Tell me about Sting Ray City...

chicagojayhawk

So this sucker is everywhere on the excursion list...so it must be pretty cool, right?

But what exactly is this? Is it worth checking out? Or should I save my snorkling for another island in the Western Caribbean...? What would I be missing? Or is this a big ole do not miss excursion?

Thoughts?

I had a great time at Stingray City. So much so I booked it again. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then here are five thousand words ...

StingrayCity1.jpg

StingrayCity2.jpg

StingrayCity3.jpg

StingrayCity4.jpg

StingrayCity5.jpg

We had a group of 8 women, ages 42-68 and we took the Rays Reef and Rum point trip. It was so special. We all spent at least 30-40 minutes with the rays and the crew were with us in the water. My daughter in law is short and they made sure she was ok as when it was a little rough she wasn't comfortable.

We then went snorkeling at a reef and saw a moray eel, live conch plus all the fish, it was so clear and beautiful.

On to rum point, had a great lunch, shopped in little shop there, took fresh water shower after swimming and finally headed back for ship. We traveled by beautiful homes and saw huge iguanas on their lawns which I wasn't sure would thrill me if I had one of those homes.

All in all, what a wonderful day, we bought the video and tipped extra as we were so well taken care of.

Will sure go again next time I am there.

I had a great time at Stingray City. So much so I booked it again. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then here are five thousand words ...

When did you go there. I wish it was that nice when we went. We only saw a few since there were so many people there and only once actually came over to us and the tour operator.

We are planning on doing the stingray city in March. I have always heard how exciting this excursion is, but have always been a bit tentative. Now with the Steve Irwin experience, I am more tentative. So, what is the difference between our stingrays and his stingrays?

Kathleen

Well I talked my wife into doing this excursion with all of the ammo that you guys gave me...THANK YOU! So far I am going with Captain Bryan's Buccaneer. Can someone give me the link for Nativeway? Thanks in advance.
Not to be a kill joy but we almost missed the last tender when we went on the rum reef stingray tour with Nativeway. They wouldn't listen when we told them our ship had not changed time and we were an hour ahead, had people from Carnival and RCI. Last tnder was at 3:30, we got back to the parking lot at 3:25.I know from past posts some others wil disagree with me but boy I was scared.

Hey Teajak. My family has spent many summers in Ellington. My daughter is a skater so she would attend JP Igloo with her old coach Kerry Leich.

You are right, the Rays, Reef, Rum Point tour with Nativeway cuts it close for getting back to the ship. We have done this tour 3 times and two of them were close. In Oct 06 we had people from Disney, Holland America, and our Carnival on this tour. We were the first ship to leave so we all had to get back in a hurry. Sheldon, the tour guide, was aware of our last tender (ships time vs. shore time) but it was still close. We caught the tender and there was still several tenders behind us. But when you are stuck in traffic it seems like a lifetime to get back.

Hey Teajak. My family has spent many summers in Ellington. My daughter is a skater so she would attend JP Igloo with her old coach Kerry Leich.

You are right, the Rays, Reef, Rum Point tour with Nativeway cuts it close for getting back to the ship. We have done this tour 3 times and two of them were close. In Oct 06 we had people from Disney, Holland America, and our Carnival on this tour. We were the first ship to leave so we all had to get back in a hurry. Sheldon, the tour guide, was aware of our last tender (ships time vs. shore time) but it was still close. We caught the tender and there was still several tenders behind us. But when you are stuck in traffic it seems like a lifetime to get back.

Wow, your daughter must be pretty good to have worked with him! (I'm also a skating coach, but on a more recreational level.)

... saw huge iguanas on their lawns which I wasn't sure would thrill me if I had one of those homes.

Actually, you get used to it...it's kind of like having a squirrel on your lawn when you live in North America. They don't harm anything, and they're fun to watch.

Now with the Steve Irwin experience, I am more tentative. So, what is the difference between our stingrays and his stingrays?

One big difference is that you are out in the open with the ones at Stingray City. They choose to come to you or not...and you pretty much have to buy their love and attention with squid or conch. :) If you don't have food in your hand, they'll swim by every once in a while to double-check for food, but other than that they'll mostly ignore you.

You are right, the Rays, Reef, Rum Point tour with Nativeway cuts it close for getting back to the ship.

That's the only advantage I see about taking a ship's tour. The ship tours are often identical to the private tours. Yes, usually the private tours run smaller groups, but even some of them resort to the cattle barges on busy days. And yes, the private tours are usually cheaper. However, the ship's tours guarantee that the ship will still be there when you get back, unlike the private tours... :D And for me, that's usually a big advantage...it's a long swim to the next island...

When did you go there. I wish it was that nice when we went. We only saw a few since there were so many people there and only once actually came over to us and the tour operator.

I was there in August 2004 and it was crowded. Here is another photo of Stingray City. While I doubt that it was taken on the day I was there, it closely resembles what it looked like when I was there ...

WITW-IVa.jpg

Cruizer, those are some awesome pictures. How do you insert them in to a quote? Do you use mangage a attachment?

The photos were not inserted into the quote. First came the quote. Then my written reply. Then my link to the photos. I don't use the paperclip, I use the Insert Image method (the little yellow box with a mountain in it, just below the Undo arrow).

We are planning on doing the stingray city in March. I have always heard how exciting this excursion is, but have always been a bit tentative. Now with the Steve Irwin experience, I am more tentative. So, what is the difference between our stingrays and his stingrays?

Kathleen

Physically nothing. Mentally quite a bit. First of all, understand that what happened to Steve Irwin was a freak accident. Second, people get killed by dogs, yet dogs are still "safe", because we are used to them.

Which brings me to the reason I say these stingrays are mentally different than Steve Irwin's stingray. These stingrays are used to people being around them. The guides even lift them out of the water. Steve Irwin's stingray most likely was not being fed by people ever day for the last several years. The stingrays at Stingray City are wild in name only. They are so used to people and being handled by people that they are almost tame.

We live a 1/2 mile from JP Igloo.Our tour guide was well aware of the time difference because I kept reminding him, all he would say was why are you nervous? We got on the van to return at 3:05 with all that traffic to fight back to the port,last tender at 3:30. We got to the port parking lot at 3:25.That martini sure tasted good after we got back to the ship and I could breath again.

The photos were not inserted into the quote. First came the quote. Then my written reply. Then my link to the photos. I don't use the paperclip, I use the Insert Image method (the little yellow box with a mountain in it, just below the Undo arrow).

I am clueless. I don't see any undo arrow or a little yellow box. What am I doing wrong?

I am clueless. I don't see any undo arrow or a little yellow box. What am I doing wrong?

Just above the area where you type is a two "A"s with an "X" through it, then the name of the font you are using, then the size of the font (which you can make bigger or smaller if you want), then an "A" with a colored line under it. The line is black, unless you change it to green or blue or purple or red or orange or (you get the idea) followed by a happy face (smiles :) - which are also available to the right) followed by a paper clip, followed by an undo arrow (put your mouse pointer on it and an information bubble pops up and says Undo). Below the undo arrow is a little yellow box with a mountain in it. That is the "Insert Image" box (again, put your mouse pointer on it a the information box will pop up).

If you are doing a regular post, the undo arrows don't show, just the little yellow box that has a mountain and the moon/sun in it that is at the top of the box into which you type your reply.

If you are doing a regular post, the undo arrows don't show, just the little yellow box that has a mountain and the moon/sun in it that is at the top of the box into which you type your reply. If you are doing a quote, or if you go ''advanced", the undo arrows will show up.

Just above the area where you type is a two "A"s with an "X" through it, then the name of the font you are using, then the size of the font (which you can make bigger or smaller if you want), then an "A" with a colored line under it. The line is black, unless you change it to green or blue or purple or red or orange or (you get the idea) followed by a happy face (smiles :) - which are also available to the right) followed by a paper clip, followed by an undo arrow (put your mouse pointer on it and an information bubble pops up and says Undo). Below the undo arrow is a little yellow box with a mountain in it. That is the "Insert Image" box (again, put your mouse pointer on it a the information box will pop up).

I don't have any of that I have a area below where I type that just has "post Icons" and that is it then "submit reply" and "preview post" maybe I need to set up something different?

I don't have any of that I have a area below where I type that just has "post Icons" and that is it then "submit reply" and "preview post" maybe I need to set up something different?

just checking

I have "post reply" and "go advanced." Very interesting.

I have "post reply" and "go advanced." Very interesting.

i had to change my url or http or something I think i got it.

Archived