Dining Room Attire Thought

Editor

Give me a break!!!

This is exactly why this thread is so popular and raises so many concerns. I refuse to let myself be brought down to the lowest common denominator and will continue to dress appropriately for the occasion at hand regardless of how other people dress.

At the risk of adding fuel to this fire, based on my recent B2B Sun Princesses cruise, I have to conclude that people generally stuck to the intent of the formal night dress code, if not the letter, in the dining room and Captain's parties venues. In the shows, anything went, even shorts and flip flops.

It is the dress the rest of the time (daytime and nonformal evenings) that stood out for its general Bargain Barn look. I include myself in this generalization, but, really, dress on cruise ships has become much more, not casual, so much, but cheap looking since we started cruising 10 years ago. I mean, t shirts with slogans I wouldn't let my husband buy, let alone wear, some guys were wearing proudly, with their wives at their sides. Hmmmm....I don't care how you dress people on formal nights, we are who we are, and the cruising population is definitely changing (although, to quote my all-time favorite show, "not that there's anything wrong with that").

I have not been on these boards for about 5 years, and I find it hilarious that these same subjects get debated ad nauseum.

I recall adding my 2 cents 5 years ago while preparing for a cruise, and some things never change.

This debate is almost taking on biblical proportions with the quotations regarding "spirit and letter of the Law."

My wife and I choose to dress on formal nights. It is an opportunity to do something that we believe is romantic, and fun. I do not look down on others who choose to ignore the "spirit or letter of the suggestions", however, I do think it makes for good people watching, as has already been stated by an earlier poster.

We just need to admit folks that we live in the "its all about me" generation, and move on.

Maybe we could start a thread about smuggling booze aboard? What do you think?

I have been following this thread for a bit....... and as a fuddy-duddy.......let me say.......there wouldn't be a "jeans in the dining room" issue if the dress code rules/guidelines for the dining room was enforced by Princess Cruises for everyone who walks into the room:rolleyes: Now if folks want to dress like they just got off a horse in designer jeans and a "cute" top....what are you gonna do??? :eek:

Let me just point out.....I happen to be a girly-girl fuddy-duddy who loves to get dressed up when cruising. It happens to be a part of the total cruise experience in my opinion.....

And yes....I'm rarely incorrect:D :D

Even though Princess is our cruise line of choice, last year my DH and myself took an NCL cruise. Enjoyed "Freestyle" as we didn't have to bother hauling formal clothes with us. Let me just state that we did dress in casual clothes for dinner. DH wore a nice shirt and dockers, I either wore nice slacks and top or skirt and top. They did have a "formal" night, where I would say maybe 25% of the passengers wore formal. As we walked through the atrium to dinner I stopped and smiled as they all looked so nice posing for pictures and they felt special dressed to the nines. I said to my DH that I sort of missed doing that because we rarely have a chance to dress like that at home. I honestly never saw shorts or t-shirts in the dining room, but saw a lot of jogging/track type clothes. Didn't really bother me, as I was eating with my "honey":)

I really think this will be the trend in crusing for the near future. Like it or not, crusing is becoming more affordable for families and the average guy in general and they are not going to put out extra $$ for the formal wear. I agree with the no shorts or t-shirts rule, as it seems pretty funny to sit there looking like your going to the beach and being waited on by servers in black tie.

Hey everyone. Read this carefully.

Firstly, I was not trying to "stir the pot." I just feel sorry for people who are consumed with the proper dining attire on cruises. AND I was just stating my opinion. Where did I ever say that I was going to wear jeans in the dining room, and to heck with the rest of you. I NEVER said that. All I said was that people should be able to wear what they want (WITHIN REASON). I'm a professional woman. I've been working in a professional occupation for more than twenty years. I "dress" for work every day. Acutally, I one of the more well-dressed women in the office. Many men and women come to work looking like they just rolled out of bed. I DON'T CARE! What I do care about is that you come to work every day and do a good job!! If you're most comfortable in jeans, then wear jeans to the office.

Also, in general, I truly hope that the some of people who have been involved in this thread are not indicators of the type of people who will be on my cruise (and you know who you are).

Okay, a couple of things. I'll start with the closing comment. Why, when there is a disagreement, do people automatically categorize those with whom they disagree as someone you don't want to meet? You stated your case and your reasoning. Others have stated their case and reasoning. I don't recall seeing any personal attacks against you, but some of the comments made towards those in favor of dress codes have been borderline rude. IMO, of course.

Second, please don't put words into anyone's mouth or assume more than has been stated. Dress doesn't "consume" me. Higher standards of dress than what we normally experience in other venues is an element that elevates cruising versus other vacations to us. I have never, ever, in all the threads over the years on this subject, seen anyone who disagrees with my point of view ever state that they understand my reasoning and respect my statement of that point of view. You don't have to agree with someone to respect what they are saying. Even if you disagree, there's no need to belittle the opposite view by, "Feeling sorry."

We're all pretty good at defining extremes, the problem is deciding where the line should be drawn. My personal belief is that Princess sets a clear and easily achievable recommendation for dress and provides for some wiggle-room. The standard creates an atmosphere that is unique and encourages social interaction. There's little enough of that in the world today.

A lot of people book cruises to celebrate their birthdays and anniversaries. It's nice to have the family dress up together and have photos taken. I take enough photos of my family in jeans and shorts on the excursions. It's nice to have a few with them dressed up. It's also fun to see all of the other passengers dressed up. It dosen't take that much effort.

As a Brit, I suppose I'll get flamed here, I am really amused about all these posts regarding jeans. It strikes me that people who keep on about jeans in the dining room have, in their own estimation, a statement to make.

Could you tell us folks across the pond " Whats the statement"

To us, jeans are work clothes that are worn at work simply for the reason they are hard wearimg. Sure, some kids and people who should know better, spend lots of money for the leather tag on the back but, in the long run, they are still work clothes. In fact, come to think of it, the next post on what to wear might be " Can I wear my bib and brace dungarees in the dining room." Maybe James Dean has affected some of your thinking in this matter but to my mind its seems its more like Gabby Hayes.

Jimmy

I don't have the foggiest idea what "bib and brace dungarees" might be, but your view of jeans is completely out of touch. Men and women both wear jeans to some of the most upscale spots in New York, LA and London for that matter. It's about style that matters. I'll take a sharp, stylish blue blazer with jeans over an oudated ill-fitting Ralph Cramden suit any day.

Excellant point Rodney!

As long as people chew with their mouths shut I''ll be happy.

PS I really find it odd when people hold their knives in their fists, cut their food and pass the fork and knive from hand to hand. I was taught that was the incorrect(rude) way to eat. We sat with two other couples on our first cruise, and this is how one of the couples ate, it really shocked be as I had never seen anyone but small children eat that way, and I couldn't get over the fact that the pleasant well dressed lady in front of me held her fork in her right hand and passed it back and forth back and forth and "sawed "her meat. I of course said nothing, and continued to enjoy the rest of of meals with this couple regardless of their ( to me) barbaric eating styles. I am glad I had enough sense to look beyond the visually jarring and enjoy their COMPANY for the people they were, not how things LOOKED.

I think that those of us who don't care what others are wearing are reacting to a sense that some posters put out, that those who would wear jeans for dinner are somehow morally inferior and possibly responsible for the decline of human decency! :)

PS I'd rather has a cute 6 yr old at my table in a Hawaiin short set then a brat in a suit.

I think that its wonderful if you want to dress for dinner. But you shouldn't feel out of place if you don't. And why should I eat at the buffet because of how I'm dressed? I should be able to eat in the dining room. And maybe I don't want to cruise NCL.

All I'm saying is to each his own.

I'm behind you 100%.

I do not care what anyone else wears, and I certainly do not care what anyone thinks of what I wear, I am not on the ship to please anyone other than myself and my partner. If your evening is ruined by what others wear, then the problem is yours.

Also, the suggestion to cruise NCL, because of a dress code, give me a break. If I liked cruising with NCL I would, but I do not, so therefore I cruise on the lines I enjoy.

Cheers,

Peter

This always ends up being a discussion of being judgmental, insensitive, etc.

To me it seems pretty simple. Princess posts the rules about what to wear in the dining room and provides alternative dining areas (e.g. buffet) for those that choose not to follow them. These rules are not a mystery - they are available ahead of time to anyone.

Norwegian has a different policy - if not dressing up is a priority, sounds like they are a better fit.

Why not simply comply with the clearly stated policies, or choose another vacation option if they are too onerous?

Just my $.02.

It would only sound like a better fit, if you enjoyed cruising with them or thought that the clothes you wear for a couple of hours while you eat dinner is important. Which, I would imagine, most people do not.

Cheers,

Peter

For those with the "it's my vacation, I paid for it with my hard earned money, and I'll dress as I please" mentality, it boils down to which "rules" they wish to live by and which they choose to ignore. Isn't it curious that so many of the folks who choose to ignore the dress code (and can't understand why others fault them for that) are the ones who moan and groan the loudest when their fellow passengers choose to ignore other shipboard no-no's like hogging chairs at the pool, smoking in non-smoking places, saving seats in the theater, cutting in line at the buffet, diapers in the pool...?

For those with the "it's my vacation, I paid for it with my hard earned money, and I'll dress as I please" mentality, it boils down to which "rules" they wish to live by and which they choose to ignore. Isn't it curious that so many of the folks who choose to ignore the dress code (and can't understand why others fault them for that) are the ones who moan and groan the loudest when their fellow passengers choose to ignore other shipboard no-no's like hogging chairs at the pool, smoking in non-smoking places, saving seats in the theater, cutting in line at the buffet, diapers in the pool...?

Right, everyone follows every rule and suggestion. That's why there is hardly a need for police or security any longer.

Come on back to reality now.

I don't think there is anyone out there who doesn't fudge about with laws, rules and suggestions to suit their own purposes, and if you happen to be one that never does it, then here's your stone and you can toss it first.

As to your second point, there is quite a big difference about moaning about items that actually affect others, chairs, queues, nappies, etc., then the non-issue of what someone else wears to dinner. So unless what they wear has some sort of stench, it doesn't have any other affect on others. Unless of course it ruins their Ahm Bee Ance. :D

Cheers,

Peter

ONBOARD ATTIRE

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

• Pants and open-neck shirts for men

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times.

Formal Evenings:

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies

• Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men

That is directly from the Princess site. I don't see suggestion anywhere, and "not permitted" sounds like more than just a suggestion.

Chef

Right, everyone follows every rule and suggestion. That's why there is hardly a need for police or security any longer.

Come on back to reality now.

I don't think there is anyone out there who doesn't fudge about with laws, rules and suggestions to suit their own purposes, and if you happen to be one that never does it, then here's your stone and you can toss it first.

As to your second point, there is quite a big difference about moaning about items that actually affect others, chairs, queues, nappies, etc., then the non-issue of what someone else wears to dinner. So unless what they wear has some sort of stench, it doesn't have any other affect on others. Unless of course it ruins their Ahm Bee Ance. :D

Cheers,

Peter

Diapers in the pool are a health hazzard to all concerned, the pool gets closed and everyone inconvenienced as well as the risk of being sick:eek: :eek:

Someone not dressing according to the rules will not be a health risk to anyone and I don't see why some let this ruin there vacation - JMHO:D

ONBOARD ATTIRE

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

• Pants and open-neck shirts for men

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times.

Formal Evenings:

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies

• Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men

That is directly from the Princess site. I don't see suggestion anywhere, and "not permitted" sounds like more than just a suggestion.

Chef

Don't see where is says "policy" or "rules":confused:

Archived