From Warnermunde to Schwerin Castle

We will be in Warnermunde with Celebrity Constellation on Aug. 10. I'd like to know if there is a train from Warnermunde to Schwerin Castle, and about how much does it cost, and how long is the train ride.

Thanks,

Alicia

Great idea – hope you don't mind me using it too. As far as the cost is concerned, you can purchase a Mecklernburg-Vorpommern Ticket for 21 euro for up to five adults. It is valid from 9 a.m. on weekdays and the whole day on weekends for regional trains (RE or RB) and surburban trains (S).

Thank you both for the info!! Very helpful!! Do you know how far is the Castle from the train station?

Selly, are you traveling with us on Constellation? if so, you are more than welcome to join our group to the Castle. For the Mecklernburg-Vorpommern Ticket, can I buy it at the station or do I have to buy it in advance online?

Thanks,

Alicia

ASW: Thank you for your kind invitation to join you on your trip to Schwerin but we already took this cruise last month. However … we liked it so much that we wan't to repeat it next June … which is why I am interested in your idea.

You can buy the M-V ticket at the Warnemuende station. The castle seems to be a good mile away from the station in Schwerin but might be an interesting walk as part of it would be through the old town. There will be plenty of time as the Constellation has a long day in Warnemuende to accommodate the tours to Berlin.

Hope you have a nice time in Schwerin, Selly

• 3 weeks later...

Selly,

We took your advice and purchased the Mecklernburg-Vorpommern Ticket from Warnermunde. Still 21 euro per 5 people. The ticket master let us on the 8:30am train although technically we can't be on it until 9am :-) We got to Schwerin before 10am. We loved Schwerin!! We had a very enjoyable walk to the Castle through the old town. Unfortunately the Castle was under restoration, so we only saw the garden which was beautiful. We then walked to the small plaza by the church, and decided to go up the church's bell tower. It was worth the work out (about 150 steps up through the tiny spiral stairway) and the buck fifty admission charge, you can see the whole town from the tower, and it was very pretty. We had a light lunch and couple of excellent german beers. After that we rode the train back to Rostock and bought a tram pass and did the sightseeing via tram. We got off at University plaza, and walked around. The kids saw McD, and went in for fries. We also stop at the city hall and walk around the market across the street from city hall. very interesting... We got back to Warnermunde around 5pm, and went back to the ship because my mother-in-law was very tired after a long day out walking. Some of our friends stayed in town, and said that Warnermunde came alive around 6pm, with bands playing, people dancing, good food, good beers! The ship finally departed by 10pm when the last bus from Berlin was back. It was a fun day! Thank you for your info. Hope you will have a great time when you go next year!

Alicia

ASW - Thanks very much for the information and details. My DW and I will be on the Constellation next June and I was looking for ideas while at port in Germany. Its been a long time since I took German - will be fun to get my tongue wrapped around it again, even for a short time. I must still know at least ten or twenty words including Bahnhof :rolleyes:

Archived