Paul Gauguin Lautoka to Papeete June 3, 2007

Texed

Was wondering about the shore excursions and/or if it would be just as easy to get a group together and do it on our own.?? This message board is also a new experience for me and hope to share some good info.

Girl California

Some of the excursions/activities we are considering:

Lautoka: Viti Eco Tour or the Beachcomber Island Get Away

Yasawa:Yasawa Beach (on our own).

Savusavu: Pearl shopping on Main Street,The Vegetable Market, The Hot Springs Hotel

Nakalofa: The Flying Fox Colony, the blowholes, supposedly the best shopping in South Pacific. Also, the Cultural Center is suppose to be very nice.

Raratonga: Titik Aleka Beach and/or Safari Charters fishing.

Aitutaki: One Foot Island Beach.

Bora Bora: The Regent private beach and/or Wave Runner excursion.

Taha'a: The private Beach.

Moorea: Aqua Blue Excursion (helmet dive).

We are still trying to narrow down our choices. :) And nothing is for certain yet.

Texed, what kind of shopping in Nuku'alofa? I was surprised to hear this is the best shopping in the South Pacific. I'm looking forward to shopping for tahitian pearls in the Cook Islands. I hear they are less expensive than in Tahiti.

We are on the cruise from Papeete to Fiji just before your cruise.

Martha

Texed, what kind of shopping in Nuku'alofa? I was surprised to hear this is the best shopping in the South Pacific. I'm looking forward to shopping for tahitian pearls in the Cook Islands. I hear they are less expensive than in Tahiti.

Martha

That surprised me about the shopping in Nuku'alofa also. They are talking about handicrafts, woven baskets, hats, and locally made items. Also, shell jewlery, tapa cloth, hand carvings, etc. You are correct about the Cook Islands having the best prices on Black Pearls, acording to Frommer's. Hopefully, I can keep the wife away from SOME of them. :)

I hope some of y'all on the sailing before us will give us a report as you sail so we know some " secrets ". :D

• 2 weeks later...

We are here.. Have been checking the excursion calendar on our cruise and it only only goes up to June 8th as of yesterday. Wonder where the excurision have gone for the rest of the cruise. Any ideas? Maybe they are adding some. :o

Yasawa is one of the islands we are having trouble picking an excursion:rolleyes:

Patricia and Chris

We are here.. Have been checking the excursion calendar on our cruise and it only only goes up to June 8th as of yesterday. Wonder where the excurision have gone for the rest of the cruise. Any ideas? Maybe they are adding some. :o

Yasawa is one of the islands we are having trouble picking an excursion:rolleyes:

Patricia and Chris

That is weird! :confused: They may be changing the itinerary some. I went to the May 19th cruise, and everything is still the same for them ( the reverse order we are doing). You can go on there and check the excursions on the islands that are missing on ours.

Frommers suggests Yasawa Beach, Yasawa Island Resort, or Darsman Bay Lodge as nice places to go. :)

Welcome to our roll call. It is so nice to have picked up some folks for our cruise. The snorkeling should be wonderful. We have been to French Polynesia twice, but this is a first to Fiji.

We booked our flights through Regent, but we deviated the flights. We are not arriving until June 3rd early morning, so it will be June 4th before we can do anything. But, I think Patricia and Chris are into snorkeling also, so we should have a great group. :)

Should we plan to get together on the first day? I have done this on other cruises and it is fun. We met at a bar at a certain time. Like 4 PM June 3ed at pool bar. Any time is fine with me and I have never been on the ship so don't know the bars.

Oregon Skier

Should we plan to get together on the first day? I have done this on other cruises and it is fun. We met at a bar at a certain time. Like 4 PM June 3ed at pool bar. Oregon Skier

Sounds like a wonderful idea. There is ( if I remember correctly) a nice little bar on the opposite side of the pool than Le Grill. But, I would suggest June 4th because some may be arriving late on the 3rd or perhaps on June 4th. That way, it would give everyone a chance to rest up some from the long flights.

If anyone has any suggestions and/or more info or other ideas, please post on. :)

Sounds like a wonderful idea. There is ( if I remember correctly) a nice little bar on the opposite side of the pool than Le Grill. But, I would suggest June 4th because some may be arriving late on the 3rd or perhaps on June 4th. That way, it would give everyone a chance to rest up some from the long flights.

If anyone has any suggestions and/or more info or other ideas, please post on. :)

June 4th will work.

I plan to take the Beachcomber 7 1/2 hour tour that day. Should be back by say 5:30 PM. Can we get a name for the bar?

I am working on my shore excursions. At Regent today they have turned our 13 night cruise into a 7 night. Did you notice that? It was correct earlier in the week. I tried calling but was told because of the holiday weekend there is nothing they can do. Do you know if we will receive something in the mail about the shore excursions?

I am staying 2 nights before and after because I booked with Vantage. Anyone else use them for our cruise?

Looking forward to meeting everyone. Oregon Skier

Wonder where the excurision have gone for the rest of the cruise. Any ideas? Maybe they are adding some. :o

Patricia and Chris

I checked on the excursions on the days they have posted. They have added diving excursions. Maybe that is what they are doing on the deleted ports of call.

I am working on my shore excursions. At Regent today they have turned our 13 night cruise into a 7 night.

Oregon Skier

Our itinerary and excursions are back on the web site now. :)

We hv sailed many times, but this is our 1st time on PG. Aren't the beach excursions somethg we can do on our own? Seems like all we need is transportation ovr & back. When ur off the ship for the day, the other lines, upon rqst, give you a picnic lunch. I'm sure the PG wld do the same so what is the advantage of bookg a beach shore excusion w/PG tour office?

Girl California

Hi T & J,

Re: your offer to switch cabins for location..What is the square ft of ur cabin on Deck 7 & does it hv a tub AND shower?

Our cabin has 202 sq. ft., and it does have a tub and shower. I notice yours has only 188 sq. ft. , and has no tub.

We hv sailed many times, but this is our 1st time on PG. Aren't the beach excursions somethg we can do on our own? Seems like all we need is transportation ovr & back.

Girl California

If you just want to jus go to the beach, then you are correct. We will do that some places. But some places, some "extras" on the Regent excursions are nice. :)

Did everyone go through Regent for the air? Did you deviate it? Do you have a day room? What day does everyone arrive?

I am staying 2 nigths in LA at Bel Air Hotel. Flight arrives in Fiji 5/30 staying at the Sheraton, all booked through Vantage. Any

one else arriving early?

Any others interested in joining us on 6/4 ?

The skiing is great here, but Mt Bachelor closes Memorial Day, so this is so perfect. I can hardly wait!

Oregon Skier

I am staying 2 nigths in LA at Bel Air Hotel. Flight arrives in Fiji 5/30 staying at the Sheraton, all booked through Vantage. Oregon Skier

I wish we could spent some more time before the cruise in Fiji. But, I will be over my vacation days before the end of the year anyhow. :cool:

I wish we could spent some more time before the cruise in Fiji. But, I will be over my vacation days before the end of the year anyhow. :cool:

At least you get the South Pacific. What do you do? I taught school. Now I winter in Florida because my daughter is there with a 2 and 4 year old. I then come home to Oregon for spring skiing in March. After this delightful crusie I then spend most of my summer at a family cabin at Mt Hood. Life is great!

I hope some others :) will join us. Looking forward to meeting you.

Oregonskier

What do you do? I taught school. Now I winter in Florida because my daughter is there with a 2 and 4 year old. I then come home to Oregon for spring skiing in March. Life is great!

I hope some others :) will join us. Looking forward to meeting you.

Oregonskier

I am an outside sales rep for construction equipment. We specialize in traffic control and safety equipment for the underground utility contractors. DW is the manager over food service for a middle school.

It looks like we will have a small group from this board. But, it sounds like a great cruise. :)

Oregonskier - I am impressed that you ski so much - what a great way to enjoy the spring. We saw Mount Hood last year when we visited a nephew in Portland and daughter in Seattle. As my youngest son keeps saying, we saw all the mountains on that trip.

My husband and I our on the Tahiti to Figi trip just before you. So we will be boarding in 3 weeks. What would you like to hear about while we are cruising? I can't wait to see what the at sea days are like. We have only been on the 7 day PG cruise (twice), which have very little sailing during the day. From what I've been able to research, I think Cook Islands will be very interesting. And unfortunately, a very brief visit to Tonga.

Martha

I can hardly wait. When do we get our documents? Oregonskier

I would think in a week to two weeks. They notified us that my sister and BIL had not finished a portion of their on-line documentation. So, I guess they are working on it. :)

My husband and I our on the Tahiti to Figi trip just before you. So we will be boarding in 3 weeks. What would you like to hear about while we are cruising?

Martha

I can't speak for OregonSkier, but what we would like to hear from you is your impressions and/or activities at the "new" places we will be visiting. I am talking about Lautoka, Yasawa, Savusavu, and Nukualofa. We have never been to these ports, and are anxious to hear about the " don't miss" things there. :)

Archived