Need info on sushi bar on Dawn

lsabe

We are sailing on the Dawn in 12 days and would like your feedback on the Sushi Bar. Is it worh the cost and is the food any good. Would appreciate your comments.

tks

We were on the 7/4 cruise on the Dawn. I am not a sushi fan. We ate at the Teppanyaki part of Bamboo. Bamboo has 3 different sections. The sushi bar, an asian fusion restaurant and the teppanyaki room. The Teppanyaki was excellent and definately worth the extra money. My sister and her husband are big sushi fans and went for sushi. They said it was worth the money. They went during a "happy hour" - half price off the normal charges. It was advertised in the freestyle daily - it seemed to be almost everyday from 5:30 - 6:30. You could also go there on the sea days for lunch. It looked neat - there was a conveyor belt that went in front of the bar and you just grabbed what you liked as it went by.

Crystal,

Hi Ya, no pictures today. ;)

Re: Sushi. Wasn't there an all-you-can-eat Sushi special for $10.00?

Could you describe the Teppanyaki. That's one restaurant we didn't make it to. Next Jan/Feb, we'll have plenty of time on the eleven day'r.

Am I gloating? Yes. :rolleyes: :D

Isabe, I was on that same July 4th cruise with crystalloubear. The Teppanyaki was a pay as you go, i.e., different prices for different 'entrees.' The other two, $10. Crystal will know more.

As she stated, there is an early bird special of half off.

Gianchaz - I was going to try a picture and I got a headache reading the instructions. LOL

The teppanyaki was similar to a Bennihani or other hibachi restaurant. For dinner they offered 3 seatings 5:30, 7:30 and 9:30. You could also eat there for lunch on the sea days. There were quite a few options to pick from - single picks(sirloin, chicken, shrimp, scallops) $10 charge or combo picks ($12.50) like filet mignon and shrimp, chicken and shrimp, shrimp and scallops. There were others that included seafood for the single and combos but I don't remember b/c I don't really like seafood much. They did have a whole lobster for "market price". One guy got it and it was still moving when they started grilling it. Anyway, first you got a fancy greens salad with a gingery dressing on it, next the Miso soup(my brother in law told me it was fish eye soup so I didn;t eat it- not sure what it was). After all that the main show starts. The chef arrives at the table (if you've never been everyone is seated around a table with a grill on it). He makes rice and vegetables. It is all a neat show with the knives and spatulas clanking. He passes out the rice and veggies. Then he makes all the main courses everyone ordered and passes them out. With your main course, you get a couple of dipping sauces - one was gingery and one mustardy. After all that, if you have any room left - dessert was a green tea ice cream or something else(don;t remember). The whole experience is a lot of fun especially if you get a group who eggs on the chef to show off more. Even if you have people in your group who aren't very adventurous, they will enjoy this meal.

Don't know how young your son is but I do know that the conveyor belt concept goes over really, really well esp., if it's all you can eat!

Just sitting him down in front of it and saying, "Take what you like," should be a great treat. :)

No doggy bags, please.;)

Don't know how young your son is but I do know that the conveyor belt concept goes over really, really well esp., if it's all you can eat!

Just sitting him down in front of it and saying, "Take what you like," should be a great treat. :)

No doggy bags, please.;)

For the $10 you get soup and dessert if the bait does not fill you up :D If you talk with the chefs making the sushi they will drop a surprise or two on the belt. The good stuff like eel :p

Tks for all your comments. My son is going to be 28 while on the cruise and has eaten at many sushi restaurants. He has a good knowledge of the quality of the product and is picky when it comes to sushi. Would you consider the sushi to be fair, good, excellent, etc. I don't think the cost is a problem if the food is a good quality.

BTW those of you that don't like raw fish, It is my understanding that all the fish is either cooked or smoked. Nothing raw...

That is what I have also found on my cruises. I think they don't serve raw fish for liability reasons. I have never seen a good raw piece of tuna or salmon at any sushi station on a cruise before. Usually cooked stuff and vegetables.

BTW those of you that don't like raw fish, It is my understanding that all the fish is either cooked or smoked. Nothing raw...
Thank you - that also serves as a useful warning for those of us who do like raw fish. Going to a sushi bar that serves only cooked or smoked fish is like going to a vegetarian steakhouse.

From Japan Tourism Guide:

Many gaijin falsely assume that all sushi is fish, but the name actually refers to the way the rice is prepared with vinegar, and you can also get sushi dishes with egg or vegetables. Fish and seafood are, of course, essential and traditional elements of Japanese cuisine, and range from the seaweed used in miso-shiru (soup) to the slices of tuna, salmon and squid laid across the slabs of sushi rice. Slices of raw fish and seafood on their own are generally called sashimi.

A sushi and sashimi guide

sashimi.jpg.9df5a6aefd4e61d308439e55e58e1e9c.jpg

sushi1.png.18361103f2573ec6004c7751f0afc73a.png

The free sushi bar on the the Dream Baltic cruise I took in Aug 2002 had the real thing-raw tuna, salmon,sqid, etc. on the rice. The term for this is nigiri.

I'm hoping to find thee same on the Sprit cruises to the Caribbean this winter.

Archived