blood donors and zihuantanillo (sp?)

RSF Cruiser

I tried to donate blood the other day at the San Diego Blood Bank and was turned down since we went to Zihua in the last 12 months. It's in a quarantined area and you can't give blood until you've been back in the USA for 12 months.

Acapulco and Manzanillo are not quarantined.

Just thought I'd let you know in case you are regular blood donator...:confused:

Did they tell you why they were quarantined? What is the reason they are and Acapulco is not?

Nope, didn't say why (and I didn't ask); just that are not accepting blood from anyone who was in Zihua in the past 12 months. The Blood bank is VERY conservative and has many countries/cities on the quarantined list. This has happened to me before. Nothing to be concerned about - just wanted to let regular blood donators in case they want to donate blood before going to Zihua.

We spent a week in the Cancun area over Thanksgiving. My husband is a regular blood donor and the Red Cross REALLY appreciates his O- blood. They were very disappointed when they had to inform him he couldn't give blood for a year.

I believe Mazatlan is also on the list, although Cabo & PV aren't. They have tried to get exemptions for cruise ship passengers since they aren't usually there at night (when most get bitten) - but they have been unsuccessful. I can see why - I had several bites from my day in the PV jungle.

I tried to donate blood the other day at the San Diego Blood Bank and was turned down since we went to Zihua in the last 12 months. It's in a quarantined area and you can't give blood until you've been back in the USA for 12 months.

Acapulco and Manzanillo are not quarantined.

Just thought I'd let you know in case you are regular blood donator...:confused:

It is Zihuatanejo. The reason for the quarantine is Malaria which is transmitted through mosquitoes. It varies from season to season.

Malaria

Wait 3 years after completing treatment for malaria. Wait 12 months after returning from a trip to an area where malaria is found. Wait 3 years after living in a country where malaria is found. Learn more about malaria and blood donation.

Wow, we leave in 12 days and my husband won't be happy about this!!! He does apharesis ( no idea if that's spelled right ) and as soon as he is eligible to donate again, he's back in there. Does anyone know if he stays on the ship and doesn't go into town if that will make a difference? ( we do go to Zihuatanejo ) Thanks! :confused:

Wow' date=' we leave in 12 days and my husband won't be happy about this!!! He does apharesis ( no idea if that's spelled right ) and [u']as soon[/u] as he is eligible to donate again, he's back in there. Does anyone know if he stays on the ship and doesn't go into town if that will make a difference? ( we do go to Zihuatanejo ) Thanks! :confused:

Give the blood bank a call - they'll know...

I am a regular donator and in my humble opinion think if he stays on the ship and doesn't go into the country that he can truthfully say he has not been In the country. I will be going to Mazatlan for the first time in Oct. and will donate before and wait the 12 months after. I would prefer to sit out the year than miss my opportunity to see this port. If we return to this port in the future and its not worth the year wait I will then stay on board the ship.

My husband called his regular blood bank here in Riverside, Ca. and talked to one of the nurses. She said that Zihua and Acapulco were both ports of concern on our itenerary. She made it sound though as long as he didn't go on excursions in those ports he'd be ok. I have to assume that means no jungle adventures, but hanging out at the beach would be ok. So far we only had definate plans for Puerta Vallarta so he might be ok.

I am a regular donator and in my humble opinion think if he stays on the ship and doesn't go into the country that he can truthfully say he has not been In the country. I will be going to Mazatlan for the first time in Oct. and will donate before and wait the 12 months after. I would prefer to sit out the year than miss my opportunity to see this port. If we return to this port in the future and its not worth the year wait I will then stay on board the ship.

We're taking the same cruise again in January 08 and I'm going to donate blood the week before we go (our two cruises turn out to be 53 weeks apart...). It just means I can't donate as regularly - Zihua is a great port and I don't want to miss it. Who knows, maybe the blood bank will loosen the rules.

Archived