Holland vs. Celebrity

wilsonzoo

Can anyone offer insight into comparing Holland to Celebrity, on an overall quality basis (economy, cabins, food, personnel, activities/entertainment, etc.)? I'm thinking about one of Celebrity's Mexico cruises, however my DH is such a staunch HAL follower that I'm a little worried that he may go into it with a pre-formed opinion that this cruise just won't be of the same quality as his much-loved HAL. Any ammunition I can toss out to him to ease those worries would be helpful!

[url="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=58656&highlight=Celebrity"]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=58656&highlight=Celebrity[/url]
This thread was last posted to yesterday and has some feedback for you.

I cant imagine that anyone would be unhappy with Celebrity as opposed to HAL. It seems that they are close enough. If you seach around you will find plenty on this topic.
THe big problem is whne people favor one line, they are constantly comparing and tend to find fault - perhaps not acknowledging the areas where the other line has strenghts.
It took me a while not to do this and I still need to work against being a cruise critic. Its a sure way to undermine ones vacation experience. I really try and enjoy what is special and unique about the various lines.
For example, my daughter and i did a flower arranging class in the conservatory. And I did like the Martini bar !

We love Celebrity. With that said, we love the actual ships of Holland. We have sailed on Celebrity 5 times and only on Holland once even though we are once again taking Holland out of Boston on 9/11 for the New England/Canada cruise. The food and service on Celebrity has always been exceptional. On our one Holland cruise, we found the food did not live up to the expectations based on the menu. It just lacked that special something that made it exceptional. Also, we experienced the service in the dining room to be definitely lacking. For example, one night we were handed the dessert menus and no one had yet cleared one plate from our table. I believe that the two things you pay for that vary from different lines are the food and the service. This said, we love the itinerary of our fall cruise and are hoping that our last experience was one time only.

[quote name='Jacqueline']I cant imagine that anyone would be unhappy with Celebrity as opposed to HAL. It seems that they are close enough. If you seach around you will find plenty on this topic.
THe big problem is whne people favor one line, they are constantly comparing and tend to find fault - perhaps not acknowledging the areas where the other line has strenghts.
It took me a while not to do this and I still need to work against being a cruise critic. Its a sure way to undermine ones vacation experience. I really try and enjoy what is special and unique about the various lines.
For example, my daughter and i did a flower arranging class in the conservatory. And I did like the Martini bar ![/QUOTE]
We fell for the Celebrity hype and booked a cruise on Century. It was the ONLY time that I was ready to leave the ship before the cruise was over. We found the service to be condescending. Even though we were in a suite, the front desk could not be bothered with our problems. Yes, the food was good. The dining room was very very very crowded. Did I mention that you needed a shoe horn to move about in the dining room or that our table would have comfortably held 6 or even 8 but had10? After HAL’s idea of a suite, I was so disappointed with Celebrity’s sky suite. I have been in standard cabins on Carnival that were larger. Like HAL, Celebrity’s entertainment was over before midnight. If I were making the choice, I would pick HAL in a heartbeat. If I won a free Celebrity cruise, I would try to sell it. If my DH said that we were going on HAL, I would pack.

According to the recent Travel + Lesiure "2004 World's Best Awards", (see [url="http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsbest/results.cfm?cat=otherccruises"]http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsbest/results.cfm?cat=otherccruises[/url]), Celebrity edges out HAL by just a hair.

[b]:D Both are wonderful cruise lines. I must say that I do agree with what Jacqueline has said in her thread.[/b]
[b]You will have a moment on either line when you realize that reality has taken a vacation. THATS GOOD:rolleyes: [/b]
[b]Have that perfect martini, look about and see how lucky you are.;) [/b]

It's a matter of personal style. Some people like the interiors of HAL's ships. They are darker, less glass, and more traditional. However, they use interesting colors. There is a lot of "extra" stuff in the interiors of HAL ships that make them somewhat overdone in my opinion.

Celebrity ships (except Horizon and Zenith) have very modern interiors with marble and glass walls. I am trying to find words to describe HAL's interiors.... I just can't do it. How would you all describe them?

HAL has a lot of special, traditional touches that make the line unique---everything from the pillows and beds (which are the best I have ever seen on cruise ship), to the steward outside of the dining room with a selection of minds and hand-dipped chocolates.

Although HAL is unique, it is not my style. I prefer the food on Celebrity and think it is of higher quality (especially in the specialty restaurant). I think the service is more elegant and less robotic as well. I have found that the crews English is better on Celebrity, so they understand your requests and what you mean more thoroughly.

The interiors of Celebrity are modern, sophisticated, and elegant:
[url]http://www.cruisemates.com/Images/infinity/Infinity%20Grand%20Foyer.jpg[/url]

Have sailed twice on the Summit/Celebrity and the food is excellent. The specialty restaurant is worth the money. Took our first HAL cruise on the Rotterdam on a 10 night cruise from NY in May, 2004. I agree with Ter about the food on HAL, it was nothing to write home about. The food was a big disappointment but at least the dancing was very good. How many times can they offer an ice cream sundae as a dessert choice on a 10 night cruise? Don't know if we will cruise with HAL again.

Happy sailing.

We’ve sailed no Celebrity three times, HAL once. You’ll be hard pressed to find fault in either line. Both have qualities that I could do with out, and qualities that I miss.

I felt the same as you, in reading all the mixed reviews. Baer in mind that nothing is perfect, and some people are unreasonable. At a high level, food is subjective my taste’s differ from yours, but found it very good. Both lines have excellent service in all area and the ships are well maintained.

The ship is great, go have a good time, if you like Celebrity (as I do) you will like the Z.

[quote name='suzee'] How many times can they offer an ice cream sundae as a dessert choice on a 10 night cruise? [/QUOTE]
That's kind of an unfair criticism of HAL because it makes it sound as if it was one of only a small amount of dessert choices and you were more or less forced to select an ice cream sundae several nights if you wanted dessert.

Actually they can offer ice cream desserts 10 times at dinner on a 10 day cruise and most people appreciate the option. Ice cream sundaes with a variety of flavors and toppings are offered as a dessert every night, the same as you might find a baked potato on the menu of a land restaurant- always there, but only one of many side dish choices.

HAL offers at least 4 or 5 various dessert choices every night plus several sugar-free desserts also. IN ADDITION TO those various choices ice cream sundaes are offered as a staple on the dessert menu for those pax who might enjoy having a variety of sundaes available. Your criticism is MOST misleading. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Jacqueline']For example, my daughter and i did a flower arranging class in the conservatory. And I did like the Martini bar ![/QUOTE]Jacqueline-
I have to say that was one of the most spendid things about my cruise on the Millinnieum in 2000 was the conservatory! What a beautiful place:) My best friend and I, both flower nuts, became friends with the woman that ran the conservatory, and she supplied us with wonderfully fresh cut flowers for our cabin for just about wholesale rate a few times!!

I have recommended many times on the questionnaire at the end of a HAL cruise that I wish that HAL would provide that option, an availablity of flowers on board, especially during the longer cruises. On the Amsterdam, they had a wonderful floral arranger, who gave lovely arranging demonstrations. I had wished that half way thru our cruise I could have ordered another floral arrangement for our cabin, as the first one got rather weary looking about a week into the 17 day cruise.:cool:

In my opinion:

Celebrity excels in: Food, the more sedate atmosphere they put forth (less announcements, etc.), more embarkation ports including San Juan.

HAL excels in: Friendliness of the staff, nicer/bigger cabins, more special touches (i.e., delicious bites before dinner), nicer cozier ships.

All-in-all a toss up --- price and itinerary would be my deciding factor.

The covered pool by the Health Club on Celebrity Millenium was a most wonderful area for dining. There was a healthy breakfast and lunch also served there. There were palm trees around the pool that gave such a relaxing mood; not many ate there so it was really peaceful.

apfra, forgive me! I am laughing so hard at your post of July 30! What a perk after dinner....a selection of "MINDS"??? Perhaps I could acquire one with a better memory?? Too funny.....a selection of minds and chocolates. What could be better?

In reality, and from our original minds...we like Celebrity, HAL , and Princess. All do have very different fine points. The food is truly exceptional on Celebrity, and the table service was divine. HAL has the best cabins and the friendliest crew. HAL also has the best verandah furnishings. We love the dining options on Princess. I would go on any of them any time!

I didn't really mean to get an oar in, as I have only been on HAL, and each cruise was different and wonderful in its own way. On one cruise the duck dishes were superb. On another cruise the lamb dishes were superb. On one cruise the lobster tails were more than an inch long. I really have no complaints about the food on HAL. And our next cruise will be on HAL.

But I have to say that, if only one cruise line offers minds AND chocolates after dinner, and that is HAL, those of you who have been thinking of voting for Bush would do well to sail on HAL before November, AND REPLENISH YOURSELVES FOR THE MINDS YOU HAVE LOST! The chocolates, as Bush, will do no good for you, your children, or any living thing.

Love, Doug

Comparing my one Celebrity cruise this summer to many HAL cruises, I thought the lines were comparable in service and amenities. I truly do believe, however, that even on a cruiseline, the experience can vary from ship to ship. For myself, I compared my experience on the HAL Oosterdam with the Celebrity Summit, and I found more things comparable than different. Both provided an enjoyable cruise experience. Obviously, each line excels in some ways. If you focus on what you like about the line instead of what you consider their shortcomings, you'll enjoy yourself much better.

[quote name='Tricia724']Comparing my one Celebrity cruise this summer to many HAL cruises, I thought the lines were comparable in service and amenities. I truly do believe, however, that even on a cruiseline, the experience can vary from ship to ship. For myself, I compared my experience on the HAL Oosterdam with the Celebrity Summit, and I found more things comparable than different. Both provided an enjoyable cruise experience. Obviously, each line excels in some ways. If you focus on what you like about the line instead of what you consider their shortcomings, you'll enjoy yourself much better.[/QUOTE]

Well said, Tricia, especially the part of focusing on what "you like about the line instead of what you consider their shortcomings."

Having said that, I do like Celebrity's omitting those distracting bingo announcements! It never fails...just as the best part of my book reveals itself, some voice interrupts to yell the news over the loudspeaker telling me I could be having a better time at a mind-numbing-make-money-for-the-cruise-line-experience by going to play bingo!

Archived