Question about going to Grand Cayman

I haven't been very successful when posting on the Grand Cayman board...Cozumel & Costa Maya are very responsive, but not so with GC it seems...

DH and I will be in GC next week and I don't know what to do. We have been to Hell, Stingray City & the turtle farm. We are mainly interested in a beach that isn't too terribly crowded, access to food and some good snorkeling.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks so much,

Lisa

If the beach is what you want, simply grab a taxi/bus and go! The beaches all have chairs, umbrellas,watersport equip. for rent, and restrooms, restaurant/bars for your comfort!

Any of the public access points will be fine--probably the further down the beach you go, the less crowded it will be. Just keep an eye on the returning traffic--there is only 1 road, and if there are any tie-ups, traffic can get pretty backed up! You want to leave time to make the ship!!!

We spent a day on Cayman last year, We took our snorkel gear with us and stopped at the Eden Rock Dive Center (A short walk from the pier). We rented a locker for $5.00 (?) and snorkeled in front of their place. We swam along the shoreline to a restaurant which I can't remember the name. There were a few large Tarpon swimming around along with a large variety of fish. There isn't a beach however.

The two times we have been to Grand Cayman, we take a taxi to the Sea Grape part of Seven Mile Beach. It hasn't been crowded at all the times we've been there. They have beach chairs, a small bar and restrooms there. I think the charge was $10 per beach chair, but that came with a complimentary drink. When you are ready to go back to the ship, just cross the street from the beach and there is a little area there to flag down a taxi back. Just remember that the traffic back to the port can be pretty heavy, so schedule enough time to not miss the ship! :)

We are mainly interested in a beach that isn't too terribly crowded, access to food and some good snorkeling.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks so much,

Lisa

Unfortunately, good snorkeling and beach are not easily paired. The best beach snorkeling is in areas of ironshore, not sand beach. There are several good shore snorkeling options within walking distance of the cruise tender pier, and others that can be reached by cab. I'll link a great reference to these areas here for you. http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm

If I recall, there is food served right on Sea Grape Beach. Me and hubby cab over to that beach when we go to GC. Its a nice quieter beach, because its further away. About $12 each way in cab I think it was. By mid day there are more people, but still never as crowded as 7 Mile and I have been there in peak college spring break time, still not as crowded as 7 Mile.

If you decide to go there, tell cab driver to take you there, and dont let them talk you into 7 mile instead. Some do that because its closer and they can get back to pier for more customers.

Sea Grape Beach is part of Seven Mile Beach....it is just a portion of the beach that is further up the road and the taxi drivers don't necessarily like to go that far....but they will if you ask them.....the taxi drivers I've encountered are very nice folks with some very interesting stories to tell especially about their hurricane experiences! :)

Archived