Residence Inn - Clear Lake - Houston

BeachBumMama

I got this hotel for a post cruise stay, has anyone stayed there? Got 2 rooms for 6 people but may have to get another. Figured 1 room would hold 4 but their typical rooms say it sleeps 3. Got it on priceline so not sure if they'd give me the 2 bedroom. Anyone have any experience with this? Reviews I've read sound good and this area was recommended as being convenient to many things. I'm debating on whether to get it pre-cruise also or just go with the Comfort Inn in LaPorte since we don't get in till about 9:00 Friday night.

This hotel/motel is in my area and, consequently, I haven't stayed there. It is, however, in a very convenient location and looks nice. You'll be close to NASA, a large mall, lots of good restaurants, the Kemah Boardwalk and only +/-20 minutes from the Port of Houston cruise terminal.

Any questions for a "local"?

Thanks ClearLake, you were the one who pointed me in that direction and thanks for that too. Seems a convenient area, we didn't want to be in the middle of nowhere and my hubby is not too fond of big cities when he has to drive. There are 6 of us so we're renting a car as it makes more sense so we'll have some freedom to move around. Our flights are actually at IAH and I know its further away than Hobby but prices worked out better.

As a 'local', is there a restaurant you'd particularly recommend? I'm assuming the typical franchises are available but is there any in the area we wouldn't think to stop at being 'out of towners'? Or an attraction you'd suggest? We'll probably do the Space Center, Kemah, I don't know anything else in the area so if you have any suggestions... suggest away! This is our first time out of Houston, we've always been out of Florida or Boston and we like to explore the cities we haven't been to. I was thinking about tracking down Gilley's for the shear 'Yeah, we've been there' factor. Is that anywhere close and convenient? I thought I saw somewhere that it was in the area of Houston.

I've booked this for post cruise and I think I'll go ahead and try to get pre-cruise also. Or the same area anyway. Thanks again!

Hi..You are right there are millions of chain type restaurants to choose from :D If you do head to Kemah..Which I would recommend...There are a lot of really nice restaurnts there,and lots to do.Most of there are owned by the Landrys chain,but the each have their own atmosphere...And they are all pretty cool...Some fun amuesment rides and specialty shops as well.

I don't know when you are wanting to hit Walmart..If it is as soon as you get to town prior to your night at the hotel...there is one on the West side of Interstate 45 1 exit North of the exit your hotel is on..Heading south on 45,you would take the El Dorado exit and it is there on the right...You would then leave there stay on the feeder road,go down one exit to Bay Area Bld...Take the second exit (under the overpass at Bay Area) and circle under..You hotel is about 2 miles down.

If you want a Wal-mart on your way to the ship...I would stop at the one in La Marque/Texas City...It would be a little easier in and out.

There is also a Super Target just on the other side of Bay Area Blvd across from the Mall.

I could list some local favorite restaurants...What type of food would you like??

Here are a few other things close

NASA Space Center Houston - 3 miles

Armand Bayou Nature Center - 5 miles

Kemah Boardwalk - 9 miles

Galveston Bay - 9 miles

Gulf Greyhound Park - 14 miles

Downtown Houston - 21 miles

Sam Houston Race Park - 44 miles

Hi..You are right there are millions of chain type restaurants to choose from :D If you do head to Kemah..Which I would recommend...There are a lot of really nice restaurnts there,and lots to do.Most of there are owned by the Landrys chain,but the each have their own atmosphere...And they are all pretty cool...Some fun amuesment rides and specialty shops as well.

Yes, we planned on doing the Kemah area, I found their website and saw the Landrys chain of restaurants. Was going to try to hit the Aqaurium rest., that looked pretty cool. Are the amusement rides and such open all winter?

And the Walmart or such we wouldn't hit till on the way to the port on Saturday. Mainly for water and a few last minute things. So if there's one on the way that would be just as easy.

As for food, hubby and 2 others are big, big steak eaters. I would think Texas would be the perfect place to accomodate that. Any good non-franchise restaurant steak houses nearby or at least a decent driving distance? Other than that, maybe BBQ?

Thanks so much for all the help.

Well...Really close to your area of your hotel,in fact,at the same exit where the first Wal-mart is I spoke of is a pretty good steakhouse..It is part of a chain,but a very very popular one lately...Owned,at least in part by Willie Nelson..is Texas Roadhouse...very good and reasonably priced.

http://www.texasroadhouse.com/TRHintro_flash.html

This place is pretty good,but pricey..More formal dining

http://www.perrysrestaurants.com/steakhouseGrille/index.html

We like this place on that side of town for BBQ..

http://www.clearlakedining.com/sweetmesquite/

There is a Pappas BBQ not far south of you on 45,very popular but overrated in my opinion.The best is in Alvin,but about 30 min West of you...

T-Bone Toms in Kemah,but not on the Boardwalk has some BBQ and Steaks..Pretty Darn good,and fun..And Tookies,there near T-Bones has the best Hamburgers...

Wow! You have gotten lots of great information. Let me add a few favorite restaurants...

Although now a chain, Ninfa's, a Mexican restaurant, is next door to your lodging. It was started many years ago by a Houston widow and has grown into a mostly local chain. Unless someone in your group really dislikes Mexican food, a margarita and a basket of chips with Ninfa's famous green sauce (tomitilla/avocado base) is a Houston tradition.

For Italian, Carrabas, just west of your hotel, is also a Houston favorite that has turned into a chain.

BJ's, a restaurant/microbrewery, is across the street from Carrabas. It, too, is part of a smaller chain but has a nice variety of food.

The Aquarium on the Kemah Boardwalk is certainly worth seeing (and you can walk in and go upstairs to see the LARGE fish tanks without eating there) but our favorite in that area is the downstairs area of The Flying Dutchman. They offer a seafood sampler appetizer platter that will serve at least four adults - and raise their cholesterol levels at the same time.

Sweet Mesquite, which was recommended by brn2crz, is good for an informal place with good food. They recently changed their name to Star Fire Grill (no other changes - go figure!!) and are located on Bay Area Blvd. about a mile east of your motel.

I also second the recommendation of Tookies (in Seabrook on Hwy 146 just south of NASA Parkway - on the way to Kemah Boardwalk). Their hamburgers (try a Stomps Icehouse Special if you like spicy or a Beanburger if you want unique) and fried onion rings constantly win awards for "best in Houston".

Unfortunately, Gilleys, in near-by Pasadena,Texas, is gone. It was always a fun place to take our visitors (we were host family for a lot of foreign exchange students) but Mickey Gilley and his partner had a "falling out" and the place suffered and died.

If you want to experience some of the city of Houston and don't want to drive, you can drive into the Astrodome/Reliant Center area (I-45 N to Loop 610 South at Kirby), park in the Metro lot and hop on the new light rail line. It takes you through the Texas Medical Center, the Museum District, Hermann Park, and into the middle of downtown. The round trip will bring you right back to your car and you will have had an inexpensive mini-tour of Houston.

You guys are the BEST! Now I'm afraid I may have to change my flight and stay a few more days after just to get everything in. As for Gilley's, doing more research I did discover its closing. That was one thing to knock off the list. And that's good to know about the Aquarium. It looks neat, but I was wondering about the food. Sometimes places like that are more for the atmosphere and better food can be had elsewhere. We may just go in and take a peek and eat elsewhere.

The level 9 tour at NASA? I'll have to check into it, can info be had online?

Thanks to all of you! Much appreciated!

BeachBummama if you are planning on NASA have a look ath the Level 9 tour - it is not cheap but very exclusive!!! and if you have a space buff in the family this is the thing to do!!!

I tried to post this once and got the dreaded white screen! Thanks for the tip Moeve, I checked it out but it's only offered M-F and we don't get in until late on Friday and leave late Sunday. Looks really cool though!

Archived