Do You REALLY Care about your Cabin???

It VERY much matters to us. Travelling anywhere, including cruises, who would want to get stuck in a closet without a window. Got stuck in one once, and never again!

When you get a nice room, I enjoy my nice room. And I can't sail without a balcony. It has opened up a whole world of cruising.

And if I couldn't afford a cruise without a decent room, I would no longer sail.

I have read over and over about the "afts" the "humps", etc.,..... and would like to know does your cabin really matter that much? Are you just as satisfied with an E1 as a D1? Do you usually book inside/oceanview, or balcony and does it matter really WHERE it is???

In other words, if a hump/aft is available, do you feel it is REALLY that important/necessary to spend the extra $$ over say an E2????? Thanks for all your replies on this....I hope I am making sense in my question.

We choose the destination, then we choose the ship, then we look at the budget, and we choose the stateroom category. Within that category we find the stateroom that will give us the biggest bang for the buck.

If that cruise involves a balcony, THEN we choose the stateroom that has the clearest shot of the sky, so that our GPS works!:D

Leslie

I have had a window once, a balcony once, and once in a cheap room. My next cruise is in March and I have booked a cheap room. Im a cop, (dont make much) and therefore on a STRICT budget. I would love to have a balcony, as I REALLY enjoyed the one I had before, but I would rather save money on my room and put that money towards excursions, booze, etc. I dont spend that much time in my room anyway. Rooms are for sleeping, getting ready, and hanky panky;) . I must admit though, breakfast on the balcony in the morning was awesome!

I have read over and over about the "afts" the "humps", etc.,..... and would like to know does your cabin really matter that much? Are you just as satisfied with an E1 as a D1? Do you usually book inside/oceanview, or balcony and does it matter really WHERE it is???

In other words, if a hump/aft is available, do you feel it is REALLY that important/necessary to spend the extra $$ over say an E2????? Thanks for all your replies on this....I hope I am making sense in my question.

While price is always an important factor, stateroom category and location is usually the deciding factor for us. We usually do extensive research before deciding on a stateroom. And we've been known to change our stateroom frequently as different rooms become available before sailing date. Who wants to be stuck in a noisey stateroom during your vacation? Or one that is a long distance from the nearest stairs/elevator? Or a stateroom with an obstructed view? These are all important details for us.

Our cabin choice is very important to me, not so much to DH. He'd be happy as a clam in an inside room, whereas I need a balcony, preferably a JS or above. Though the type of cabin doesn't matter to him, we do hang out in the cabin a lot... Please no flames, but I am a smoker, and I do not smoke inside, nor outside on public decks, so that is also why I require a balcony (I have never been asked to stop as I have been surrounded by smokers on all my cruises, but would do so if requested). As far as location on the ship, I try to be centrally located, but don't really care if nothing is available midship.

I was in a panic before our EOS trip in December because we had to book an OV because that was all that was left. Thankfully a JS opened up in August, I believe. Then, we are booked on Empress for Dec. 07, and same thing, had to book OV, but snagged a JS last week. It has all worked out well for us so far!

Personally, selecting a cabin depends who I am cruising with and the cruising goal.

For voyages with my mom, a centrally located handicapped cabin is preferable. In Alaska, I was quite content with an oceanview and probably would not opt for a balcony..... too cold!;) When sailing solo or with friends, I could care less where I am on the ship, but I do always consider the itinierary and what my goals for the cruise may be. Sometimes I am more interested in adventurous port visits and any inside will do.:) At other times, I could care less about the ports and just want to relax, read, and soak in the sun, so a balcony would be preferable....and in considering whether or not a balcony is necessary, I also give cost some consideration. On my next sailing, the difference between an inside cabin and junior suite aft balcony was about five hundred dollars with the Crown and Anchor Diamond discount and a resident rate, so I booked my first aft... Happy early birthday to me!:D

We book the best catagories on long cruises to other countries, canal cruises, or Hawaii. On short cruises stateroom catagory doesn't matter.

It isn't a matter of money because we spend it regardless.

We also take many land based vacations.

We recently booked a last minute deal on the shortest cruise we've ever been on...5 days. We thought we'd hate the cabin but we weren't in it long enough to care.

Our cabin choice is very important to me, not so much to DH. He'd be happy as a clam in an inside room, whereas I need a balcony, preferably a JS or above. Though the type of cabin doesn't matter to him, we do hang out in the cabin a lot... Please no flames, but I am a smoker, and I do not smoke inside, nor outside on public decks, so that is also why I require a balcony (I have never been asked to stop as I have been surrounded by smokers on all my cruises, but would do so if requested). As far as location on the ship, I try to be centrally located, but don't really care if nothing is available midship.

I was in a panic before our EOS trip in December because we had to book an OV because that was all that was left. Thankfully a JS opened up in August, I believe. Then, we are booked on Empress for Dec. 07, and same thing, had to book OV, but snagged a JS last week. It has all worked out well for us so far!

Leslie! I never would have thought it! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cabin is important to us and we have only cruised once...going on our 2nd.

but...as in our land based vacations...the room is always important to us.

Its part of the escape and vacation to have a great room.

A balcony on a cruise ship is the best ocean view room we have ever had.;)

We enjoy time in our cabin and enjoy the view that the balcony room has to offer. I am not all into the aft/hump, etc. but do want to be midship and on a floor that has rooms above/below us.

I personally would love the space of the JS...but its just not worth $800 more to us. I love that we got a D2 for a GREAT price. :p

I think it matters too. We booked our first balcony (D1) on Rhapsody and loved it sooo much. For our Voyager cruise, a balcony is a must.. and on our anniversay cruise to the Panama in 2009, I already said I want a aft balcony cabin. On Rhapsody I knew someone who had a aft and boy, was it sweet.

D :)

I guess I am with the minority here today, It did not matter do me since I was workin with a budget to ensure the Kids enjoy Disnet later this year and our 2nd cruise also, so inside is fine with me...Plenty of resort packages under my belt and I can not remember a time where I opt'd for a particular room that has the same(or as close to the same) amenities as other rooms just to be closer to the ocean vs garden. Beach front, ocean front, garden view, when it all boils down to it we all do the same thing, sleep, shower and change. I dont see how much time could be spent in a room/cabin if you have shore days excursions, activities etc...I want to see what the ship has to offer so in my cabin is where you wont find me. People ant be spending that much time in there room any way if people are complainng about no chairs and chair hogs holding hours :p Is getting the more expensive rooms (aft/balc) about the size or loation or more like bragging rights??

I guess I am with the minority here today, It did not matter do me since I was workin with a budget to ensure the Kids enjoy Disnet later this year and our 2nd cruise also, so inside is fine with me...Plenty of resort packages under my belt and I can not remember a time where I opt'd for a particular room that has the same(or as close to the same) amenities as other rooms just to be closer to the ocean vs garden. Beach front, ocean front, garden view, when it all boils down to it we all do the same thing, sleep, shower and change. I dont see how much time could be spent in a room/cabin if you have shore days excursions, activities etc...I want to see what the ship has to offer so in my cabin is where you wont find me. People ant be spending that much time in there room any way if people are complainng about no chairs and chair hogs holding hours :p Is getting the more expensive rooms (aft/balc) about the size or loation or more like bragging rights??

No not bragging rights at all. Just different preferances is all. Yes there are many more amenities in the larger rooms. I can promise you much of our time is spent in our room and I like to be able to walk without bumping into stuff. I just don't like a tiny room. I respect your choice to opt for a smaller cabin if you don't spend more time in your room, esspecially since you have kids and are thinking of them. It's just a discussion of preferences when you can, or choose to spend the money to do so.

PS Remember some of us don't even get off the ship at some ports, (been there done that at times) and enjoying a nice room and each other's company is great.

On our cruises the cabin is most important to us, next important would be the ports of call. We only cruise once every 2 yrs & always book the top category cabin. We started with porthole oceanview long ago & have worked our way up, what a way to go...

RSSCAPTAIN, I can respect that but no children with us for the cruise until they are older so just DW and I...But after reading quite a few messages I have yet to read anything like " the beds flet so much better" or "there were more electrical out lets in here then an inside cabin" the coffee pot makes the best coffe in this expensive cabin" A I read is how much bigger it was how big the deck was and the aminities are better, sucah as??? the T.V.plays better movies?? an aft cabin has a wireless remote while an inside cabin has the one velcrowed to the night stand??? Or is it the towels are softer?? Some one please explain to me other then the obvious(more space, larger balc) what makes the difference..NO I am all for spending your hard earned money the way you like and how you liked but not many has really answered the OP question

lt may just be me but it does not seem that "some" were happy to be cruising but more happy to brag on the fact that they spent thebig buck for a cabin that taking you to the same place the other passengers are going

RSSCAPTAIN, I can respect that but no children with us for the cruise until they are older so just DW and I...But after reading quite a few messages I have yet to read anything like " the beds flet so much better" or "there were more electrical out lets in here then an inside cabin" the coffee pot makes the best coffe in this expensive cabin" A I read is how much bigger it was how big the deck was and the aminities are better, sucah as??? the T.V.plays better movies?? an aft cabin has a wireless remote while an inside cabin has the one velcrowed to the night stand??? Or is it the towels are softer?? Some one please explain to me other then the obvious(more space, larger balc) what makes the difference..NO I am all for spending your hard earned money the way you like and how you liked but not many has really answered the OP question

lt may just be me but it does not seem that "some" were happy to be cruising but more happy to brag on the fact that they spent thebig buck for a cabin that taking you to the same place the other passengers are going

I like the more closet room. I like to have a bathtub and not just a tight shower. I really enjoy the balcony, and being able to breathe fresh air, and the space in general is important to me. I also like the larger screen tv, and the sound system I'm told is in the GS, and DVD. But, you are certainly correct that we all get to the same place. It's just how we choose to get there is all. Again, even if you are not traveling with the kids just now, looking out for their future is certainly respectable! We were much more economical as well when our daughter was home!

I live in the Caribbean and have lived in several of the islands so to me the ship is an important part of my vacation so yes the cabin is important. If i cant afford a balcony I wont go and the bigger the better,

For us, yes. We will spend the extra money to get a specific room that meets our criteria. True, we don't go on a cruise to sit in the room all day, but we want to enjoy the room and the view while we are in it.

I agree, someone mentioned they would not sail without a "decent" room. I have been on 11 cruises, 4 different lines, and never had an inside cabin that wasn't decent. Our cruises are usually always port intensive, out at 7 am back at 5 PM. ,maybe 3 sea days out of 12 like in the Baltics. And, with the wind blowing maybe Iam on the balcony like an ave. of 30 min. per day for about $2,000 more in most cases- not me. I just did not use the balcony (1 cruise) for any meal or for parties.

If the only way I can afford to get up in the morning and see the Acropolis or Pompei after sleeping in my "closet" then so be it.

See RSSCAPTAIN thats what I am talking about, and honest answer, tub issue, bigger screen, fresh air and the fact that you can splurg more now that you DD is own her own!! that help an argument(discussion lol) as opposed to just the often "bigger is better" syndrom

Dont mind me RSSCAPTAIN I just like to play devils advocate allot in forums to really see what people think and have to say :p infact I have a balcony book for our Oct. cruise with CCI, see I am not trouble maker(I know were thinking it lol)

Done 2 oceanviews and 1 balcony. Anything with at least a window will work for me (so no insides). Can't do an inside..... somewhat claustrophobic.

Really enjoyed the balcony (2nd cruise) but had no trouble going back to an oceanview for 3rd. Not really intent on paying for a js or above but if the upgrade fairy saw fit to bestow upon me the favor of one......well I would be very accomodating.....:D

Oh gosh, no bragging here. We spend a LOT of time in our cabin, that is why we like the JS's. Unless we are traveling with other family members or friends, we never enter the main dining room, our meals usually come from Room Service, the specialty restaurants or "to go" from the Windjammer. We like the extra room to enjoy our meals, and quiet time together.

My hubby is 6'4" so we really appreciate the shower :D And since I usually pack WAY too much, we like the walk-in closet ;)

###

Archived