OMG! English, French or American ??? Panic!

Kernel Fudge

Booked on our first cruise, on the Sea, at the end March. Boy, are we looking forward to it !!!:D

Avid user of the CC website. It is, and you all are, excellent at providing all sorts of essential info to make cruising the best. So I need your help....

I often read posts regarding the gastronomic delights I have waiting for me, including grills, prime rib, etc. and often sit here drooling like Homer Simpsom at the thought! :D I have got through 3 keyboards so far because of this (yeewwww!) and sometimes it happens without me even notic,kdew*>>jkemm+$. Sorry, there you go, keyboard 5 !!;)

Anyway, mustard ! English, French or American? On the Sea. Really important or I may need to cancel !!

American? Well it's ok. And it tries real hard, but it's only good for hotdogs.

French? They make some reasonable wine. Not all of their cheese is bad and the bread is excellent. But that's it.

Which leads us to the only mustard a steak deserves. The only one to bring (literally) tears to your eyes. Good old English !! (God bless you, your Majesty!).

Please tell me it's available on the Sea, please!

Which leads us to the only mustard a steak deserves. The only one to bring (literally) tears to your eyes. Good old English !! (God bless you, your Majesty!).

Take your own if it is really that important!:D :D

Be sure to bring it to the mustard drill before you sail. It's an awesome sight, people marching in formation with their mustard.

You could bring your own mustard, of course, and have the waiters prepare some for you on the evenings you wish to eat steak. But, steak and mustard...that's a new one! Try some horseradish if you're in a pinch, but the stuff Princess has isn't all that potent. A good horseradish should penetrate all your sinuses, and threaten to take the top of your head off. :)

I've heard of all kinds of sauces including ketchup on a steak...but I have never heard of mustard. Personally, when I have a good steak I don't like to distort the flavor. I happen to love the taste of a good rare charred steak...but I guess on the other side of the pond things are done a bit differently. In any case...I suggest if it's a "must"...bring it with you.

Good luck and happy sailing!

Way back in '89, on then Sea Princess (originally Kungsholm, then SP, then Victoria, now Mona Lisa), on a voyage from Osaka Japan to Vancouver BC via Honolulu, there was a young fellow, travelling with his mother, who three meals a day, for all fifteen nights, had steak and fries, with copious amounts of Heinz Catsup!!

Starnge type - wore bow ties that matched his mother's dress!

Way back in '89, on then Sea Princess (originally Kungsholm, then SP, then Victoria, now Mona Lisa), on a voyage from Osaka Japan to Vancouver BC via Honolulu, there was a young fellow, travelling with his mother, who three meals a day, for all fifteen nights, had steak and fries, with copious amounts of Heinz Catsup!!

Starnge type - wore bow ties that matched his mother's dress!

His name was John Kerry.

:cool:

LL

I'm sure if I had to eat that "boiled English beef" I'd soak it with whatever I could get my hands on.

A good old Southwestern steak broiled on open flames with just salt and pepper and a bit of beer to keep the flames down. If we all had that to eat we wouldn't need mustard, or catsup, or horseradish, or (heaven forbid) steak sauce!!;) :D :cool:

Booked on our first cruise, on the Sea, at the end March. Boy, are we looking forward to it !!!:D

Avid user of the CC website. It is, and you all are, excellent at providing all sorts of essential info to make cruising the best. So I need your help....

I often read posts regarding the gastronomic delights I have waiting for me, including grills, prime rib, etc. and often sit here drooling like Homer Simpsom at the thought! :D I have got through 3 keyboards so far because of this (yeewwww!) and sometimes it happens without me even notic,kdew*>>jkemm+$. Sorry, there you go, keyboard 5 !!;)

Anyway, mustard ! English, French or American? On the Sea. Really important or I may need to cancel !!

French? They make some reasonable wine. Not all of their cheese is bad and the bread is excellent. But that's it.

Whats this "Kernel Fudge" is this some sort of "mustard windup"

:confused:

Two years ago on the Regal, our British table mates asked for "English" mustard. They brought a powdered mustard (is this English mustard?). I think that our table mates mixed it with water and were very happy with it. I try not to let mustard (any kind) touch my lips :) , but DH loves it and remembers that this stuff was very potent.

OMG! is right. MUSTARD WITH STEAK??????????? Surely this is a joke!! I always tease my husband about using "steak" sauce with a steak. There is nothing better than the taste of a nice medium steak absoultely NEKKID!!

Mustard with steak is a very British thing:)

English mustard comes in two forms-------ready made and a powder which is mixed with water to your own taste. It is *very* hot, and very yellow in colour ( note english spelling :) -----yet another difference:) )

Each nationality has its own idiosyncrasies regarding what to serve with what food---------I could name quite a few that those of you in the USA have which make me shudder but politeness makes me refrain :)

Enjoy the differences between folks :D

Hi there Kernel Fudge - we are joining your cruise on the 7 April at Barbados - As Brits we have experience of English Mustard! - on our previous cruises the waiter in the dining room has prepared english mustard for us, we were sceptical the first time they said they would get us English mustard, bearing in the mind the 'soft' options available in the States however, true to their word it was English and very hot! See you on the Sea !

bearing in the mind the 'soft' options available in the States however, true to their word it was English and very hot!
Actually, just about anything you could possibly want is available in States. I just did an inventory of our condiments. We have the typical bright yellow hot-dog mustard, Grey Poupon, German-style mustard, mustard with horseradish, and we even have a can of Colman's (of Norwich, est. 1814, by Appointment to Her Majesty The Queen!) It's all here. Enjoy!

May be our stiff upper lip is due to the good old English Mustard. For your info Kernel Fudge Colman’s do a small squeeze tube of English Mustard which can be purchased from Sainsbury or Tesco, Wal-Mart (Asda) may have it along with the other cheap and cheerful tat they stock. Good English Mustard just what the Dr ordered for travelling, to the Colonies my good chap.

They obviously hold a stash of the dried version which lasts for ever and when mixed with a little water does the trick.

I'm from the Uk and usually eat my steak without extras but I have been known occassionally to use a little mustard (English).

It is much hotter than the American kind and I often wonder how many people from the USA have visited the UK and slapped on some mustard onto their meal thinking it was the American type....only to discover their mouth then EXPLODING!!!

Archived