Century Captain's Table v.s Murano

dmk

From time to time, we have been fortunate to be invited to the Captain's Table. On our Century cruise, we were invited and decided to cancel are reservations at the Murano Restaurant.

This was a mistake!

Brenda, the Captain's Club Hostess, did not reserve an area for the group to meet prior to dinner. This resulted in much confusion as to where to go. When we finally assembled, Brenda did not introduce any of the guests to each other. The group managed to make their own introductions. This gave an opportunity to Kathryn Raaker, a radio DJ from a Cincinnati, to madly pass out her business cards to all. She and her husband totally dominated the conversation and it was difficult for others to chat...what a mistake that she was placed next to the Captain..she seemed to have little to say when not talking about herself.

There is a lovely tradition when invited to the Captain's Table. The photographer takes a picture of the group as a souvenir for the guests. Usually, the CC hostess would announce that the photographer was ready. Brenda said nothing and the picture was taken with everyone in the middle of conversations...not much of a souvenir.

Captain Mitropolous did not go out of his way to make conversation or make his guests feel welcome. When he was asked questions, he gave one word answers...quite a cool unwelcoming Master.

It is really an Honor to be invited to the Captain's Table. When we've been fortunate in the past to be invited, we have always looked forward to the occasion with great anticipation. On this occasion we would have preferred to have kept our reservation for the Murano.

We had the good fortune to sit with the chief engineer at the early sitting. He was much more of a conversationalist than Captain Mitropolous. However whenever we met the captain in any other setting he was very friendly.

I thought Brenda was overwhelmed with her position. On several occasions she made mis-statements... once about the awards on the "Zenith" in the previous sailing.

During the awards presentation at the Captain's club party it seemed that Kathryn Raaker attempted to steal the mike from Dru to keep on talking.

I still can't understand how Century was selected by "Cinci's Christian station" for Century's superior service.

Her picture on the station's website is about 30 years older than the picture I took of her during the awards.

All I can add is that when we were on Century in December, we found Brenda to be the least friendly, uninterested Capt. Club Hostess we ever met. Never smiled, seemed like we were interrupting her if we stopped to ask her a question.....very unusual as the hostesses are usually terrific.

All I can add is that when we were on Century in December, we found Brenda to be the least friendly, uninterested Capt. Club Hostess we ever met. Never smiled, seemed like we were interrupting her if we stopped to ask her a question.....very unusual as the hostesses are usually terrific.

That was our feeling as well. I approached her about getting the names of Captain's Club hostesses for my "Who's Where List" and I received a long-suffering, very irritated sigh before she rattled off some names. She certainly does not act as if she enjoys her role. Melanie Pavlov, Cruise Sales Manager, on the other hand is superb in making a person feel welcome.

I have to offer a very different opinion about Brenda. She was a delightful, friendly person when we sailed in Nov/Dec of this past year. She went out of her way to be helpful. The Captain's Table was handled very well, including a very nice picture, and a pleasant pre-dinner meeting. I agree that Melanie was also delightful.

Isn't it interesting that people get such diverse views of other people. I hope we have the opportunity to sail with Brenda again soon.

The captain's club hostess on our recent constellation cruise was virtually invisible (at least to us). The only time I really got an opportunity to talk with her was the day of disembarkation, when she was 'stationed' in Ocean Liners, to control the disembarkation process.

I mentioned to her that we really had not seen her much during the cruise, and her reply was that there were over 200 captains club members on that cruise, so she was incredibly 'busy'.

One of the unfortunate side effects of the direction Captain's Club has been heading. More people joining means more members per sailing, which spreads the Captain's Club rep. thin. I don't like it.

I think things were better when they had a Social hostess.

Brenda, the Captain's Club Hostess, did not reserve an area for the group to meet prior to dinner..

I think I might know the reason for that one... she was seated at the Engineer's table with us at early dining. While dining with the rest of us, she probably put second seating totally out her mind. The reserved section should have been prepared by Rendezvous staff however.

Ships ~ maybe there was a problem because the Brenda we had in December was definitely not the same person you experienced. When we did the bridge tour, she couldn't have appeared more distant and didn't express one friendly word to anyone on the tour. I can honestly say it was the first time I had a negative comment on our "Comment Card" about the Captain's Club hostess. They are usually great. Maybe it was just a bad week. But you can't let those things come through to the passengers.

Tom ~ I agree. Whatever you call them, it seemed to "work" better with the Social Hostesses. I'm sure they are busier and doing more with less (who isn't these days). Again, you can't let the passengers see these things...or else we notice!

Archived