Anyone else get totally stressed out...

star10

about packing? This is my 7th cruise... You'd think I had it down to a science... but I don't. I have 5 people to pack for and I dread it! We live 2 weeks from this Saturday, so I'm going to attempt to start this weekend. Maybe that will help?

I just think of all the ironing, and decisions I have to make and it makes me crazy!!:eek:

mrdood you sound like my father in law--he always says, if we forget anything, we'll buy it!!

I stress too--not too bad anymore, but it's like, well what if I need that, or maybe 2 or 3 won't be enough???? My biggest problem is shoes!! I try to take all dress outfits for one pair of heels, but somehow it can't be donw. I think my dh would object if I packed just a small bag of shoes!! Maybe I'll try it in a couple of weeks when we go!!!

about packing? This is my 7th cruise... You'd think I had it down to a science... but I don't. I have 5 people to pack for and I dread it! We live 2 weeks from this Saturday, so I'm going to attempt to start this weekend. Maybe that will help?

I just think of all the ironing, and decisions I have to make and it makes me crazy!!:eek:

i hear ya. i pack for 5 too, and sometimes it drives me crazy. i'm the last on my list b/c that's the way it always is, and i worry about stuff for me b/c i'm really tall and if i forget something, it's not easy to just go "pick it up" in port!

about packing? This is my 7th cruise... You'd think I had it down to a science

I make a list of what I'm going to wear daily. Tape it to the inside of my closet. Just like Mom did when you went to camp. My list makes sense for me....maybe my specific list doesn't work for you. Rather than pack all at once, I pack things as needed. For two or three days, I'll concentrate on the things that don't need ironing [socks/underwear/the like]. And I don't do it in "one fell swoop." Tuesday...nothing but socks. Wednesday...nothing but underwear. Et cetera. .

When I have chance during the week prior to my cruise, I iron the things I need to iron. Leave them in my closet. Put them in my suitcase the night before [or even the same day as] I leave. Takes maybe 10-30 minutes.

In addition, most of my clothes are in gallon Ziplocs. So I don't end up pawing through my suitcase wondering "did I forget to pack this". Instend, I paw through a dozen Ziplocs. Much easier for me

You IRON before you leave? Don't you just have to do it all over again? Guess I'm lazy, I try to pack non-wrinkle items and if they are a little wrinkled I spritz w/ water and/or hang in the bathroom while I shower.

There is one advantage to all this subzero weather, all of my warm weather clothes are clean and all in one place,

I just finished getting my clothes out and have a couple boxes in the bedroom that I've been putting stuff in for the last couple weeks as I thought of it.

Just sent a "nagging" email to my DH to remind him that he has to get w/ the program tonight and get his clothes out.

You can go online and do a mail and newspaper hold, that always saves a little time. DH has to call the credit card people, they don't want to talk to little ol me, even tho I'm the one who pays the bills ;} It's still a mans world I guess.

Hope you have fun! Take some deep breaths! That really helps!

Used to get stressed about packing.

Having all my luggage lost on a cruise cured me. I survived with basically what I had on my back and a shorts outfit for a week. (free laundry from the ship and borrowed a dress)

I don't start packing until the night before I go. I only put together a list of odd ball things (highlighter, clock, post its etc) and chuck those towards my suitcase during the week.

We have 6 in the family. I do not iron or pack for ANY of them. If they are too stupid/lazy to pack appropriately they will have to face the consequences on their own. (my youngest is 13 now) (one day their spouses will thank me, especially the wives!)

I no longer "cruise shop" anymore either. We now cruise twice a year and I realize there's no reason for a "special" wardrobe. Of course we do several black tie things here at home so formal wardrobe is kept up to date. The rest is casual stuff and good shoes I already have.

I am and will always be a reformed Shopaholic. However, it just takes one cute top/shoes (on sale!) and I fall off the band wagon. ;) I try to stay out of the shops in port too!

I cruise every other year, so when I catch the late summer sales a year before my cruise, I go shopping and pack it as soon as I get it home. Of course, two weeks before the cruise, I have to repack, because I've forgotten what I've bought! :D

I understand your stress,

I also stress, I'm stressing now, we leave the 11th:eek:

Now I've figured I need a new swim suite...

so I have a week... more stress....

good luck, I have started getting things out.... i have them on a portable clothes hanger in my room,... too cold to get summer clothes together.....

good luck to you....it will be ok.... my DH packs way too much stuff... go figure??

my OCD has that covered. :D

I have a table on a word document, broken down into my clothes (day and evening, plus accessories) and DH's clothes (day and evening). Works great for "visualizing" what I have planned to wear, what I need to find/dig out and what I need to purchase. Only the two of us cruise, but I just do a bigger table for packing for the family on family vacations.

Would you believe that 90% of my stuff is folded and laid out in the bottom of a guest closet, and we don't cruise til the end of April? :D

I make a chart of each day and what clothes we will need for each day, then make a master packing list from that.

I am not really that anal but It keeps me from over packing.

I also pack everything in plastic bags so I can easily check to see if I have packed something.

The suitcases are usually open in the spare bedroom 2 to 3 weeks out. As things are bought, ironed or just thought of they are packed and checked off the list.

I used to drive myself crazy but since we travel somewhere at least once a month and I now realize that the entire world is not waiting with baited breath to see what I am wearing, I don't stress as much.;)

I write down everything ahead for day and evening wear, put 4 or 5 hanging items in a dry cleaning bag (then no need to iron aboard ship, just shake things out.) I line the luggage with trash bags on top and bottom for any inclement weather. I had a bag soaked once and red shorts made a disaster of all the clothes. Evidently the airline left it too long outside before loading it on the plane.Remember to put liquids in checked luggage and use quart ziplock bags for small items in carryons and purses. This includes hand cream, lipstick, lipgloss, chapstick and forgot my jar of cold cream....they took that. Liquid? Yeah, right! But you can bring book matches, but not lighters. What a world.

I pack the day or evening before, but keep a master list for cruises. I also keep the prior packing lists to help jog my memory. I list the days, activities and outfits, and pack from that as well as the master list, which reminds me to take all the needed meds, the short extension cord, garment steamer, I also find that keeping some items in dry cleaning bags helps tremendously, and iron before I pack. I start the ironing several weeks ahead and hang back in the closet. A good master list, lots of ziplock bags, and a few large trash bags that serve as hampers on board really keep the stress level down. My DH mostly packs himself but we collaborate on the master list, and both help the 18 year make sure he has weather-appropriate clothing for the destinations.

Don't stress anymore. All that planning dont mean didly when the airline looses your luggage. Then you scramble to borrow this and that and if you didnt tell anyone on the cruise that you had no luggage no one would be the wiser. Motto is ,,,,,all that matching and packing and nobody even notices. Just go and have fun.

You IRON before you leave? Don't you just have to do it all over again? Guess I'm lazy, I try to pack non-wrinkle items and if they are a little wrinkled I spritz w/ water and/or hang in the bathroom while I shower.

I always iron all my clothes. That way they are pressed, and might have a few wrinkles, then hang them for the wrinkles to go out and they are fine.

I have a table on a word document, broken down into my clothes (day and evening, plus accessories) and DH's clothes (day and evening). Works great for "visualizing" what I have planned to wear, what I need to find/dig out and what I need to purchase. Only the two of us cruise, but I just do a bigger table for packing for the family on family vacations.

Would you believe that 90% of my stuff is folded and laid out in the bottom of a guest closet, and we don't cruise til the end of April? :D

Scary...I do the same thing! I check my stuff off as I gather it together...do you do the same?

My Gosh! I thought that I was organized!!!:D

Wow - at least I know I am among 'friends' and not the only obsessive-compulsive anal packer! :D:D

Yes I have the 'spreadsheet' - as others have mentioned - with days of the week, ports, formal nights listed - and I fill in with the outfits - including shoes/purse/accessories - it does help me plan and make sure I don't bring too much - I have been know to throw in an extra this and that and the other....

My real stress point is the luggage weight! I am travelling solo this time and want to try to keep it to 1 piece (good luck!) - but am only allowed 50 lbs - so this might be a problem! I have cut it down to 4 pairs of shoes, but I guess I must have a super heavy snorkel and mask? :D:D

Wish me luck!

Froufie

Wow - at least I know I am among 'friends' and not the only obsessive-compulsive anal packer! :D:D

Yes I have the 'spreadsheet' - as others have mentioned - with days of the week, ports, formal nights listed - and I fill in with the outfits - including shoes/purse/accessories - it does help me plan and make sure I don't bring too much - I have been know to throw in an extra this and that and the other....

My real stress point is the luggage weight! I am travelling solo this time and want to try to keep it to 1 piece (good luck!) - but am only allowed 50 lbs - so this might be a problem! I have cut it down to 4 pairs of shoes, but I guess I must have a super heavy snorkel and mask? :D:D

Wish me luck!

Froufie

You leave from Ottawa 2 pieces at 50lbs a piece;)

You leave from Ottawa 2 pieces at 50lbs a piece
Been there, done that - me and my 'luggage train' - not a pretty site! I am bound and determined to try and get it all into my biggest suitcase (then I will have the usual luggage meltdown - lie on my bed and calm down and repack into 2 suitcases....sigh....)

Froufie:D

Archived