Dining Room Attire Thought

Editor

Okay. I may be starting a huge fued, but because so many people stress over the proper attire, maybe people should be allowed to wear what they want (within reason of course). I mean, what's wrong with a very nice pair of jeans or cotton slacks, capris, etc. I don't see why there has to be this uptight formality.

We're all on vacation! We should be able to relax and wear what we want.

I've been to many beautiful resorts and have seen people wear everything from shorts and sandals, to gorgeous dresses and suits. I don't CARE what YOU have on!! Enjoy and have a great time in the style that suits you.

My two cents worth.

I, for one, am not afraid of being judgmental. People who choose Princess are looking for a vacation with a bit of class. The dress code is there for that reason. If you want to wear jeans in the dining room, in clear violation of that code, you're wrong. Just plain wrong. End of discussion.

NCL did change their policy of allowing jeans just recently.

The Princess Patters only say no shorts and no t-shirts even though their year old answer book says no jeans. I'll see next month what folks are wearing to the dining room on the Western side of the states as opposed to the Eastern side. What people wear does not offend me nor is any of my business. It does not affect me at all. What affects me is snotty, rude people that I run into on the ship.

if you read NCL's dress code, you will see an exception to the jeans rule for sailings out of Houston/Galveston, NCL refers to this sailing as the "Texaribbean."

I agree with CrusinAgain, that is mighty nice of you to "let it go". GordonChick, who are you to do anything about it anyway? Do you have a "Dining Room Attire Enforcement" badge you flash when someone is in the dining room not dressed to your standards? I just think it is absurd for people on vacation, or anywhere else for that matter, to care one iota what someone else is wearing. Seems like wasted energy to me.

I, for one, am not afraid of being judgmental. People who choose Princess are looking for a vacation with a bit of class. The dress code is there for that reason. If you want to wear jeans in the dining room, in clear violation of that code, you're wrong. Just plain wrong. End of discussion.

Wow.....how RUDE!!!! Not ALL people that take a Princess cruise are "looking for a vacation with a bit of class" as you say. My husband and I have wanted to take a cruise forever and happened to get our cruise for a Christmas gift from his father. We did not choose a cruise because it's "classier" or "just for the wealthy and beautiful people"..we chose a cruise because we love boating, water and wanted to have a wonderful experience on our vacation.

If ALL people on the boat are like YOU, then maybe we just booked the wrong ship!

In my opinion, RUDE and OBNOXIOUS people who look down on others for any reason are in more violation of class than those who wear the wrong thing to dinner.

Wow....

Thanks for the laughs folks. I can not believe the length of this thread on dress codes.......We have sailed on Carnival, Princess and NCL..for the most part I have found everyone on these cruise's to follow the "dress code"...and I have never seem anyone been turned away from the dinningroom because of "jeans".

There that is my "two bits" worth.

Bloody oath!

After reading a few pages of this thread, all I can say is thank christ I'm from Australia.

We are *so* much more laid back than the rest of the world. If our cruise ships here disallowed jeans to the dining room, NO ONE would cruise.

I read in one of the earlier posts that someone considers jeans to be 'work clothes'. I was completely shocked that there are people out there who still think that! Down here, we wear jeans when we go out. We pay a lot of money for jeans. We have so many different types, styles, colours of jeans that on any given slightly cool day out and about 90% of people are wearing jeans! Even women wear jeans when they go out to dinner, to a bar, pub, club, you name it! I mean fair enough they also wear the nice dresses etc, but noone here would look twice if there was a bunch of chicks out on the town, some wearing pretty dinner dresses and others wearing jeans! It's the same thing!

Fair enough, I'm only 20 so my point of view is surely "clouded by young age" I'm sure most of you would think, but my father wears jeans all the time. People older than me wear jeans all the time, so it's not a youth thing! I'm going on a cruise with my folks in a few weeks and we will surely be wearing jeans most nights to dinner. Of course, on formal nights we'll be wearin' the tux/suit but still.. you guys are so up tight!

Relax! :) I'm starting to think maybe I shouldn't ever go on a Princess cruise because I would have nothing to wear to dinner. I'll be set for formal nights - but what the hell would I wear on 'normal' nights?

It would seem to me that there would be an easy solution to this problem. I don't know about all the ships Princess has, but I know the Grand has I believe 3 Dining rooms. Maybe they should seperate them into traditional, anytime smart casual, and anytime "free wear". To keep one side from getting too top heavy, make it a choice pre cruise with limited slots in each venue like they do with traditional and anytime now. If your choice isn't available and you can't handle another, then pick another cruise date. I know the argument that there are alternative dining options, but some pax might want to enjoy regular dining in the comfort of their favorite clothes. As I've stated before, I have no problem with what others around me are wearing. My wife and I will follow the dress code as I was fully aware of it when I booked my cruise. I will also have my 14 year old son follow the code as it is a matter of my personal values. I'm not stating the values of my own personal opinion of what should be worn, but that we agreed to a dress code when we booked the cruise and we will honor it.

Hi Folks,

Looks like this topic has been discussed upside down, backwards, side to side, and lots of spots in betweent.

Time to say good bye!

This thread should now be considered closed!

Ann (aka Host Mama)

... do these always get so rude and ugly... it's the "same old same old" on all of these threads about dining room attire.:rolleyes: :(

so I'm closing this one! Instead of cleaning it up...

::wondering if we can go a week or so without another one showing up???:confused: :confused: ::

Archived