass of some wines.

We had asparagus with smoked salmon served with a glass of 2002 Mills Reef New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, butternut squash soup with carmalized apples and sage served with a 2002 Syrah McCrea Washington, your choice of rack of lamb and sterling silver beef tenderloin served with 1999 Northstar, Walla-Walla Merlot or lobster medallion , grilled scallops and salmon served with a 2001 Columbia Crest Chardonnay Washington. cheeses served with Whidbey's Port, and dessert was white chocolate lemon triangle with wild berry compote served with a Quady Essencia California. Coffee followed and brandy if you wanted at extra cost. The entire meal took well over two hours to finish.

Was it worth the price of admission? We already have plans to attend the same type of meal on our next cruise on the Statendam in October if it is offered.

:D :D :D

Hi Krazykruisers

I was hoping you would see this one and post. You were the "another couple" I mentioned who said they enjoyed their meal. I appreciate your detailed description of the meal and wines served.

I will be interested in seeing if our tablemates notice this one and post also.

Have a great next cruise.

That they didn't feel the amount of wine that was poured into the glasses was sufficient.
Was this simply because of the proper way of pouring fine wine into glasses - only a small amount of wine into the bottom of a relatively large glass to give the bouquet a chance to open up and concentrate itself in the airspace above the wine? And perhaps that this wasn't explained, and guests were too shy to drink what had been poured and to ask for another tot?

Or was it genuine stinginess on the part of the line?

I'm interested because that could make all the difference between this being worth it and not worth it. I don't mind a "proper" amount of wine in a glass, as long as it keeps getting added to when I drink it. But I think I'm unlikely to go to a wine dinner where there is precious little wine on offer.

Hello Warren & Krazy Kruizers!

My mother and I attended the sommelier's dinner on the Maasdam the same evening as Krazy Kruizers. We were seated in the second room, and had a very different experience. Yes, the amount of wine poured into the glass was appropriate. Unfortunately, after the wine was poured, it would take twenty minutes for the food to arrive. As a result, our glasses were empty. I asked the sommelier if there were any special characteristics about the second wine, as he said nothing about the first. He looked at the label and read the name of the vineyard. It sounds like the main room received wonderful service - I am not sure why the service staff didn't circulate on that evening.

I would have preferred the Pinnacle on a regular night, ordering my own wine.

:) Sommelier's Dinner

Now that we are on the subject of this new venue for HAL - hopefully on all ships, has anyone else gone to the Sommelier's Dinner on a ship other than the Maasdam?

Did you have the same courses and wine offerings?

Just curious if the meals are the same on all ships offering this special dinner.

:)

On our Zaandam cruise in Apr/May, the menu and the wines selected were identical to what has been posted. A menu was delivered to each cabin about 4 days prior to the dinner. We didn`t attend but had friends who did. They said their sommelier lacked knowlege of the wines and never discussed with them why a certain wine was served with a certain course. It was $48 on the Z......jean

Thanks Jean

We had a notice of the Sommelier's special dinner in our cabin when we arrived on the ship in May.

Our dinner was the first formal night on board the ship. This was the same night of the Captain's Welcome Aboard Party.

Maybe something will be offered on the Statendam.

Thanks for replying.

Archived