Juneau - Auke Bay

RichardK

Some help, please, from those who have first-hand knowledge……...

We are in Juneau for a relatively short period. Trying to see if we can squeeze any other things in. We are booked on the "Whale Watch & Wildlife Quest" tour. I understand that we will be taken (bused?) to Auke Bay where the boat (catamaran) will leave from.

Can someone please tell me how long of a ride this will be -- i.e., cruise ship dock to Auke Bay??

Thanks.

20-30 minutes, depending on how much of a "tour" the bus driver is trying to give. For the Allen Marine tour, you're likely to be bussed out to Auke Bay, then all the way back downtown when the tour is over. Most of the other sights and attractions are between Auke Bay and downtown, so you'll lose quite a bit of time with the out-and-back approach. Many independant (and a few ship based) tours will book multiple excursions together (I think they call it "co-booking" here at CC) so the shuttle or taxi can take you from the end of one excursion to the beginning of another.

Happy Travels!

-Case

Richard:

Are you going on the Whale and Wildlife Quest thru Carnival? I have booked my husband and myself on this trip, but don't know much about it, like who provides the trip and how many will be on the catamaran. If you have any answers I would appreciate it. Thanks. Getting excited, June 13th not that far off.

Syd.:)

Richard:

Are you going on the Whale and Wildlife Quest thru Carnival? I have booked my husband and myself on this trip, but don't know much about it, like who provides the trip and how many will be on the catamaran. If you have any answers I would appreciate it. Thanks. Getting excited, June 13th not that far off.

Syd.:)

The "Whale Watch & Wildlife Quest" is handled by Allen Marine in Juneau. These are the larger, double-decker catamarans that carry anywhere from 80-150 passengers. There are quite a few comments and reviews scattered here on the forum. Do a search for "Allen Marine" and you'll find tons of info.

-Case

let's try this again, maybe it will post this time

last sept, 4 of my fellow roll callers went with the "wildlife quest". we saw their boat as we got to where the whales were. saw thier pictures also.

they got a tour around the bay/area, went to a beach for some sea lion or harbor seal watching (can't tell from the pictures i have), then went over to see a view of mendenhall thru the mountains. plus some whale watching. the boat is a big double decker with about 100 or more. i think all the cruise lines use it as one of their excurisons. my friends enjoyed it, but they weren't as big a whale fan as i am. i got several hours of JUST whales, they got about an hour or less (due to going to see the other sights.) it would have driven me crazy when the ship pulled away from the whales, i had to contain myself when capt larry turned his boat to go back in. :mad:

We're doing it through NCL.

Toyz>>>Your description of what we can expect on the "Wildlife Quest" tour is exactly what we were hoping for --- i.e., not focused solely on whales, but rather trying to include other wildlife sightings as well, along with a "smattering" of scenery.

Plus the larger size of the vessel makes for a smoother ride which DW likes, and may even offer me the opportunity to get a cold beer. :)

Hey Toyz711..How did you like Capt. Larry? Which boat were you on? We are booked with him in June on the Island Princess. Looking forward to the trip. We are on the 9:00 am excursion party of 15 on his orca 20pp boat so looking for the personalized touch with fewer people. What would you reccomend for the balance of the day? We are in port until 9PM. Thanks for your information :)

i was with capt larry (himself) on his purple boat. though the boat holds about 30, we only had 15. lots of room, great open viewing area across the back, another on top of the cabin. i didn't go above, the water was a little rough and i have lousey balance:D . even my DH suggested that if i went up there, i tie myself down:eek: . i had the back deck to myself. talk to ocra enterprises about dropping off at mendenhall glacier, it's near auke bay where his boats leave from. it has welcome center, hiking trails and nice views. the shuttles run $6 pp each way. the area of juneau near the cruise ship docks, have a bunch of shops.

if you go with capt shaun, he's funny. he was the official spout watcher on our tour.

Well I have booked thru Carnival, and I guess that Allen Marine is the one that does the tour. DH will not go to an independent as he worries alot and likes to know that Carnival is responsible, and will wait for the tour to return.

We saw this happen in Skagway in 2001 when 4 buses were late returning. The ship was held up while the buses drop off the passengers, and quickly left after the individuals were hurried onto the ship.

DH would not have a good time if he had to worry all the time while on the tour that the boat would return on time and get the passengers back to the ship.

Syd.

These are protected, inside waters, not open ocean. Most people who worry about calm seas and rough boat rides are very pleasantly surprised when they do get here.

Nobody can predict the weather, and the sea conditions can change literally minute by minute.

IMHO the smaller and medium boats should be able to do more (slow down, change direction, etc.) to smooth out the ride anyway. If I were doing the booking, I would book the tour that I wanted most, and that fit my schedule best, and not worry too much about how the boats ride. I'm sure every captain on the water will do everything possible to ensure everyone's safety, comfort and fun.

-Case

nothing against anyone else..but the 20 odd years experience with whales is what everyone goes with ocra enterprises for (capt larry). they work with whale researchers and others. their boats are wide with nice areas to walk around in. when i went out, it was bumpy...i saw the double decker trying to adjust to the waves as much as anyone else.

safety should not be a concern for anyone, everyone has to protect their customers or they would be out of business.

as far as rough waters, if you are taking something for sea sickness on the cruise ship..it shouldn't matter about a whale boat.

Archived