Packing for Land AND Cruise

LisaH

Hey all, we are doing a 3-day land and then 7-day southbound cruise in July on the Island Princess. My question involves how luggage is handled. Obviously we claim all our luggage in Anchorage but I assume that the "cruise" suitcase goes ahead of us once we embark on our land tour, is that right? What about our land tour luggage (1 small suitcase each) when we take the 9-hour train ride to Whittier to embark the ship? I also assume that morning before we get on the train that our other "land" suitcase goes ahead of us and that we are allowed a smaller carry on on the train.

Just curious how all the luggage thing works.

Thanks!

On the train, you only have space under your seat, similar to the area of an airline seat. You might be able to squeeze a very small bag between two people, and you do have the table for some small stuff- seating is table style with 2 people riding backward.

Plan on 10 hours for the train, and be "alert" for your last 2 hours, this is the most scenic of the entire ride- by far.

On the train, you only have space under your seat, similar to the area of an airline seat. You might be able to squeeze a very small bag between two people, and you do have the table for some small stuff- seating is table style with 2 people riding backward.

Plan on 10 hours for the train, and be "alert" for your last 2 hours, this is the most scenic of the entire ride- by far.

Thanks Budget Queen...so does that mean our suitcase that we used for our land tour goes ahead of us somehow and meets us at the ship?

Hubby and I are going on the 8/27 Coral Princess cruise, followed by the land tour with 2 nights Copper River Lodge, 2 nights Denali, 1 night Anchorage. This is our 3rd cruise to Alaska, but our first cruisetour to anywhere. We're light packers and are planning on one large (pretty darn large!) rolling duffel each. It hadn't occurred to me that luggage for the land tour needed separate handling. I'd sure appreciate hearing from people who have taken Princess cruisetours on how luggage is managed. I'm also needing information on meals. The cruisetour info says "some meals" are provided. No clue what this means and what a ballpark cost would be for the ones that aren't. Anybody know about this?

Hubby and I are going on the 8/27 Coral Princess cruise, followed by the land tour with 2 nights Copper River Lodge, 2 nights Denali, 1 night Anchorage. This is our 3rd cruise to Alaska, but our first cruisetour to anywhere. We're light packers and are planning on one large (pretty darn large!) rolling duffel each. It hadn't occurred to me that luggage for the land tour needed separate handling. I'd sure appreciate hearing from people who have taken Princess cruisetours on how luggage is managed. I'm also needing information on meals. The cruisetour info says "some meals" are provided. No clue what this means and what a ballpark cost would be for the ones that aren't. Anybody know about this?

Hi Sea Hag (luv that name). I heard from my TA yesterday and he said our luggage will stay with us (all of it) throughout the land tour. The only difference being on the day we take the train to Whittier (9ish hours), they may truck our large suitcases...he is not sure. Given we will be on busses most of the time when we travel around for our 2.5 days there is room for the suitcases under the bus. Hope this helps a little...

Princess held or sent our "cruise luggage" ahead. We had one large duffle which went with us on our 6-day land tour. They stored it in the train luggage compartment. We had a small carry-on (each) on the train, which we put under the table. Have a great trip.

Princess held or sent our "cruise luggage" ahead. We had one large duffle which went with us on our 6-day land tour. They stored it in the train luggage compartment. We had a small carry-on (each) on the train, which we put under the table. Have a great trip.

Thanks to Great Sky Girl and Sailaway - this is great information. We will also be arriving a day before our cruisetour starts so I am going to assume we still claim our luggage at the airport and take it with us to the hotel but will check the website. I appreciate it your info. We plan on having one large suitcase each for the cruise and one smaller one to share for the land. But of course I will have a carry on as well for some things. Sounds like it should work out great.

Archived