Silver Moon or Silver Moon II?

SleepingUgly

We are going to be in Barbados in early April, and have read excellent reviews on the Silver Moon and the Silver Moon II on these boards. I sent management an email yesterday, and they responded promptly, saying that they had space available on both catamarans for our family. Now the question is: Which one to choose?

Background on us -- We are a family of four: hubby and I are in our mid-30s, and our two daughters, ages 7 and 4. Is there one vessel that is geared more towards children, or it really doesn't matter?

I know there is a price difference, and I'm wondering why the Silver Moon costs more? Is it because there will be less passengers (and thus, more attention from staff), and the lunch is a bit better? Both vessels still go to the same locations, correct? Is one particular boat a more "fun" atmosphere, as opposed to a more "laid back" one?

Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated. Also, would you recommend such a tour for young children, or would they not be able to enjoy? They do not tend to get carsick / nauseous at all, so that is not really a concern of ours, as I know it may be with other parents.

Thanks!

Linda

We are booked to go on SilverMoon I in March.

From what I have read, the difference in price is because there are typically only 10 to 12 people on SilverMoon I.

I don't recall reading any other differences. I could be wrong though. Guess I wasn't much help! :D

I wonder if there is a difference in the lunch/drinks served on board, or are they similar?

I thought I read somewhere that the buffet offerings on the Silvermoon I were more varied. Not sure about the drinks though.

I am leaning towards the Silvermoon I, but now I've read that the Silvermoon II has more shaded spots. But if there are less people on board, wouldn't the space be the same?

Has anyone ever taken young kids on this tour? Was it "worth" it for them?

Linda

There is quite a lot of shade on the back of Silver Moon I. The whole back end is covered with a canopy. You can also go down into the boat for more shade. I haven't been on II, so I don't know the difference in the amount of shade.

Hello everyone,

We just returned last week from our wonderful cruise. We booked the Silver Moon 1 in Barbados and I will tell you, we had an excursion booked for every Island and this excursion was the best by far!

SM 1 has only 10 -12 people, their is ample shade for all if you want, there is plenty of space for sun lovers also. We only had 9 people on our tour and the service, knowledge, attitude, friendliness, was nothing but top notch! Well worth the money pain. The lunch consisted of Lasagna, salad, potato salad, rice and beans, fried fish, and banana bread. They also served wine with our lunch if you wanted. The snorkeling was fabulous, the turtles was something I will never forget. While we were sailing back to the ship they served us frozen mixed drinks. There was a couple of women that were well into their 70's that were with us, really nice women and they did not snorkel or swim but just enjoyed the entire excursion. They had virgin strawberry daiquiris, so they really go out of their way to accommodate everyone! The guides were wonderful!

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Thanks, everyone! I am leaning towards the Silvermoon I, since if I'm going to shell out that kind of dough, might as well go all the way, right? ;)

How were the turtles? And how long did you stay at each snorkeling spot? What other sealife did you see?

Thanks!

Linda

The turtles were wonderful, order room service the night before and place bread in baggie to take on excursion with you. The fish loved to be fed! I took fritos and chips and I had hundreds of fish right in my face and I got some really good pics. We stayed about a hour with the turtles and the other sites were about 30 -45 minutes.

We seen all colors and size and colors of fish, star fish and on the way back to ship flying fish. I did'nt know waht I actually seen until he came out of the water the second time.

This tour was top notch and I will book again!

Don't dismiss the SM II. The differences in the catarans are:

SM I - Over nite - This cat has sleeping quarters.

SM II - This is a day catamarn. No sleeping space.

SM I - 12 people.

SM II - 18 people.

SM I - Some shade

SM II - A lot more shade.

Food and drinks are similiar.

I took the SM II. It was NOT crowded and there was plenty of spaces. It could hold a lot more tha 18.

We took Silver Moon I. It was wonderful! there were only 10 of us total so we got a lot on attention. While we waited to be pick up we were with a group going out on II.. They had a wonderful time but there were a lot more of them about 25. So it depends if you like just a few folks or a crowd. The food and stops were the same.

I must say out of all the tour I have taken this was one of the very best!

have fun

beauty

You can't go wrong eith either. We had 10 of us on I in December, with 2 children 10 and 14. Crew was very attentive to all, and food and drinks were delicious and plentiful. The highlight of our trip! If it matters, the turtles seemed more plentiful around our catamaran than the larger ones...but maybe our crew had more squid!

WE had a very fun time and the crew spoiled us with beverages from start to finish. The food was very good as well.

The boat is clean and well kept and the swim with the turtles was nice. Seldom do you get to get close enough to touch them as they swim by looking for food.

The boat price is kind of expensive,but we felt it was worth the money. Most of the cats we saw had 40+ people on them. Having only 12 was nice....Spanky My

Archived