Hawaii Cheat Sheet

ROCruiser

• 4 weeks later...
A friend of mine told me to absolutely, positively do NOT waste your time at the polynesian cultural center.. that it was a ridiculously expensive, boring, staged, unauthentic going-through-the-rehearsed motions place. Really, she couldn't say enough bad things about it. She said if you are driving and see it, keep on going....

Just passing one person's opinion on....

I hate to stick my neck out here but I think I have to agree. My best friend's dad lived in Hawaii and we spent some time out there when I was in college. We went to PCC and found it quite boring. I don't think the performances were bad or that they were 'going through the motions'. It was a well run place but we were bored to tears. The entire place felt extremely fabricated to us.

However, that's JMHO.

I really don't want to step on anyone's toes here :o- but I hate to see this topic disappear. You all have been a great source of information to all of us. I created a rough cheat sheet from your answers in hopes that folks will continue it on and fill in some blanks. Here is what you all have said so far:

Oahu:

Climb Diamond Head

Snorkel Hanauma Bay

Surf lessons – perhaps with Hawaiian Fire

Polynesian Cultural Center (mixed opinions)

Watch the pros surf at Sunset Beach

Pearl Harbor Memorial Tour -Arizona Memorial, Bowfin; Missouri; Pacific Aviation Museum.

Call home in real time with a computer at the statue of Duke Kahanamoku on Waikiki Beach!

Circle tour including north shore of Oahu

Swim under the waterfall and gardens at Waimea Audubon Park

Dole Plantation - fun for kids and has great frozen pineapple whip

Walking around Waikiki and Chinatown

Bishop Museum

Drive the north shore for the waves in winter

The scenery and snorkeling at Shark's Cove during non-winter seasons.

Kailua Beach Park for swimming, sunning, and also windsurfing.

Lanikai beach

The blow hole is fun to watch when the seas are up.

Ko'olina up the west coast is lovely and can be nice in winter when other areas are too rough.

Sea Life Park has been completely renovated and is a good place for families with kids.

Driving the east coast is beautiful with jagged cliffs and long waterfalls

Waikiki Beach

HHV has a fireworks display on Friday early evening, and there's plenty of nightlife.

Iolani Palace tour is well worth the time and money.

Eating:

Cheeseburgers at Cheeseburger in Paradise

Giovanni Shrimp Truck - between the PCC and Turtle Bay.

Dole Plantation - fun for kids and has great frozen pineapple whip

Shave Ice on North Shore at Matsamoto's or Aoki's!

Waikiki Beach - there are numerous places to eat and drink (Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai Bar, Duke's, and House Without a Key are three faves)

Shopping:

Shop at ABC stores

Kauai:

Helicopter over the Island with Blue Hawaiian

see the Blowhole

snorkel at Kaloa Beach

Ke'e Beach

Wailua Falls

The North Shore - the views and snorkeling (We loved Anini Beach - quiet, safe (offshore barrier reef) and decent snorkeling.)

The South Shore -Salt Pond Beach - quiet, mostly locals, watching the amazing wind surfers

(and we saw a Monk Seal there!);

Waimea Canyon - fantastic photo ops

East Coast - Lydegate Park - best beach for small children (and they get to see fish!)

Eating:

on the way to North Shore - Duane's Ono Burger - the burgers are good and the internet is nearly free on the way to the South Shore, malasadas at a Portuguese/Hawaiian Bakery

Shopping:

Maui:

Snorkel Molokini

explore Lahaina

whale watch

golf at Kaanapali

Iao Valley and Iao Needle

Road to Hana

journey to the summit of Haleakala

Eating:

luau at Royal Lahaina Resort or Old Lahaina Luau

Food: Maui Tacos

Shopping:

Kona:

Snorkel at the Captain Cook Monument – currently the only approach is from the sea.

night dive with the Manta Rays

Drink coffee.

Place of Refuge (Puo'honaunau?)

Eating:

Shopping:

Hilo:

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park - helicopter tour over Volcano National Park gives you the opportunity to see lava oozing on the ground and in calderas.

Rainbow Falls

Akaka Falls

Peepee Falls

Boiling Pots

Banyan Drive

Eating:

Shopping:

ABC Stores

TIPS

If you rent a car from Thrifty, they give you great Drive Guides that have a lot of very useful and relevant information, as well as some local coupons that are for places easy to find and simple to redeem.

Save your ABC store receipts, they were doing a "free gift" for every hundred dollars you spent. We got a couple of nice coffee mugs for "free"! But, the ABC stores are great places to pick up almost anything you can think of, and a hundred dollars just doesn't look like it used to!

This Week magazines are found on the major Islands in airports, hotels and along the streets of Waikiki. Here's their web site http://www.thisweek.com/ They have maps, coupons etc.

Another coupon book for the Islands is the Spotlight series

http://www.spotlighthawaii.com/

The drive guides given out at the car rental agencies are also available on line, price I think is $4 each, but at the rental agencies they are free. http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/

I'd also suggest if you want to learn about things to do in Hawaii, Hawaii Magazine has great info and articles on the Islands. Only published 6 times a year. http://www.hawaiimagazine.com/

There are not places to rent chairs on most beaches in Hawaii. Our first purchase is usually a beach mat! Any ABC store will have them. They are cheap and come in the roll-up or fold-up variety. Take your towel from the ship, get a mat, and voila! you're ready for any beach stop.

We've been visiting Hawaii, our favorite place, for many years. Best reference books I've seen are the Revealed series - one paperback for each island. There is a website that keeps information updated. They are wonderful detailed guides. Check this website: www.wizardpub.com

Yes, thank you for everyones tips. There are so many things we want to do. Now just to deceide :confused:

I have a question about luau's on the different Islands. Other than the ships shore excursions, did any of them pick up and drop off at the pier? Or do you have to find your own transprtation to/from them. Thanks for any input!!

Yes, thank you for everyones tips. There are so many things we want to do. Now just to deceide :confused:

I have a question about luau's on the different Islands. Other than the ships shore excursions, did any of them pick up and drop off at the pier? Or do you have to find your own transprtation to/from them. Thanks for any input!!

As far as I know, you have to find your own transportation to/from. Unless you are overnight or in port very late, you won't be able to do a luau on an island. If you're on NCLA and overnight on Maui and Kauai, then you would have to find transportation for the luaus on Maui and on Kauai (unless the Kauai Marriott has a luau, which you could walk to from the pier).

beachchick

GloryB2god..Thanks so much 4 the list... I have been compiling a list since we booked our trip.. This is so helpful. I will keep copying hints probably until we leave...This board have just been a wealth of information and thank you again to all of you veteran cruisers..Keep the information coming...:D

gloryb2god - Thank you very very much to summarize the list. And thank you for everyone who has contributed. Keep this going. It helps a lot. Well, the following is my contribution from my research - (not been to them yet)

Oahu - eat - malasada -leonard's bakery on 933 Kapahulu ave

Hilo - shopping: Big Island Candies - 585 Hinano Street, Hilo, Hawaii 96720 http://www.bigislandcandies.com/

Kauai - thanks for MikeKaye's picture, and advices from Bob and other experts - pls add Kilauea Lighthouse for sightseeing.

Kauai - Eat - from Tripadvisor.com - I found recommendation of shave ice - Jo Jo and Halo Halo

Tips/ Links

www.Tripadvisor.com is very helpful too

Hope it helps. EL :)

Oahu:

Diamond Head

Hanauma Bay

Polynesian Cultural Center (but not the luau)

Pearl Harbor

Dole Plantation

Walking around Waikiki

Bishop Museum

The blow hole

Waikiki Beach

Paradise Cove Luau

Punchbowl Crater

International Marketplace in Waikiki

North Shore

Eating:

Jamba Juice

Kua'Aina (sandwiches and burgers are great)

Old Spaghetti Factory at the Ward Warehouse Mall

Dole Plantation

Shopping:

ABC stores

Aloha Bowl Swap Meet

Aloha Tower Marketplace

Ala Moana Center

Dole Cannery

Hilo Hattie

Kahala Mall

Waikiki Beach

We just returned from Hawaii this past Tuesday and we miss it already - I would add my 2 cents that the Volcano National Park is a must see - we really enjoyed that. The Road to Hana was also beautiful - but take dramamine if you are prone to car sickness - the road is very curvy!!

We can't wait to go back - so really appreciate reading about the many other "must see's and do's"

Polly

Kim~~~I found a clothing store with very classy, unique women's clothing in Lahaina called Serendipity. There is another store at the cannery mall down the street. I found things there I had never seen anywhere else - on the mainland or Hawaii - and I can't wait to go back. If they are out of your size at one place they will call the other and see if they have it there.

Kim~~~I found a clothing store with very classy, unique women's clothing in Lahaina called Serendipity. There is another store at the cannery mall down the street. I found things there I had never seen anywhere else - on the mainland or Hawaii - and I can't wait to go back. If they are out of your size at one place they will call the other and see if they have it there.

Ohhh...sounds good. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Kim

Here is some helpful car rental information from my upcoming trip to Hawaii. This is for NCL Pride of America's ports of call, I assume it's the same for the other ships. You use the airport locations for everything except Kona, which the airport is like 9 miles away from the port.

-

http://www.thrifty.com

1 GENERAL LYMAN FIELD

HILO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

HILO, HI 96720

UNITED STATES

(877) 283-0898 map

Pickup Date: May 13, 2007 at 09:30 AM

Return Location: HILO AIRPORT, HI, USA

1 GENERAL LYMAN FIELD

HILO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

HILO, HI 96720

(877) 283-0898

Return Date: May 13, 2007 at 06:00 PM

Pickup Location: KAHULUI AIRPORT, MAUI, HI, USA

740 KAONAWAI ST

KAHULUI AIRPORT IN TERMINAL

KAHULUI, HI 96732

UNITED STATES

(877) 283-0898 map

Pickup Date: May 14, 2007 at 09:30 AM

Return Location: KAHULUI AIRPORT, MAUI, HI, USA

740 KAONAWAI ST

KAHULUI AIRPORT IN TERMINAL

KAHULUI, HI 96732

(877) 283-0898

Return Date: May 15, 2007 at 06:00 PM

Pickup Location: Kona - King Kamameha Hotel (use for Cruise Ship Arrivals)-KOAN02/Hotel/KAILUA, HI

Pickup Location Phone: 808-329-2745

Return Location: Kona - King Kamameha Hotel (use for Cruise Ship Arrivals)-KOAN02/Hotel/KAILUA, HI

Pickup Date/Time: WEDNESDAY, MAY 16, 2007 @ 8:30 AM

Return Date/Time: WEDNESDAY, MAY 16, 2007 @ 4:00 PM

TIME & PLACE Pickup Location: LIHUE AIRPORT, KAUAI, HI, USA

3120 OIHANA STREET

LIHUE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

LIHUE, HI 96766

UNITED STATES

(877) 283-0898 map

Pickup Date: May 17, 2007 at 09:30 AM

Return Location: LIHUE AIRPORT, KAUAI, HI, USA

3120 OIHANA STREET

LIHUE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

LIHUE, HI 96766

(877) 283-0898

Return Date: May 18, 2007 at 02:00 PM

Hilo Map (backup link)

Kahului (Maui) Map (backup link)

Kona Map (backup link)

Nawiliwili (Kauai) Map (backup link)

The maps are in Microsoft XPS format, cause I don't have a PDF printer installed at work. Internet Explorer should open them.

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

We came back from our 4/8 cruise and I already want to go back! There are still so many places we didn't go and so many things we didn't do. We did not have malasadas or Maui Tacos so we must go back!

JoJo's Shave Ice in Kauai--yummy! On the way to Waimea Canyon, in our case, on our way back from Waimea Canyon. Got the Tropical Rainbow with Macademia nut ice cream at the bottom. Wow!

If you are flying United, they play a game called "Half-way to Hawaii", guess what the time will be when the plane is half way to Hawaii. Make sure you save the coupon for Hilo Hattie for the coffee mugs (2 coffee mugs with purchases over $50.) I kept my coupon but totally forgot about it until we left Hawaii. Hilo Hattie in Kona was suppose to give free mugs to cruise ship customers (their people at the pier holding signs that says "Free shuttle and coffee mug"), but the people who worked there didn't know about it. When they finally figured it out, they only gave us one mug for our purchase of over $50. Pay for your items separately if you want more than one mugs. I know, it's just coffee mugs, I am cheap and I like mugs!:p

I read on this thread about the receipts for ABC Stores and forgot about it. By the time the store clerk reminded me in Maui I have already threw most of them away.

Kona was our shopping port. Free shuttle to Wal-Mart to get coffee and macadamia nuts (onion flavor and wasabi flavor) as gifts.

Check out the prices at ABC Stores and the ship gift shop. It may be cheaper at the gift shop on board. For NCL Latitude members you have 10% discount on everything automatically.

Here is some helpful car rental information from my upcoming trip to Hawaii. This is for NCL Pride of America's ports of call, I assume it's the same for the other ships. You use the airport locations for everything except Kona, which the airport is like 9 miles away from the port.

-

http://www.thrifty.com

The Thrifty locations in Maui (Kahului) and Kauai (Lihue) aren't at the airport terminal (despite what the reservations say -- mine said the same too) -- the Kahului one may be on airport grounds but it's not near the terminal or the other car rental sites. The Kauai site isn't at the airport -- it's also a stand-alone site. Just an FYI for when the shuttle doesn't take you to the airport...

What a great idea!!! Thank you ROCcrusier, this is just what we needed!

We are going on NCL's POH 5-14-07 and can't wait! As soon as we get back I will see if I have anything to add to the cheat sheet.

Thanks to everyone for great ideas!!

Sadilay:)

• 2 weeks later...

Maui:

Big Beach

Haleakala National Park

Lahaina Front Street

Pa'ia

Royal Lahaina Luau

Eating:

BJ's Chicago Pizzeria

Fred's Mexican Cafe