I've about had it with WSOD's

constructiondude

WSOD's means the dreaded "White Screen of Death"...and its appearing more often these days. I'm to the point where I don't even want to be on here. Is CC working on this issue? It's just very frustrating to carefully pen a response to someone and then it happens. I have to log back in again and bump the post to the top because even though my response got posted, the WSOD doesn't move it to the top of the list and hence, it gets buried by other posters who didn't have any WSOD problems.

It will probably happen even as I'm posting this.

Dude, we all feel your pain. I don't know if this will help, but you can write to Host Walt, the moderator for the HAL board, at hostwalt at cruise critic dot com, and explain what's going on. You can also write to Laura, the CC editor, at community at cruise critic dot com.

Karin

It's probably what we call "race conditions" in the software industry. You are trying to alter the database as you make your post at exactly the same time that somebody else is also accessing the database, probably to read a post.

It's a problem that large web servers always have, but that sophisticated software should be able to handle.

I know there have been several server/software upgrades made in efforts to solve the problem and they continue to work on it. I suspect that this site has grown much larger than was ever anticipated and the system is overwhelmed with the traffic.

Yes, it can be very frustrating at times, but most of us have learned ways to cope, like copying a reply to the clipboard "just in case", or doing lengthy replies in a word processor program and then "copy/paste" to post.

I consider it sort of like putting up with traffic jams on the morning commute. It's frustrating, you know it shouldn't take so long, but you put up with it since there aren't many choices. Yes, there are other sites for cruise information, just as there are other places you could get a job. But there is only one CruiseCritic, so I'll put up with the problems as long as I know that the dedicated people that run the site are trying their best and working toward a solution.

I have a feeling that if this site went away, none of the other sites would be able to handle the huge traffic increases.

I end up getting double posts by doing this, but if I get teh WSOD, I hit my refresh button. Brings the page right up, with double posts though.

Also CNTL - A and CNTL - C your posts to copy it in case you really do error out. That way you can just plop the original text back into a new reply window without rewriting everything.

I end up getting double posts by doing this, but if I get teh WSOD, I hit my refresh button. Brings the page right up, with double posts though.

Also CNTL - A and CNTL - C your posts to copy it in case you really do error out. That way you can just plop the original text back into a new reply window without rewriting everything.

I never hit the refresh button from the white screen, so I almost never get double posts. Hit the back butto a couple of times instead. I have the link to the HAL page on my favorites, and it is right there beside the thread window, so the easiest for me is to just click that link and come in that way. the post is either there or it isn't. If it isn't, like you said, I paste it from the clipboard into a new reply window and try it again.

Sailorgirl,

The refresh button is the number one cause of double posts.

What I do with the WSOD is use the back button twice, then refresh.

Works for me.:)

Sailorgirl,

The refresh button is the number one cause of double posts.

What I do with the WSOD is use the back button twice, then refresh.

Works for me.:)

Tinknock...It works for me too & I want to thank you for suggesting we do that several weeks ago..It's so much easier..

Thanks again..:) Betty

Tinknock...It works for me too & I want to thank you for suggesting we do that several weeks ago..It's so much easier..

Thanks again..:) Betty

Betty....glad its helping you.:)

Now if I could just find a cure for the posts that get stuck in the ozone.:rolleyes:

WSOD's means the dreaded "White Screen of Death"...and its appearing more often these days. I'm to the point where I don't even want to be on here.

I sure hope CC is addressing not just this issue, but others. I'm finding that I am losing whole posts. I'll post to a thread and a couple of days later, I'll find that the post has disappeared. I can't imagine the moderators deleting it ... because in each case that this has happened, there was nothing in the post that would be in the slightest bit non-conforming to CC guidelines.

I think the software has some issues ... maybe handling the ever-growing large amount of traffic this board is getting.

Blue skies ...

--rita

It's probably what we call "race conditions" in the software industry. You are trying to alter the database as you make your post at exactly the same time that somebody else is also accessing the database, probably to read a post.

It's a problem that large web servers always have, but that sophisticated software should be able to handle.

I am one of those people who does not require a lot of sleep and am often on here in the late night and/or early morning hours. There are very few who are positing from anywhere, at this time and yet the same problems persist.

In otherwords, I do not think there is contention in the database at 2:00AM.

I never tried hitting the back button Sean, will do so next time.

I used to do as you did and re-open the entire site, but by experimenting I figured 2 back buttons and one refresh did the trick.

Just remember that a post can disappear or get hung up in cyberspace using any method. Haven't figured out how to stop that.:(

I didn't realize my recent post was actually on here-when I saw the WSOD I thought it was gone forever. I didn't know I could log back on, find it and bump it. Thanks for the info.

St. Louis Sal

What's funny is I can't even bump mine! Someone posted a thread just for me, and I've responded twice and neither time did the thread refresh at the top of the most recent posts.

It's so irritating!!

I TRY to remember to copy before I click. I've tried refreshing and of course- double post, or sometimes the more exasperating "sorry but your last post was less than three seconds ago" or whatever that error message is.

HOWEVER

I BELIEVE I AM THE ONLY PERSON TO HAVE JUST SPENT 65 BUCKS IN THE EXPLORATIONS CAFE GETTING THE WSOD!!!

I TRY to remember to copy before I click. I've tried refreshing and of course- double post, or sometimes the more exasperating "sorry but your last post was less than three seconds ago" or whatever that error message is.

HOWEVER

I BELIEVE I AM THE ONLY PERSON TO HAVE JUST SPENT 65 BUCKS IN THE EXPLORATIONS CAFE GETTING THE WSOD!!!

Archived