NCL m/s Nordkapp agound in Antarctic

user8

I just read that the NCL m/s Nordkapp ran aground Tuesday afternoon off a remote island near Deception Island in the Antarctic. There were 300 people on board including 113 Americans, but no one was hurt.

Presently, the Nordkapp is at anchor in Walker Bay awaiting arrival of a sister ship to take off passengers

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-norway-cruise-trouble,0,4223634.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

I read the news article and am so glad that nobody was injured. One thought occurred to me - it says the passengers are going to be transferred to the other ship via tender. Can you imagine taking all your luggage over to another ship via tender? What an ordeal for everyone, passengers AND crew!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

If the Nordcap is delayed, will the cruisers have to Pay additional for the extended time at sea ?? I know HAL's policy is ti charge for additional days if the ship is delayed....

No, I don't think that's HAL's policy at all. I was on the ill-fated sailing of the Zuiderdam in August 2004, when Port Everglades was closed to all ships due to the hurricanes. We were supposed to dock early on Saturday morning, but could not do so until later on Monday. We stayed out to sea for about 2-1/2 extra days. No one was charged a nickle extra. In fact, even auto-tips were suspended for the extra days.

I've never heard of a cruise line charging for something like this, and I know that, at least in the case of this particular sailing, no one was charged. In fact, HAL was making some killer deals for people who wanted to stay on board for the next sailing ... an abbreviated five-dayer.

Guess this sailing was one of the reasons HAL decided to abandon the Caribbean during high hurricane season.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'll try again - previous attempts ending up with "white screen of death".

Not an NCL ship (Norewgian Cruise Lines), rather an NCV ship (Norwegian Coastal Voyages).

We took Nordnorge from Kirkenes to Bergen, 7-00, and thorougly enjoyed the trip along Norway's coast line. These are "working boats", much like the milk trains of long ago, stopping at numerous ports, loading and off-loading cargo.

The ships are surprisingly well-appointed, with comfortable cabins that rival cruise line standards. Food is plentiful, but heavily Norwegian in style. Ala carte is available at additional cost. The ships have ice-rated hulls, which make them a good choice for Antarctica when not working the Norwegian fjords.

The Nordkap and the Nordnorge are sister ships well designed for Antarctic cruising. The Nordnorge was docked at Puerto Chacabuco, Chile when we were there on the Amsterdam. She looked like an interesting and vey nice ship to sail on.

My b-i-l was scheduled to go on their next cruise. He was supposed to leave Miami tonight for Buenos Aires and then after a nights stay there be flown to Ushaia to board the ship on Friday. Last night he was told there was a problem and the trip was "iffy". This morning he was told it was canceled. Needless to say, he is very disappointed. Had planned this trip for a good year!

Can you imagine the disappointment of the people who flew down to SA a few days earlier? Wow... that has to be a nightmare.

Can you imagine the disappointment of the people who flew down to SA a few days earlier? Wow... that has to be a nightmare.

That truly is a shame ... and yes, I can well imagine how disappointing it would be. However, in this particular case ... it's sort of a case of "ship happens" ... an unavoidable accident.

I'm sure the cruise line will put things right for those passengers who are out plane tickets and what not. The important thing here is that no one was hurt or killed. Vacations can be rescheduled, and for those who already flew down to SA early, maybe plans can be shuffled to make for a great land vacation as an alternative to the cruise. Just a thought.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived