Excursion

AK Newbie

We are firstime cruisers and plan to visit Alaska in June. Leaning toward the Alaskan Explorer via Glacier Bay via the HAL Noordam leaving June 3.

What advice can anyone offer for picking excursions......

better to book thru HAL or visit online website?

main interests are wildlife, whales maybe some kayaking

are the only rail tours in Skagway (not on cruise ports for the above cruise) is missing Skagway a big deal??

all help appreciated.....so many choices, only so much time......

thanks

Hello and welcome!

A few pointers:

1) Get the excursion list from HAL and pick what you want to do in each port. For everything offered on the ship, there are always independant vendors who run the same tours. Usually the independant tours have major advantages: less cost, more time, personalized, etc.

2) Alaska is all about meeting people and having experiences you wouldn't otherwise get to have. Don't skimp on excursions. I've known many folks who downgraded their cabin to get a lower price so there would be more room in the budget to DO things in the various ports.

3) If wildlife is a priority, be ready to get on a smaller boat or fly in a smaller plane. I've always felt SouthEast Alaska was meant to be seen from a boat or small plane in order to really get a feel for how large, majestic, awesome, etc. things are up here.

I'll leave the specific recommendations for vendors up to other folks, but be sure you understand all the options for each tour. Even when I'm looking at the same whales as the next boat, the tours are totally different because of the people, boat, presentation style, etc...

Be careful cruising Alaska. It's a great way to get an overview of many things you'd like to re-visit. Many cruises lead to additional lengthy trips back!

-Case

We are firstime cruisers and plan to visit Alaska in June. Leaning toward the Alaskan Explorer via Glacier Bay via the HAL Noordam leaving June 3.

What advice can anyone offer for picking excursions......

better to book thru HAL or visit online website?

main interests are wildlife, whales maybe some kayaking

are the only rail tours in Skagway (not on cruise ports for the above cruise) is missing Skagway a big deal??

all help appreciated.....so many choices, only so much time......

thanks

I'm just so grateful I found CC before I booked a cruisetour! There are so many people here who have "been there/done that" to give you LOTS of help with planning! And as a result I've already had months enjoying researching and making our own plans! Spend all the time you can reading this board, and you'll come up with some great ideas. I also recommend getting a copy of Frommers Alaska at your library or Amazon.

Hello and welcome!

A few pointers:

1) Get the excursion list from HAL and pick what you want to do in each port. For everything offered on the ship, there are always independant vendors who run the same tours. Usually the independant tours have major advantages: less cost, more time, personalized, etc.

The OP states they are first time cruisers. I usually suggest that newbies stick with the ship's excursions. There are many advantages in convenience and security to the ship's excursions. The Shore Excursion Staff is there to look after you and show you what to do. All of the ship's excursions have pleased thousands of people and are very good of their type.

Once you get a few cruises under your belt and know more about disembarking, tendering, port layouts, re-boarding procedures, and so on, then it may be time to consider the advantages and disadvantages of independent operators.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Sorry, I do not agree with "first timers should have some "practice" with ship tours first".

Why would you assume that they can NOT manage to go on their own??? It is simple in Alaska to go with independents- they give explicit directions, the towns are small and simple to navagate, it's the US. Ship tours usually go in large groups, sometimes seasonal- know nothing guides reciting information. No slams- but sometimes. Independents, always give a more personal tour with smaller groups. Sometimes cost savings, sometimes longer tours. The internet has opened a big data base for getting information which is easily available. So I suggest look at both options. My clear preference are the independents of which I've been a customer of for years. Plenty of "first timers" have enjoyed them, so go with your preference and don't feel you need to only consider ship tours because you haven't cruised before.

My wife and I will be taking our 12th cruise this August (2nd Alaska cruise) and I have developed one steadfast rule as far as excursions go....this applies to all of the places we've cruised (Bahama's, Caribbean, Alaska, Panana Canal): For us (me particularly!!), it's either independent or nothing.

I use CC and other sites to research and if I cannot find an independent tour that interests us, then we don't do a organized excursion during that port stop. Might rent a car, otherwise we'll do a self-guided "walking tour", shop a little or just hang out on the ship. I've found that a lazy day on the ship is better than any excursion offered by the cruise line.

With the "virtual Better Business Bureau" that CC and other internet sites have created, independents must consistently provide superior service or they just won't stay in business for long...the same cannot be said for the companies that contract with the cruise lines.

Now I realize that everyone has different tastes and different expectations but independent is the only way to go for us.

Andy

p.s. Beware of the lame warning that the mother ship might leave without you if you dare take an independent tour. These folks (independent operators) livelihood depend, in large part, on cruise passengers....they care about you getting back on that ship almost as much as you do!

My wife and I will be taking our 12th cruise this August (2nd Alaska cruise) and I have developed one steadfast rule as far as excursions go....this applies to all of the places we've cruised (Bahama's, Caribbean, Alaska, Panana Canal): For us (me particularly!!), it's either independent or nothing ... p.s. Beware of the lame warning that the mother ship might leave without you if you dare take an independent tour. These folks (independent operators) livelihood depend, in large part, on cruise passengers....they care about you getting back on that ship almost as much as you do!

Well, we are leaving soon on our 30th cruise, and in the places we have visited (Caribbean, Canal, Alaska 6x, Med, South America, Africa, New Zealand, Brit Isles etc. etc.) -- we sometimes book independent and sometimes ship's excursions. However, what we do as experienced cruisers, and experienced researchers, is NOT necessarily the advice I offer to first timers. Of course it depends on how adventuresome and independent you feel. But the convenience and security of ship's excursions is a definite consideration for somebody who does not even know what a tender is.

And oh yes, the ship WILL leave without you, and HAS many times. It is true that the best independent operators in the ports with the best infrastructure care about getting you back and work very hard to do so. Nevertheless, things happen. In Costa Rica, for instance, a huge traffic jam developed and kept our bus from getting back to the ship. Since it was a ship's excursion, the ship was held, dining times rearranged, all was well. OTOH, in France, we took an independent tour to Mont St Michel. It was a great tour, the guide was wonderful, but on the way back to the ship a drawbridge went up, and stayed up, and stayed up ... our guide tried a short cut around it, and we could see our ship but not get to it! We wound up running down the pier and up the gangway just as they were raising it. Several times I have seen pax coming out on the pilot boat and jumping aboard the ship as it leaves the harbor. It CAN happen, and anyone booking independent has to take that into consideration. It is foolish to pooh pooh it and ignore the possibilities.

Suggesting that everyone should always take ship's excursions is not reasonable. Suggesting that everyone on every occasion should book independent is also not reasonable. There are many circumstances to consider and many variables in the decision. Ship's excursions are usually excellent and usually very safe and convenient. Those are big considerations.

Blue Darter- I couldn't agree with you more. I spend hours reading travel books from the library and doing web searches and using CC to determine what I'd like doing in the ports, and then I look for an independent vendor if I decide a tour is what would be best. Most often, it's either a car or some type of public transport to get to sites and then do our own thing. The only time I'd consider doing a ship excursion is if I feel it's the only or best way to combine what I want. Got our own visas and went with a private guide and driver in a van (6 of us) in St. Petersburg Russia. Wonderful experience! I HATE being herded into a large coach w/ 50 other passengers that usually have no idea about what they're seeing (they haven't done any research prior to their travels) and just do these things because they think it's the thing to do. You're correct in saying that often just walking around the ports is just fine--expecially in most Caribbean ports.:o

...Suggesting that everyone should always take ship's excursions is not reasonable. Suggesting that everyone on every occasion should book independent is also not reasonable. There are many circumstances to consider and many variables in the decision. Ship's excursions are usually excellent and usually very safe and convenient. Those are big considerations.

There's a voice of reason, and a fair compromise. I've been saying for a while now that any given tour isn't right for everyone. Some enjoy the convenience of a ship's tour, while others enjoy the cost or time benefits that come with independants.

A point I'd like to make in this discussion is that we're supposed to be talking about Alaska here... Alaska is part of the USA. The vast majority of "horror stories" I hear about cruising are from experineces in foreign ports. Just to be legal operating in Alaska, I have to have more insurance that most businesses are worth. Legally, I also have to adhere to a set of minimum safety standards that far exceed the "norm" for other countries. I can't think of an independant operator in Juneau (or all of Alaska for that matter) who wouldn't go above and beyond to make the traveler's experience the best possible.

Mike is right... things DO happen, but it's extremely rare that someone won't help you fix it and make things right. Besides, if you're Northbound and taking one of my tours in Juneau... I'd get you to Skagway before the ship did if we missed the departure time for any reason! :D

-Case

I have used both ship's excursions and independent vendors. What surprises me is when the same vendor books for both the cruiseline and individuals, and people choose to pay $40 more/pp to book it through the ship - such as the Taku Lodge Flight and Feast in Juneau! For those who think you'll get a refund if you booked through the ship and you can't go on it vs. with the vendor directly - that's what trip insurance is for.

On our first three cruises we were too concerned about missing the ship to book anything but the cruise line's excursions. Then I found Cruise Critic! :D

On our last two cruises, the only tour we booked through the cruise line was swimming with dolphins because we couldn't book it independently--Carnival purchased all the slots for it. We've found independent excursions to be much more enjoyable--they're more personal, with fewer people, and generally cost less.

The only reason I'd book a ship's tour now is if I really want to do something that the cruise line has purchased all the tickets for (like swimming with dolphins) or it's a long tour that goes into a very remote area--that type of thing.

My DD and I want to go salmon fishing in Alaska, and it looks like we may have to book through the ship. Unfortunately every independent I've been able to find requires a four-person minimum. I don't want to take the risk of booking and the vendor not being able to get two more people on the boat and my having to pay for four spots even though it's just the two of us going fishing! I booked salmon fishing through Carnival the first time we went to Alaska and had a great time, but I'm concerned that it's just the luck of the draw--would much rather choose my own vendor for it. But, at least I'll get to introduce my DD to salmon fishing!

Back to the point, even if I were a first-time cruiser I would book with independents when possible and reasonable. CC is invaluable when making plans, and every independent I've booked based on recommendations from CC members has met or exceeded my expectations.

Cheers!

Jayne

:)

...My DD and I want to go salmon fishing in Alaska, and it looks like we may have to book through the ship. Unfortunately every independent I've been able to find requires a four-person minimum. I don't want to take the risk of booking and the vendor not being able to get two more people on the boat and my having to pay for four spots even though it's just the two of us going fishing! I booked salmon fishing through Carnival the first time we went to Alaska and had a great time, but I'm concerned that it's just the luck of the draw--would much rather choose my own vendor for it. But, at least I'll get to introduce my DD to salmon fishing!...

Here's a great example...This is the timeless dilemma faced by charter operators everywhere. Options are:

1) Charter the whole boat. Pro: It's just the two of you. Con: Big cost since you're paying for 3-6 fares.

2) Take the ship's tour. Pro: Guaranteed to fill the boat (at least to minimum levels) so the trip will run. Con: Shared fishing time/experience with folks you don't know (and may not like.)

3) Book directly, and gamble whether the trip fills up. Pro: Possibility of a good price. Con: Possibility of a less-good price!

The boat has a fixed overhead to cover, so the minimums to run are a "necessary evil" in this business. Can't leave the dock if it means losing money, right?

Ship's tour or Independant? The choice is different for everyone.

Jayne- Keep looking! There are vendors out there who can definately make things work for your situation. If the fishing is a priority, and you can't find anyone in a given port to work with you, try a larger port where there may be more flexible options.

-Case

Here's a great example...This is the timeless dilemma faced by charter operators everywhere. Options are:

1) Charter the whole boat. Pro: It's just the two of you. Con: Big cost since you're paying for 3-6 fares.

2) Take the ship's tour. Pro: Guaranteed to fill the boat (at least to minimum levels) so the trip will run. Con: Shared fishing time/experience with folks you don't know (and may not like.)

3) Book directly, and gamble whether the trip fills up. Pro: Possibility of a good price. Con: Possibility of a less-good price!

The boat has a fixed overhead to cover, so the minimums to run are a "necessary evil" in this business. Can't leave the dock if it means losing money, right?

Ship's tour or Independant? The choice is different for everyone.

Jayne- Keep looking! There are vendors out there who can definately make things work for your situation. If the fishing is a priority, and you can't find anyone in a given port to work with you, try a larger port where there may be more flexible options.

-Case

Totally understand--I certainly wouldn't want an operator to take a loss, and I'm not willing to give up another excursion in order to charter the entire boat! ;)

In reality, the Carnival salmon-fishing excursion in Ketchikan is about $25 less than the independents. The problem with that for me is that I don't have any say in what captain I get. In 2001, I really liked our captain, and there were only three of us on the boat. So, it was a great time. But, on the bus on the way back to the ship a few of the guys who'd been on other boats felt that they got a less-than-stellar experience. Their biggest complaint was that their captain insisted they all buy King salmon stamps and threw back several pink salmon saying they were fishing for only King. Mind, you this was in mid/late August, so a bit late for a King-only trip. All four fisherman on that boat came back empty handed, while I was excited about the five pink I'd caught that were being half filleted and half smoked and send to my home!

I've checked on my roll call, but so far no one else is planning to go fishing, so it's just Becky and me still.

Thanks!

Jayne

:)

We visited our AAA TA yesterday and decided to put down a deposit for a cruise....ended up changing to Island Princess 6/4/07 Southbound from Whittier to Vancouver......better deal, balcony, different ports,

includes SKagway (interested in the rail trip)

Lots of research to do but thanks to all the advice now I know where to look and what to consider. Probably will mostly go with ship excursions but am open to looking at other options because of the advice.

Can't wait:) :) :) :) .......my husband keeps trying to get me off the computer.....now I'm obsessed with reading everything I can

(got the Frommers Alaska cruise book too)

For those who think you'll get a refund if you booked through the ship and you can't go on it vs. with the vendor directly - that's what trip insurance is for.

I have never heard of any trip insurance that would cover cancellation of a pre-booked independent shore excursion -- for instance if the ship did not make the port or came in late. It is a chance you take. You have to check the operator's terms very carefully, and quite a few of them do not make refunds.

Do you know of any insurance that covers independent excursions? I would like to know the company. I would certainly use them when I book independently.

And oh yes, the ship WILL leave without you, and HAS many times. It is true that the best independent operators in the ports with the best infrastructure care about getting you back and work very hard to do so. Nevertheless, things happen. In Costa Rica, for instance, a huge traffic jam developed and kept our bus from getting back to the ship. Since it was a ship's excursion, the ship was held, dining times rearranged, all was well. OTOH, in France, we took an independent tour to Mont St Michel. It was a great tour, the guide was wonderful, but on the way back to the ship a drawbridge went up, and stayed up, and stayed up ... our guide tried a short cut around it, and we could see our ship but not get to it! We wound up running down the pier and up the gangway just as they were raising it. Several times I have seen pax coming out on the pilot boat and jumping aboard the ship as it leaves the harbor. It CAN happen, and anyone booking independent has to take that into consideration. It is foolish to pooh pooh it and ignore the possibilities.

Suggesting that everyone should always take ship's excursions is not reasonable. Suggesting that everyone on every occasion should book independent is also not reasonable. There are many circumstances to consider and many variables in the decision. Ship's excursions are usually excellent and usually very safe and convenient. Those are big considerations.

WHAT does ANY of this have to do with Alaska???? You post this over and over with NO basis of this happening in Alaska. Can you give a direct example of this in Alaska??? The Alaska venders, recommended over and over and over on this board are masters at scheduling and giving superior tours. Their customers do not miss ships. Otherwise it would be well noted on this board. So, I still say- people reading this board are interested in doing their homework, they don't need a "practice" trip with their hand held, if they don't want it.

I have never heard of any trip insurance that would cover cancellation of a pre-booked independent shore excursion -- for instance if the ship did not make the port or came in late. It is a chance you take. You have to check the operator's terms very carefully, and quite a few of them do not make refunds.

Do you know of any insurance that covers independent excursions? I would like to know the company. I would certainly use them when I book independently.

And I know of MANY Alaska venders who would most certainly REFUND fully if the ship does not make port. What specific venders are YOU referring to that do not???? Simple to just inquire of the policies when you are looking at booking.

Trip insurance is meant to cover pre-paid trip expenses. I buy enough extra insurance to cover prepaid excursions and hotels - just in case. I've used Travelex for several cruises and haven't had to make a claim, but I just called them to verify that they do indeed cover excursions. The answer is yes, as long as it has been prepaid.

Trip insurance is meant to cover pre-paid trip expenses. I buy enough extra insurance to cover prepaid excursions and hotels - just in case. I've used Travelex for several cruises and haven't had to make a claim, but I just called them to verify that they do indeed cover excursions. The answer is yes, as long as it has been prepaid.

But that is for "covered" reasons, isn't it? Which basically means sickness or some other thing that will cause you to miss the cruise. It is hard to believe that they will cover prepaid excursions if the ship just doesn't make it to port.

Mike - did you miss this post from BQ?? After the AK vendors I've talked to, I have to agree with it.

And I know of MANY Alaska venders who would most certainly REFUND fully if the ship does not make port. What specific venders are YOU referring to that do not???? Simple to just inquire of the policies when you are looking at booking.

But that is for "covered" reasons, isn't it? Which basically means sickness or some other thing that will cause you to miss the cruise. It is hard to believe that they will cover prepaid excursions if the ship just doesn't make it to port.

IF we missed an excursion because the ship didn't make it to port and IF we were not refunded by the independent vendor, then I would file an insurance claim when I returned home. Do those claims get paid? I don't know - because I've never read about cruise passengers in Alaska not being refunded when the ship didn't get there or was late. I am far more concerned about pre-paying and then recouping the cancellation fees if we can't go on the trip at all. I know the insurance covers that.

What surprises me is when the same vendor books for both the cruiseline and individuals, and people choose to pay $40 more/pp to book it through the ship.

To offer the other perspective, my husband and I are ones who have always booked through the cruise line (NCL, in our case - we've been on 3 NCL cruises together). I am not opposed to booking independently, but I personally like the comfort of booking with NCL because we know exactly what to expect. I have always been extremely pleased with the excursions we've chosen, and I always know what to expect. I'm a big planner when it comes to vacations, and I feel I don't have to worry so much when I book through the cruise line. But that's just my opinion and personal preference. And I think it's great when other people book independently.

I have to say, planning this trip to Alaska was the first time I really looked at independent tours, but then I was able to find just what I wanted through NCL and I know what to expect and what I'm going to get.

Just out of curiosity, what happens with an independent booking if the tour must be cancelled ahead of time? How do they notify you if you're on your cruise? Do they wait until you dock and then tell you your tour is cancelled? If something happens with a tour through NCL, and they know a couple days ahead of time, they can notify you right away so you can get a new tour. What happens with independent tours?? Just curious. :)

To comment to the OP...my husband and I were very interested in kayaking, and several people on this Alaska board mentioned that Ketchikan was the best (or a great!) place to do kayaking, so we booked a 1/2-day kayaking excursion there.

These boards are an excellent place to narrow down your excursion choices! :)

if a tour is cancelled due to weather, it won't make any difference..independent or cruise ship. low clouds, fog, heavy rain...all the flightseeing would be ground.

some, like orca enterprises, have more then 1 boat. if they have engine touble on one, they can switch to another? when i called orca, i was impressed, they knew more about my cruise ship, when to expect me and how long it would take to get off the ship. the locals HAVE to know their business. in a foreign country i can see worrying about it. but in areas like alaska, nah. most loca/independents won't book for times that don't work with your cruise schedule.

some of the locals are used by the cruise ships, you can be on the same tour with people who booked through the ship. you just paid less not booking through the ship.

Archived