Flight Question if booking with RCL

I have checked, and rechecked flights and the fare seems about the same in what RCL is charging us. $898 from Tulsa to Miami. My question is:

If, for some reason, the flight is delayed and we booked thru RCL, does RCL help us get to the ship - does the ship wait for us or still go on at the usual time and we are just out of luck?

I know when we went on Carnival, we didn't get off the ship in time (customs in Galveston was holding everyone up). We made it to the airport at the exact same time our flight was to leave. Carnival somehow knew this and had us rebooked on another flight in 45 minutes. They were wonderful.

If I book ourselves and come in a day early, we spend more money in hotel feels and taxi feels, etc., then flying in the day of.

What has been anybody's experience with something like this?

We just booked with RCCL for a cruise in 3 1/2 weeks. We got our airfare through them and were told by our AAA travel agent that since we are booking through them, that the ship cannot leave without you as they are the ones you are specifically booking through. Should you fly on your own and miss the ship, than that would be your loss and you would have to find your own way to the next port.

We just booked with RCCL for a cruise in 3 1/2 weeks. We got our airfare through them and were told by our AAA travel agent that since we are booking through them, that the ship cannot leave without you as they are the ones you are specifically booking through. Should you fly on your own and miss the ship, than that would be your loss and you would have to find your own way to the next port.

This is not totally true...........RC will hold ship if you booked air with them........for a REASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME...........they certainly won't wait no matter who booked the flight for a 5 or 6 hour delay......they WILL at their expense get you to the next port of call.......

I have seen RC hold a ship for up to 45 minutes or so..........but they won't wait indefinetly.......no matter who the flight is through.

Our departure was held for about 1 hour once--a group of about 30 passengers were going to be late. RCI had provided air for them, and we were waiting, as it was almost a full bus!

They won't wait for 1 or 2 people! But they will get you to the next port. Not ideal, but something!!

We did a cruise out of Miami several years ago and there were approximately 46 passengers that were hung up in Atlanta because of weather and missing their connection to Miami. We were supposed to sail at 6:00PM, but were still there at 9:00PM until all those passengers were aboard.

Your AAA travel agent is badly misinformed if he or she believes that. While the ship may wait for delayed passengers, they will not wait indefinitely and there is no guarantee that it can wait for you if your flight is delayed, regardless of how who you booked the flight through. They will assist you in getting to the next port, but often that is a day or two after it first sails. There are plenty of good reasons to book your flights through the cruiseline but a guarantee that the ship will wait for you is not one of them. You should probably suggest to your TA that he or she should not make promises that aren't correct.

I feel better keeping all the bookings together -- but things can still happen.

We booked air through Carnival and there was not plane to bring us home. I even had a paper ticket. The plane was cancelled in December for a Feb flight. The airline was able to get me on a flight the next day but my TA never did a thing. I wrote many a letter to Carnival and was given a discount on a future cruise, which I did use.

All in all Carnival is still my favorite cruise line!

Last year we were on Celebrity and booked everything thru them even our pre cruise stay -- when we got to Atlanta to connect to Albany NY we were told that we had no seat and were on STAND BY -- What booked 13 months in advance and Stand By ! That is Delta's Policy with Celebrity according to Celebrity Customer Service ! No more of an explanation, no I'm Sorry nothing. When I asked what they would do to get me back as I was ready to book a cruise, their answer was "We feel we have compansated you and there is nothing more to say", I asked them if they wanted me back as a customer and the response was "it dosen't matter" !

That is why never again on Celebrity !

The only bad thing I see is if you fly in a day ahead and want to stay overnight, you almost have to use one of their hotels since they will charge you $75. per person to deviate from the original plan. In our case we have 4 people x$75. each plus a hotel -- it was better to go with their hotel.

I feel better keeping all the bookings together -- but things can still happen.

We booked air through Carnival and there was not plane to bring us home. I even had a paper ticket. The plane was cancelled in December for a Feb flight. The airline was able to get me on a flight the next day but my TA never did a thing. I wrote many a letter to Carnival and was given a discount on a future cruise, which I did use.

All in all Carnival is still my favorite cruise line!

Last year we were on Celebrity and booked everything thru them even our pre cruise stay -- when we got to Atlanta to connect to Albany NY we were told that we had no seat and were on STAND BY -- What booked 13 months in advance and Stand By ! That is Delta's Policy with Celebrity according to Celebrity Customer Service ! No more of an explanation, no I'm Sorry nothing. When I asked what they would do to get me back as I was ready to book a cruise, their answer was "We feel we have compansated you and there is nothing more to say", I asked them if they wanted me back as a customer and the response was "it dosen't matter" !

That is why never again on Celebrity !

The only bad thing I see is if you fly in a day ahead and want to stay overnight, you almost have to use one of their hotels since they will charge you $75. per person to deviate from the original plan. In our case we have 4 people x$75. each plus a hotel -- it was better to go with their hotel.

We don't cruise till Feb 08 don't know if I can wait

If at all possible, you should try to go the day before. While you can sometimes overcome a problem with your schedule, these days most planes are full and it could take a day or two to get rebooked. You can experience cancelled flights due to weather at all times of the year....also mechanical problems.

I have a relative who works for RCI and actually handles incoming groups/flight and yes RCI will wait, but not indefinitely and she's even had to convine the captain to stay longer to wait for a group if it's getting too late. Apparently, the issue comes down to money and how much they have to pay to the various ports if they stay longer, etc.

Given the high amount RCI is charging you for the flights, why not book flights yourself and come 1 day earlier, especially since you live in a part of the country that could be affected by winter storms? That way you're sure not to miss the ship and I suspect you'll also save money. I recently got a great deal from www.cheaptickets.com for a one way back to the States (for the end of our upcoming transatlantic cruise). I'd shop around the internet for flights since the prices can vary quite a bit.

Or, as someone else suggeted, look into flying into Ft Lauderdale.

Have a great cruise.

I have a relative who works for RCI and actually handles incoming groups/flight and yes RCI will wait, but not indefinitely and she's even had to convine the captain to stay longer to wait for a group if it's getting too late. Apparently, the issue comes down to money and how much they have to pay to the various ports if they stay longer, etc.

Given the high amount RCI is charging you for the flights, why not book flights yourself and come 1 day earlier, especially since you live in a part of the country that could be affected by winter storms? That way you're sure not to miss the ship and I suspect you'll also save money. I recently got a great deal from www.cheaptickets.com for a one way back to the States (for the end of our upcoming transatlantic cruise). I'd shop around the internet for flights since the prices can vary quite a bit.

Or, as someone else suggeted, look into flying into Ft Lauderdale.

Have a great cruise.

Thats not always true. Here in Va to get ot Miami will cost me soo much more to book my own air.. and also no matter which option I choose I will have a 2.5 hours flight turn into 4-5 hours bceause of layovers. This is no fault of the RCCL but RCI has little to no NON-Stop flights so we have no choice but to lay over...There is no way I would spend the kind of money some places are askin for just for a few hours of extra rest then find own transportation breakfast etc.etc.etc. it is definately(sp) a better option for us to utilize RCCI +air

Archived