Advice please! Lots of quetions on flights and hotels

TXlawgirl

We are booked on the Freedom for 5/6/2007. We are coming in from Texas. Would you suggest flying in the morning of the cruise and then just taking a cab directly from the airport to the port (I think the earlist flight gets into MIA around noon). Anyone know how long of a drive it is from MIA to the ports? Also, about how much is the cab fare? Is there another option like a shuttle?

Second option would be to fly in on Saturday night and stay over in a hotel and then take a cab the next day from the hotel to the port. Obviously this is a better option, but how much more expensive of an option will this be. Not only now do I have to pay for a hotel, but I have to pay for a cab to the hotel, and then from the hotel to the port the next day. Can we get a hotel for under $100 that's close enough to the port that we won't be making up the savings in cab fare? (I looked at a few hotels near the port, i.e. cheap cab ride over, but they were all around $250 a night).

As you can probably tell, we have maxed out and don't want to spend alot of extra money. If it is really worth it to fly in the day before then we will do it. If so, can anyone recomend a cheap (but not scary) hotel and give me an idea on cab fare? Just trying to budget for this. THANKS!!!!!!!!! :)

If something happens and you arrive late, and the ship leaves without you, the cost of the hotel is going to look really inexpensive. I highly recommend you arrive a day early. That is what I am going to do, and will my sister, brother-in-law and two nephews, who are also from Texas (we are going about one month after you).

Check for prices on Hotwire and Priceline. Also, look into flying into FLL the day before, renting a car, and driving from FLL to the hotel, and from the hotel to the pier. Then turn in the rental car at one of the downtown rental offices. The rental car might be less expensive than a taxi.

There are hotels in Miami (maybe close to the airport that provide free shuttle service from the airport to the hotel...... Some of these are not too expensive ($100 - $130 - - but try Priceline for $60) Some may also have free shuttle to the pier... they all know that the Cruise Pier is a big part of their income... Check around; it's not that far from the airport to the pier.

Definitely try to fly in the day before, you will be less stressed and if the unforseen happens you have plenty of time to make the cruise.

Try the Holiday Inn downtown , Port of Miami, it is clean, reasonable and the closest to the port. We have stayed there several times and are doing it again in March.

Weather shouldn't be a factor as far as flying goes, in May. If you arrive the day of, it takes about 20 min. to drive to port. Cab fare runs around $15-20 dollars. (Cant remember exactly--sorry!!)

Rooms in Miami are expensive. We've only stayed at the Intercontinental, which is pretty costly. (But very nice!!) There is a Holiday Inn very close to port--I'm pretty sure it's less expensive, but by how much, I can't say. I guess demand for rooms fuels the cost!

I'd make sure I had insurance, just in case, and I'd go ahead and arrive the day of, if the extra money is an issue. You'll have PLENTY of time to make the ship as long as your flight arrives on time.

Try the Red Roof Inn near the airport. Inexpensive with a free shuttle to the dock in the morning.:cool:

Thanks for the tip!!! They have free shuttle service from the airport as well as free shuttle service to the docks. And they are only around $120 a night which is way less then some of the other hotels I've looked at. Thanks for the info.

Archived