Formal Night - Jacket/Suit Coat Required?

mncruiser64

I know a tux or dark suit are recommended, however if my husband shows up in nice pants, white shirt and tie will he still be okay? He really does not want to pack even a sport coat.

Yes, he will be fine with that... The Sport coat looks great when taking those Formal Portraits on formal night. Thats why I take mine.

Fred

I know a tux or dark suit are recommended, however if my husband shows up in nice pants, white shirt and tie will he still be okay? He really does not want to pack even a sport coat.

He will be fine without a jacket, but most men eating in the dining room will be wearing one. My husband usually takes a sport jacket and a couple of pairs of nice pants to go with the jacket. There will be lots of opportunities for a posed picture, and jackets look nice. After dinner, he can shed the jacket for the after-dinner show.

A sport coat will be slightly under-dressed... but will get by. He will cetainly feel underdresses without at least a sport coat.

You don't have to go to formal night... many do not. The buffet is available for those that don't want to dress up.

It is formal night... not 'get by with what you can' night...

Too bad your husband has has an afliction for not dressing up... it's not punishment.. it's suppose to be fun.

The Lido deck always has good food in the buffet for those not willing to participate.

Tell your hubby that a tie, without a jacket will be fine, and that is exactly what the Maitre 'D will say. It's not like you are trying to wear shorts. Those that think otherwise should concentrate their eyesight elsewhere. ( and their noses )

Yes there will be many in jackets, but don't be fooled.. it will not be anywhere near everyone. Normal people could care less what others are wearing, since in no way does it affect them. Only the ones that have nothing better to do will even lift a brow.. and of course, those are the ones that mean nothing.

-Mike

Let him wear a sport's coat, Slacks and a tie or whatever is Nice Looking. Only the old folks complain about not wearing a full suite or a Tux. I have seen very few wearing Tux's so have fun and forget about what other people say about it. Just don't wear Jeans or shorts on formal nights.

If people Want such formal then maybe they should choose a differant line where everyone wears Suites and Tux's for Dinner.

The proposed dress is perfectly acceptable, and in fact if he were to prefer a golf shirt instead that too would be acceptable. there is no required dress in the dining room, other than no shorts or "T" shirts at dinner.

As you can see, there are many opinions, but there is a dress code, and the only one opinion that will count will be the man standing at the door. He will either let you in, or not.

It's a 50/50 chance. We've seen both sides.

I don't know which line you are on, but X has changed the wording of the dresscode on their website and in the dailies. They both now say required. And I have seen people either redirected to another eating venue or back to their cabin for the jacket. The maitre d' (and his hosts and hostesses) have the final say. Best to meet the minimum dress code with a jacket than be turned away from the dining room IMO.

Normal people could care less what others are wearing, since in no way does it affect them. Only the ones that have nothing better to do will even lift a brow.. and of course, those are the ones that mean nothing.

-Mike

Well, I do consider myself normal and I am bothered when passengers are dressed casually on formal nights. I find it quite disrespectful and also tacky.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but insulting those who think differently - and speaking for them - is quite rude.:mad:

Well, I do consider myself normal and I am bothered when passengers are dressed casually on formal nights. I find it quite disrespectful and also tacky.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but insulting those who think differently - and speaking for them - is quite rude.:mad:

Well I think it is quite rude to speculate that someone is "disrespectful" or "tacky" just because they do not dress in a manner that is pleasing to you!

What I don't understand is why anyone would take time from their family, friends, or table mates to wonder about someone else's clothing. I would think that moments on a vacation are precious and that time is better spent enjoying a vacation rather than critiquing and being bothered by ones clothing.

-Mike

Well I think it is quite rude to speculate that someone is "disrespectful" or "tacky" just because they do not dress in a manner that is pleasing to you!

What's tacky or disrespectful is to know what the dress code is and yet disregard it entirely. Whether the wording is "requested" or "required", it is what it is - a formal dining room. There are other dining options on almost all ships now, so why not eat where you are dressed appropriately? And when the OP asks, it is rude and misleading to give false information.

It depends on what line you're cruising. X is more traditional, therefore formal nights are formal. I sail X because I like this tradition. It's my opinion if you don't like to dress, either go to the alternative dining, or a more casual cruiseline. They all go to the same ports.

I just got back from a RCC cruise..it's much more casual.

It depends on what line you're cruising. X is more traditional, therefore formal nights are formal. I sail X because I like this tradition. It's my opinion if you don't like to dress, either go to the alternative dining, or a more casual cruiseline. They all go to the same ports.

I just got back from a RCC cruise..it's much more casual.

What's tacky or disrespectful is to know what the dress code is and yet disregard it entirely. Whether the wording is "requested" or "required", it is what it is - a formal dining room. There are other dining options on almost all ships now, so why not eat where you are dressed appropriately? And when the OP asks, it is rude and misleading to give false information.

First, there is nothing misleading or false about it. He will be admitted to the dining room whether you or anyone else likes it or not. ( BTW hardly the definition of rude ) :rolleyes:

Second, a formal dining room??? You are talking about the same one we are right? You know, with the singing & dancing waiters. Hardly formal. We were instructed to call it the "main" dining room, not the "formal" dining room, so that there was no confusion.

No one is suggesting that someone where cut off shorts and a midriff, but come on a tie, button down shirt, and slacks are just fine. I'm lucky, in my everyday work life I can dress casually, and maybe that is why I like to dress up on vacation. However, you can bet if I had to wear a suit to the office everyday, I would not be wearing one on vacation.. and I would still be eating in the main dining room. GUARANTEED.

-Mike

A sport coat will be slightly under-dressed... but will get by. He will cetainly feel underdresses without at least a sport coat.

He will BE underdressed, but he may not even NOTICE. ;)

I'm one for dressing up on formal night, but I really don't care what anybody else chooses to do - I may notice (I love to people-watch), but I don't CARE.

OP, I haven't sailed on Carnival, so I do not know their dress code. On Royal Caribbean, we've seen "suggested" attire and "expected" attire, but never "required."

BTW, your DH doesn't have to pack anything - for $85 or so he can rent a tux, complete with accessories, including the shoes, I believe. Think of how handsome he would look all decked out (I'm sure you can fashion an appropriate reward for good behavior:D )!

You didn't say which cruise line you were going on. That would help us give you an assessment.

Some lines like NCL you would be fine. Others like Cunard you would be way underdressed and I doubt they would let you in the dining room for dinner.

You didn't say which cruise line you were going on. That would help us give you an assessment.

Some lines like NCL you would be fine. Others like Cunard you would be way underdressed and I doubt they would let you in the dining room for dinner.

Archived