Noordam - Interactive TV?

madelinerose

My thought exactly, Jim. I can't speak for everyone, but I do know that standing in a line to view my account is not my idea of using my time wisely. ;)

Karen

It seems like the saving of time/aggrivation at the Purser's desk would make it worthwhile for them to provide in-cabin access to your shipboard account.

They probably prohibit you from checking your account balance on the TV so that you have no clue how much money you're actually spending, thus you're less likely to scale back before the end of the trip. :)

I agree, hubby and I were on the Miracle in 2004 as well, and it was very convenient to match our expenditures against the balance on the interactive TV every night. I think this will be one of the ONLY things we're going to miss about the Miracle... :)

HAL is still in the stone age. No interactive TV services... unless you count changing channels with the remote as interactive... on any HAL ships

According to the trade press HAL is beginning to invest in the I.T. on their ships. One of the things mentioned was Interactive TV so hopefully it may be onboard in a couple of years.:rolleyes:

... so that you have no clue how much money you're actually spending,

All you have to do is keep the receipts you get with every purchase, total them each night, and add that to a running total. :) But it would be nice to be able to check that there hasn't been any mistake made each day, and do the other things like check on the availability of excursions and book them, etc.

All you have to do is keep the receipts you get with every purchase, total them each night, and add that to a running total. :) But it would be nice to be able to check that there hasn't been any mistake made each day, and do the other things like check on the availability of excursions and book them, etc.

John,

You wouldn't have a receipt for a purchase or charge you didn't make, so checking for that with IT would be great.

The Noordam has several kiosks around the ship at which you can book shore excursions. You need your ship ID, swipe it, and do your thing!

You do get a preliminary statement the day before you get your final statement. It's easy enough on that day to check your receipts and have any errors corrected. I did find a couple of small errors this last cruise; there was no line at the Front Desk when I went there. The next day the errors were gone from the final statement.

(if truth be told HAL had removed the entire charges instead of reducing them to the correct amounts. I had to go back to the Front Desk to have the correct charge re-added.)

The Noordam has several kiosks around the ship at which you can book shore excursions. You need your ship ID, swipe it, and do your thing!

We tried to use this kisosk on Westerdam and it was never working.

I like the Celebrity/RCL approach to interactive tv. I particularly like the excursion booking tool, as you can watch a short video about the excursion to see if it right for you before you book. Not standing in line at the purser's desk is a real bonus. It also allows the whole group to be in on the decision in a less clumsy way than having your whole party at the desk.

Archived