Dining Room Attire Thought

Editor

My 2 boys will be wearing hawaiian short sets to the dining room a few nights- please look the other way if you are offended by their attire :)

What's cute and what is appropriate for the dining room are two very different things. What message is being instilled - that in life, you can disregard the rules when you don't like them?

Amen, brother. We see constant complaints on this board about how the quality standards at Princess have dropped, but not many people seem to recognize the relationship between the standard of quality the cruise line presents and the standard of quality the passenger presents. Why should the cruise line ensure their quality is top of the line if the passengers are only interested in a fast food meal in shorts and t-shirts?

I for the life of me can not understand why people who do not want to follow the dining room dress "rule/guidelines" bother to book a Princess cruise at all. Their policy is not a secret they keep until they have one's money in hand. Anyone who would book a cruise without reading the cruise line's "on board" section should never admit it. With so many options of cruise lines and land vacations out there why would anyone book a cruise where they decide in advance they will just do what they want, rules/guidelines be damned.

The issue here isn't about "should" nice jeans be allowed in the dining room. The rules/guidelines flatly say no. If someone has a valid argument as to if Princess should allow them they ought to bring in up with Princess instead of trying to convince those of us who follow the rules/guidelines that we are wrong. Arguing here on this board serves no purpose and will certainly not change the rules/guidelines. It only personifies the "it's all about me" attitude too many have.

I think that its wonderful if you want to dress for dinner. But you shouldn't feel out of place if you don't. And why should I eat at the buffet because of how I'm dressed? I should be able to eat in the dining room. And maybe I don't want to cruise NCL.

All I'm saying is to each his own.

To each may be his own, but rules are rules. Princess has rules. What if I really wanted a necklace out of the shop...but didn't think I should have to pay for it. Why should I? I want it and I should be able to take it if I want to....right? I paid my cruise fare just like everyone else. Why can't I? Because there are rules. If you don't like rules, find a place where there are no rules.:)

Wearing my nice, boutique jeans with a beautiful top and sandals to the dining room may go against the letter of the Princess "law" (probably written ages ago) but not against the spirit of looking nice and "dressing up". (Yes, fuddy duddies, the right jeans are now considered dressing up and can get you into almost ANY nice restaurant in Manhattan as well as the theater on Broadway.) Straight-from-the-farm Levi's go against both the letter and the spirit.

Speaking from the fuddy-duddy viewpoint, I heartily disagree. I don’t care if your jeans come from a boutique or from Target, denim is denim. Denim is casual. Casual attire can be worn to the casual alternative dining areas. If one wants a five course meal served in the dining room, then they should dress like it.

Right – you can get into a restaurant in Manhattan in “boutique” jeans and you can also go do a Broadway play in them. But doing so means you are neither acting nor dressing appropriately. Denim goes against the letter and the spirit that you cite.

And as for the "fuddy-duddy" moniker being applied to those of us who prefer to dress appropriately, take a look around on your next Princess cruise. Some of the more hip passengers are the ones who take the time to dress appropriately, enjoy the uniqueness of the cruise experience and have enjoyable times with their fellow passengers.

Pardon me, but rules are vastly different from suggestions and guidelines. I am a rules girls. I follow them. HOWEVER, I also believe in the spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law. Wearing my nice, boutique jeans with a beautiful top and sandals to the dining room may go against the letter of the Princess "law" (probably written ages ago) but not against the spirit of looking nice and "dressing up". (Yes, fuddy duddies, the right jeans are now considered dressing up and can get you into almost ANY nice restaurant in Manhattan as well as the theater on Broadway.) Straight-from-the-farm Levi's go against both the letter and the spirit.

Trust me, my attire will not ever embarrass you or make you look down on me.

...Unlike you post:rolleyes:

Speaking from the fuddy-duddy viewpoint, I heartily disagree. I don’t care if your jeans come from a boutique or from Target, denim is denim. Denim is casual. Casual attire can be worn to the casual alternative dining areas. If one wants a five course meal served in the dining room, then they should dress like it.

Right – you can get into a restaurant in Manhattan in “boutique” jeans and you can also go do a Broadway play in them. But doing so means you are neither acting nor dressing appropriately. Denim goes against the letter and the spirit that you cite.

And as for the "fuddy-duddy" moniker being applied to those of us who prefer to dress appropriately, take a look around on your next Princess cruise. Some of the more hip passengers are the ones who take the time to dress appropriately, enjoy the uniqueness of the cruise experience and have enjoyable times with their fellow passengers.

icon_yeahthat.gif

To each may be his own, but rules are rules. Princess has rules. What if I really wanted a necklace out of the shop...but didn't think I should have to pay for it. Why should I? I want it and I should be able to take it if I want to....right? I paid my cruise fare just like everyone else. Why can't I? Because there are rules. If you don't like rules, find a place where there are no rules.:)

Easy now! Why get so upset?

hi , we were just on the Caribbean Princess eastern caribbean cruise, jan 14to21, and i have to tell you all that they do not enforce any dress code other then on the true formal night. when it was a smart casual night we saw jeans and shorts being worn. when we spoke to the Maitre D he told us that they really can't do anything to stop someone from wearing what ever they choose to wear, so all of you are wrong. jeans are permitted and so is anything else. if you want to dress up you can and if you dont' that is ok too. we had traditional dining late seating, and i was mad that i lisented to everyone on this board about dress codes. jeans are worn eveywhere and there is nothing wrong with them. sg

At some point, I should just create my own canned reply for this as a macro. :)

In the world, there are ideals and realities.

In an ideal situation, rules and guidelines are followed to the letter and meet with everyone's satisfaction.

The reality, however.... ;)

People often choose to disregard rules or use the existing rule as a guideline. Take speed limits for example. The sign says 60. A percentage follow that as a rule, others use it as a guideline and allow themselves to creep up an extra 10-15%, and others ignore it completely. The consequences of violating the law can range from nothing, to a mild annoyance of a ticket, to an outright disaster if it causes an accident.

In the grand scheme of things, sniping about a dress code is petty compared to the life and death rules that even well-meaning people choose to ignore in their daily life.

If you've never jay-walked, sped, driven after a drink, run a red light, or violated any other rule or law because you chose to, well, then, I guess you can cast the first stone, can't you?

As for the dress code, the reality is that you will find perhaps 60 to 70% of the cruisers following the dress code at best, and the rest in various states of dress. You likely will not be turned away for wearing neat jeans or casual wear, though be prepared for some unkind looks from petty people who feel the dress code rules are sacrosant. You will find that few, if any, have the guts to say anything to your face, but will prefer to evicerate you behind you back and online instead. ;)

By the way, for the most part I do dress up, though about half the time I do resort to wearing my midnight black jeans with a nice shirt when I'm too tired to dress up for dinner. On formal night, I no longer wear a dinner jacket or tux and make do with a suit or sportcoat and slacks.

In an ideal situation, rules and guidelines are followed to the letter and meet with everyone's satisfaction.

People often choose to disregard rules or use the existing rule as a guideline. Take speed limits for example. The sign says 60. A percentage follow that as a rule, others use it as a guideline and allow themselves to creep up an extra 10-15%, and others ignore it completely. The consequences of violating the law can range from nothing, to a mild annoyance of a ticket, to an outright disaster if it causes an accident.

In the grand scheme of things, sniping about a dress code is petty compared to the life and death rules that even well-meaning people choose to ignore in their daily life.

If you've never jay-walked, sped, driven after a drink, run a red light, or violated any other rule or law because you chose to, well, then, I guess you can cast the first stone, can't you?

As for the dress code, the reality is that you will find perhaps 60 to 70% of the cruisers following the dress code at best, and the rest in various states of dress. You likely will not be turned away for wearing neat jeans or casual wear, though be prepared for some unkind looks from petty people who feel the dress code rules are sacrosant. You will find that few, if any, have the guts to say anything to your face, but will prefer to evicerate you behind you back and online instead. ;)

By the way, for the most part I do dress up, though about half the time I do resort to wearing my midnight black jeans with a nice shirt when I'm too tired to dress up for dinner. On formal night, I no longer wear a dinner jacket or tux and make do with a suit or sportcoat and slacks.

Where you been Buddy? I have been waiting patiently since this thread started for the speeding anology.:D

I just watched the movie Groundhog Day the other night. Every time the dress code thread shows it's ugly head I feel like I'm reliving Groundhog day like Bill Murray.:p

Bill

Where you been Buddy? I have been waiting patiently since this thread started for the speeding anology.:D

I just watched the movie Groundhog Day the other night. Every time the dress code thread shows it's ugly head I feel like I'm reliving Groundhog day like Bill Murray.:p

Bill

Ditto. :D

It's become debate as entertainment, I think.

Yep, this will likely start a huge feud and get poofed so I'm not going to waste a lot of posts on this. You have many options for places to eat other than the dining rooms if dressing up even a little just isn't your thing. Dress codes according to the Patters on our most recent cruise apply to the dining rooms only. As others have mentioned, there is a choice of cruise line for those who find even those minimal restrictions too much.

I understand the point you are making, about having respect for others. Respect is a two-way street. Understand that many do not share the same opinion. Disagreeing with your idea is just that - disagreement, not a condemnation of your character. Personally, I believe that relaxing social standards in any arena encourages more of the behaviors we dislike, whether it be chair hogs, line-butting, or whatever. Honestly, the standards Princess sets aren't very restrictive nor are they difficult to follow. Most nights, it's dress up just a little, and some nights, it's dress up a little more. That should give most people plenty of room to be comfortable and display a little respect for those whose opinion is different.

Well said Spongerob:)

Living in the desert Southwest my idea of appropriate clothing is probably considerably different than individuals who come from more conservative parts of the United States...(I can't speak to Europe, Austrailia, etc.)

Most of my friends haven't worn a tie in years, sport coats are out of the question, sandals are worn by most everyone (especially the $100 fancy "flip flop" kind). Knee length shorts are permitted on very expensive, ultra golf courses. And, shudder, I don't think I have seen a woman where nylons even with the most glamorous outfit.

What we consider appropriate clothing will obviously differ from what others perceive. Please don't expect everyone to have the same perceptions you do and just go with the flow. Most of us don't want to feel uncomfortable in a social situation so we "Southwest hicks" try our darndest but we will never measure up to the high standards some of you have set.

When I meet you on a cruise, please don't hate me for being a bit different and I won't hate you for being a pompous a........

Although I may agree with you to a point, please stop using the word "rules"!!!

They are not "rules" they are suggestions, guidlines only!

Hey everyone. Read this carefully.

Firstly, I was not trying to "stir the pot." I just feel sorry for people who are consumed with the proper dining attire on cruises. AND I was just stating my opinion. Where did I ever say that I was going to wear jeans in the dining room, and to heck with the rest of you. I NEVER said that. All I said was that people should be able to wear what they want (WITHIN REASON). I'm a professional woman. I've been working in a professional occupation for more than twenty years. I "dress" for work every day. Acutally, I one of the more well-dressed women in the office. Many men and women come to work looking like they just rolled out of bed. I DON'T CARE! What I do care about is that you come to work every day and do a good job!! If you're most comfortable in jeans, then wear jeans to the office.

Also, in general, I truly hope that the some of people who have been involved in this thread are not indicators of the type of people who will be on my cruise (and you know who you are).

well put BUDDY! it's nice to see some rational thinking on this board.

Hey everyone. Read this carefully.

Firstly, I was not trying to "stir the pot." I just feel sorry for people who are consumed with the proper dining attire on cruises. AND I was just stating my opinion. Where did I ever say that I was going to wear jeans in the dining room, and to heck with the rest of you. I NEVER said that. All I said was that people should be able to wear what they want (WITHIN REASON). I'm a professional woman. I've been working in a professional occupation for more than twenty years. I "dress" for work every day. Acutally, I one of the more well-dressed women in the office. Many men and women come to work looking like they just rolled out of bed. I DON'T CARE! What I do care about is that you come to work every day and do a good job!! If you're most comfortable in jeans, then wear jeans to the office.

Also, in general, I truly hope that the some of people who have been involved in this thread are not indicators of the type of people who will be on my cruise (and you know who you are).

i too, hope these people you speak of are not on my cruise. i leave in just over a week, and the thing that i have stressed over more than anything for this cruise is the stupid dress code "rules". :rolleyes:

:D This whole thread is a hoot and a lot more fun than writing the report I'm supposed to be working on!

At first, I was very reluctant to even consider a Cruise because my husband and I are very casual people who generally graviate towards eco trips. Our idea of a great vacation is tromping around the Everglades and looking for Snakes and Gators. So why are we cruising on AOS 3/25/07 and and facing the dreaded dress code? Well, because it will be a new experience for us and a bit outside our comfort zone, which I think, is always a good thing. At first, I had tons of anxiety over clothes, as my job as an environmental scientist is not a dress up one but now I'm kind of excited about having the chance to go a little 'girly' for a time. I'm having lots of fun looking for some formal night wear that is not overly glittery but still nice and for casual stuff that is dressier for regular nights. I may even surrender to the 'Dark Side':eek: and get my hair and make-up done on-board before formal night! I don't care what others wear at all but I figure if we are going to get the most out of our very first Cruise we should try to experience as much of it as possible. Peace :)

My OP said on formal nights the kids have appropriate attire (sports jackets, pants, shoes, etc) I did not plan on overstuffing my suitcase with more pants if not necessary. This is their fourth cruise and always look quite handsome regardless of their attire :)

The joy of sailing Princess is that there are washers and dryers so you don't have to overpack pants, shirts or anything else.

Archived