Noordam Balcony and other questions from a First Time Holland America Cruiser

Once a year

We are planning on booking our first Holland America on the Noordam for Dec 1/07 (boy are hotels expensive in NY at this time) and we have a few questions.

1) In looking at the brochure it appears that the mid-ship balconies on the Verandah Deck (VE and VF) are smaller then the Upper Promenade Deck (VD). I was hoping someone could confirm this and possibly give some differences in size.

2) What are the seas usually like leaving from New York early December or is variable?

3) Is there a charge for the Hydro Therapy pool and if so what is it?

Thanks in advance for any info.

...2) What are the seas usually like leaving from New York early December or is variable?

It's Winter in the North Atlantic---expect a bumpy ride. You won't then be disappointed if the seas are calm. And they can be!

1) In looking at the brochure it appears that the mid-ship balconies on the Verandah Deck (VE and VF) are smaller then the Upper Promenade Deck (VD).*

Yes, They're about 3' deep - @ 18-24 inches shallower than elsewhere.

2) What are the seas usually like leaving from New York early December or is variable?

Variable, but likely rough.* Like RuthC said - it's the North Atlantic in winter!

;)

3) Is there a charge for the Hydro Therapy pool and if so what is it?

Yes - $20/day or @$175 for a pass for the entire cruise - Couples get a break of they want a pass for the entire cruise (I forget how much - @ $325???...)

In looking at the brochure it appears that the mid-ship balconies on the Verandah Deck (VE and VF) are smaller then the Upper Promenade Deck (VD). I was hoping someone could confirm this and possibly give some differences in size.

John & I absolutely love "our" VD cabin - 4045. We've been in it twice we like it so much!

Look at the plans for deck 4 for the 4 VD cabins on each side of the ship - they are just behind the forward elevators & right in front of the "hump." The balconies for these 4 cabins stick out an extra 2.5ft from the rest of the ship. That extra space is HUGE. Also, be aware that the balconies forward of these 4 have the steel wall (I think they might be VFs) instead of the plexi. If you are sitting in your cabin, you can't see out.

We did a cabin crawl on our recent cruise & visited a VC on deck 5. It's supposedly the exact same sq ft, but the cabin just seemed smaller than ours - don't know why. :confused:

Enjoy! :)

We were in the furthest aft port side VD cabin on deck 4 last week (4172.)

We loved it. It had the plexiglass wall on the veranda (as opposed to

steel bulkhead on the forward cabins.) It was also a larger veranda than we've had on other lines. only difference is no tub, shower only in the aft VD's.

(Also wish they'd change the designation, VD cabin isn't exactly something you want to brag about!).

Spa pass for 2 was $250 for the 10 day cruise

Well, Once a year, if you do make the switch, please join our Roll Call! So far, it's very slow, only Steve and me, Karen. Looking forward to speaking with you over the many months to come. ;)

Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=464165

Yes, Manhattan hotel rates are absolutely insane for November 30. :eek:

Thanks for all the info. As a long time Princess Cruiser I am somewhat hesitant in making a switch from a line that has always met or exceeded our expectations.

I think the upper promenade verandas are just a few inches deeper than other decks. As for noise we were right above the kitchen and never heard a thing. I'd definately do a cabin toward aft on upper veranda on a Vista again.

John & I absolutely love "our" VD cabin - 4045. We've been in it twice we like it so much!

Look at the plans for deck 4 for the 4 VD cabins on each side of the ship - they are just behind the forward elevators & right in front of the "hump." The balconies for these 4 cabins stick out an extra 2.5ft from the rest of the ship. That extra space is HUGE. Also, be aware that the balconies forward of these 4 have the steel wall (I think they might be VFs) instead of the plexi. If you are sitting in your cabin, you can't see out.

We did a cabin crawl on our recent cruise & visited a VC on deck 5. It's supposedly the exact same sq ft, but the cabin just seemed smaller than ours - don't know why. :confused:

Enjoy! :)

I was thrilled to read this post :) We're booked for VD cabin 4049 on an upcoming cruise.

We are looking at the VD cabins for our Alaska cruise. Is the Upper Promenade deck the only deck that has the deeper balconies?

Also, with the Promenade deck being below is there any problems with noise from there in the VD cabins?

Thanks

Wayne

It might be more accurate to think of the VE and VF balconies on the Verandah deck as being the only ones with smaller balconies. (The VF balconies on Verandah deck are smaller but have plexiglass; the VF balconies on Upper Promenade deck are deeper but have the steel hulls).

Essentially, the VD category is the lowest class of room that doesn't have any downside to the balconies. (VH = steel; VF = smaller or steel; VE = smaller).

(Also, all of the VD cabins are on the upper promenade deck--cabins with the larger balconies on other decks are all VC or higher)

Word of advice from someone who just left a VF Saturday: book an OV or interior instead, or move up from a VF. I loved Upper Promenade deck or whatever it was (Deck 4) but the steel balconies are so frustrating! You can't see anything while you're sitting on the bed, or sitting anywhere inside, and if you're sitting on the verandah itself you have to get out of the seat to see anything at all but sky. Seriously, if I had to do it again I would have booked an inside, saved the money, and gone to 3 or up top to see us pull in and out of port- that's what we did most of the time, anyway. Lots of camaraderie that way!

HI all, this is my first post as a CC member. I have been "lurking" for some time as I was preparing for my first HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam 12/2/06 with 3 other couples who are seasoned cruisers. I got so much great info from all of you and want to thank you all since I had so many questions. Loved everything about the cruise except for our dining room staff. We had lower dining room latest seating and seemed our staff rushed us out and were at times downright rude! We all complained but nothing was done...they even forgot the cake we requested for my husbands birthday on the last formal night..but I am not here to complain! We had VD for our first cruise and loved it..4 rooms in a row from 4134 on back. These verandahs were bigger and better and we had them all open to enjoy our champagne every afternoon and evening sunsets . We were above the kitchen and I will say at times early in the morning we did hear the sound of the "walk ins" (refrigerators) opening and closing but since I have been in the restaurant business, this really did not bother me much. We just booked the Noordam for 12/1/07 for our first 11 day cruise and originally booked a VF cabin until I looked further and indeed found that they have steel half the way up. We were able to change to a VD cabin and have the larger verandah but it did cost an extra $100.00pp but if I am paying for a view..I want my view!! I am looking forward to meeting some of you on this cruise and will post onto the Roll call...I can't wait until December!

I thought I read somewhere that this cabin, VF 5053 has plexiglass, I hope I'm right, since we're sailing on 2/17. It seems to be in the mid-ship by two cabins, not in the aft like the rest of the AF cabins on deck 5.

Does anyone know if VF has a refridgerator in it? Another thing I thought I read someplace, but now I'm not so sure.

Thanks!

Kathy

I thought I read somewhere that this cabin, VF 5053 has plexiglass, I hope I'm right, since we're sailing on 2/17. It seems to be in the mid-ship by two cabins, not in the aft like the rest of the AF cabins on deck 5.

Does anyone know if VF has a refridgerator in it? Another thing I thought I read someplace, but now I'm not so sure.

Thanks!

Kathy

Yes, 5053 is plexiglass. The VF's on Deck 5 have plexiglass, rather than steel (which are on deck 4). These balconies are 2 feet shallower, however--3 feet versus 5 feet. But I would be able to see outside from the room and the balcony than have the extra space on the balcony with steel in front of me, so I think the VF's on deck 5 are preferable to those on deck 4.

I'm so glad they're plexiglass... my kids love to look out and since they are 2 and 6, they would have been very disappointed to be blocked by steel. All their other cruises had the great view. Too bad it's a little smaller, but in the deck layout, it's so hard to tell. It's mid-ship, right next to a handicap room, not aft, where they look a little smaller. Maybe we'll get lucky! I'll know next Saturday!!!

Kathy

Jeff, We will be in the same Balcony Cabin as you were VD #4172. Happy to hear it has plexiglass on the balcony. How was your Room Steward? Did you hear any noise being the cabin is over the Restaurant? Did you feel a lot of movement in rough seas? We chose a rear cabin rather than a forward balcony as We know this time of year the Atlantic can be rough. Any info will be appreciated. Hope You enjoyed a great cruise. Thanks for the info. IKE

Archived