Eurostar: bypass London for Ashford?

sullaRaffaello

I'm going to be arriving in Southampton off an E/B QM2 crossing and want to go directly to the continent via the Eurostar. Would it be better to try to get to Ashford directly from Southampton, to pick it up there, or is it better to go to London and get it there? I presume that the answer to this would probably hinge on the ease or difficulty, and cost, of going directly to Ashford from Southampton. Thanks for any answers.

Trains from Southampton to Ashford go via Waterloo (London) - and Eurostar is at Waterloo in any case - so much easier to do Southampton-Waterloo-Eurostar, than adding an extra leg to go to Ashford.

Peter, Guernsey

However it does rather depend when your crossing arrives. From 14/11/07 the station at Waterloo will be replaced by St. Pancras International, and it is my understanding that Ashford will lose virtually all Eurostar trains.

The bonus is the wonderful 1868 Barlow trainshed at St. Pancras, which has been very impressively restored.

Matthew

I took the Eurostar to Paris after my crossing in 2004. You can purcahse a transfer directly to Waterloo station from Southampton. When I went, my sister flew and met me in England. I purchased a transfer to Heathrow to meet my sisters flight.

I'm going to be arriving in Southampton off an E/B QM2 crossing and want to go directly to the continent via the Eurostar. Would it be better to try to get to Ashford directly from Southampton, to pick it up there, or is it better to go to London and get it there? I presume that the answer to this would probably hinge on the ease or difficulty, and cost, of going directly to Ashford from Southampton. Thanks for any answers.

Go via Waterloo, a very easy transfer. Once off the Southampton train, turn left and go down the escalator to the Eurostar check-in. I have done this several times. Also, you have many more departures from W'loo than Ashford International.

Ted

Archived