Information on Grand out of Galveston?

39august

Does anyone have information about whether Princess will offer transfers from Houston Hobby and/or Bush International airport? RCI only had buses from Bush Intnl. when we took the Rhapsody. Hobby is quite a bit closer to Galveston. Also, does anyone know whether Princess will be offereing shore excursions at Belize? Surely they will, as the port time is so screwy that we'll probably not be able to work much of anything with the local tour operators. I questioned one and the response was that we could do a 4 hour snorkel tour with them. Well, I don't think so with only 6 hours in a tender port, and that tender takes at least 20 minutes as I recall. Also, someone posted that Grand is going to be refurbished before her first Galveston cruise. Can anyone else confirm this? Thanks for any information. This will be our first cruise as Platinum members!

I have heard from numerous places from numerous people that the Grand is indeed getting a dry/wet dock before her first Galveston cruise. Included in the refurbishment is the new Movies Under the Stars screen, which I can't wait for!

Can't help you on the transfers, as I (thankfully!) don't have to worry about that, though I suppose that'll have to come from Princess directly, as they've never sailed out of Galveston before.

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hi, There is quite a bit of information posted on the board for Hotels-Pre Cruise. Also, you can call Princess and they will let you know the details. I called about hotels,[/font][font=Comic Sans MS] Princess has contracted with at least one hotel, The Hotel Galvez. [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Since the Grand is new out of Galveston , we get a lot of info from Carnival and Rccl cruisers. [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]When are you cruising? :D [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Happy Cruising! [/font]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS]On the Princess website go to the news section this is mentioned.[/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS]I believe other than Movies she willl just be spurced up:) [/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS]Looking forward to the GRAND.[/font][/i]

[url="http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na669"][color=#800080]PRINCESS TO ADD POPULAR OUTDOOR MOVIE THEATER CONCEPT TO ITS SEVEN-DAY CARIBBEAN FLEET[/color][/url]

mt_goodrich

I have only read about two major updates and that is the Movie Screen and they are also changing the Southwest Style dining venue to a Sterling Steakhouse.

Beyond that she will be getting a major refurbishing as she is getting a little long in the tooth in some areas.

I recommend Galveston Limosines. RCCL transfers were very high so this service was faster and cheaper for us. Generally a limo loads faster than a cruise bus so there is not that hassle of getting the correct bus and waiting until it is filled. (I say generally because we had a person lose their spouse in the short distance between pier bu. and limo which delayed our departure)

Scott

I have seen it posted that Grand will be the first to get the retrofited screen. I am afraid I am on too many of these boards to remember where I saw it but I have seen it at least two places.

I am sure that time to do the engineering and availability of the screen will all play a part in whether it actually happens during the Nov. refurb but you can understand why they would shoot hard for that date if they can make it happen.

Jerry

I Just called Princess an verified she is getting "Movies Under the Stars" in
October.:)

About a month ago in the Travel section of our San Antonio newspaper, travel agents began putting ads for the Grand with "Movies Under the Stars" .

This past Sunday most of the section was dedicated to cruising.. Houston is also building a new Pier because NCL is bringing in a bigger ship, the Dawn and the pier is now only for small ships like the NCL Sea.

Hey is this more than you wanted to know;) Maybe I'll be a cruise pro someday:D

Archived