Fiji stopover - is there enough time...

mringenoldus

I finally purchased our return Sydney to LAX tickets late last night. This morning I was very glad I did as the price went up again about $150.

We will be on Air Pacific for the return trip. We stop in Nadi, Fiji for 3 hours. Since we've never been to Polynesia, will this give us enough time to at least view any portion of the airport from ouside or very near the terminal?

There is no way that you will have time to view anything of Fiji. The nicest parts of Fiji are well away from the airport anyhow. As David says, you will be in transit.

You would not be allowed outside the airport unless your luggage was removed from the plane and you went through the formalities of their Customs. The only way to see anything of Fiji would be to have a stopover for a night or so.

Jennie

• 3 weeks later...
Sounds like I will have to be satisfied with looking out the windows and the airport gift shop!

.......there is not much outside the airport.....it is a poor area.

.......the best gift shops are in the departing waiting area......you will wait to be called to the gate in a central area and the shops are there......the shops are crummy in the arrival area, so go through security to the departing area for the better shops.

• 1 month later...

Long time since our Coral thread Maureen.

FLIGHT HINTS:

1. Because the NAN - LAX flight is a 747, usually wheels up about 11:00pm from NAN or so getting into LAX at 1:15pm.

2. The seats on the 747 aren't the most comfy in the world for the 10 and a half hours...I called it
"having cardboard bum"
after about 6 hours. We were on the upper deck with 3 X 3 seating which was nice because it was easier to get in and out and walk around downstairs if you wanted. Suggest you two take some good reading materials. Video system on old Singapore Airlines 747 is poor and difficult to operate, however the NAN/SYD leg will be on a 767 or a new series 737 which both have good AV systems.

3. Arrival at Tom Bradley is usually on time, however our flight stood for 3-4 hours waiting to get through US Homeland Security/Immigration. Seemingly it was a Sunday and they couldn't care less about passengers, so they never brought any extra staff in even though they were processing four 747s. Seems like poor management to me.

NAN HINTS

5. As mentioned in the thread already, as you walk into the NAN terminal. instead of going to the right to clear customs, you stay left and get into the lines for the transit lounge, where you complete checkin for your next leg to LAX.

6. The prices in the duty free shop in NAN are good and liquor prices are reasonable. Staff in the Duty Free shops are knowledgeable. If you want to buy some stuff without getting stuck with a batch of FJ$, I suggest you might exchange AUS$50 for Fijian prior to leaving SYD.

7. Kath and I are thinking of doing YVR/HNL/PPT on the Pacific Princess in Sep 09 with Roy & Karen who also did the Coral with us from FLL.

8. Hope you and Garrit have fun cruisin and give my best to Meggin.

Ciao for now!!!

Hi Ron and Kathi!!

We have a busy cruising season ahead. We just got back from AUS/NZD on the Sapphire. It was a great trip!!

Next up is the Celebrity Journey to Bermuda with garrit's aunt and uncle in October.

Then it's the Panama Canal on the Island Princess Dec.26. We have just been assigned BA C406. Not a bad cabin - but still hoping for the bump to a mini :)

Last, a girlfriend trip in the aft panorama suites on the Costa Med in March 2008.

Meggin has a short cruise planned with friends from LA on the Monarch.

Here's another Fiji hint - hide your chocolate! They make you either pack it (and risk having it melt) or dump it. Then you take 10 steps and they sell...you got it...chocolate!!

Have a great time...I hope our paths cross again soon.

Maureen

Archived