Family Travelling on Ossterdam in Feb

Tommy123

My family is travelling on HAL on the Ossterdam and am wondering as we are first time cruiseres what to expect. My children are 10 and 13 years old. Should we eat at the Pinnacle Grill, buy soda cards, and any ideas what we can expect and tours to take. Thanks

That's a pretty general question...

Why not do some reading of past threads about HAL to MExico and traveling with kids in general, plus the HAL website that discusses different ports and shore excursions, then come back with more specific questions?

the kids might want to join up with hal club --- pinnacle costs extra per person --do you want to spend the extra money --- if your kids are big soda drinkers then the card might be the way to go -- there is so much to do and you dont give any hints as to want you want to see/do -- suggest you go to the destinations part of the board and check the ports you are visiting --- you can walk into cabo but you will need a taxi to get into mazatlan and pv --- when you get off the tender in pv walk outside the gate to the gas station -- there are yellow cabs there and they are cheaper -- if you are not gooing on any tours ask them to take you to the malacon (beach walk) you can check out shops and have lunch there

The Pinnacle Grill is fine dining at it's longest. You might want to consider that when deciding whether or not to bring the kids there.

They may prefer to eat early at the Lido and go to club HAL while you do an "adults only" special dinner there.

My family is travelling on HAL on the Ossterdam and am wondering as we are first time cruiseres what to expect. My children are 10 and 13 years old. Should we eat at the Pinnacle Grill, buy soda cards, and any ideas what we can expect and tours to take. Thanks

What is the date of your cruise? We'll be on the 3/31 sailing and I have a 10 year old also. We went on the same itinerary last year and Club HAL was a hit. The kids can sign themselves in and out so if they get bored, they can go back to the room or pool area.

You mentioned that you're a first time cruiser. What cabin category did you book? What types of things do you like to do on a land-based vacation? Maybe rather than asking what you can expect, the question should be, what are your expections? If you can tell us what you think you're signing up for, we can tell you whether or not you'll get that. ;)

The Pinnacle Grill is wonderful but $30 pp charge. If its your first cruise, I wouldnt worry about the specialty restaurants. The menus in the dining room will be new and you will enjoy the variety. Veteran cruisers get bored with the menus and opt out for specialty restaurants, but it is not necessary. Lido is very nice for breakfast lunch but I would recommend dinners in the dining room for hot food and table service. The Lido is set up like a food court and the food was excellent. Oosterdam has a deckside BBQ dinner event one night that is fun, with entertainment. Read the daily schedule that you will receive every evening for the next day. Sample the activities and shows. Theatre shows every evening, also movies will be shown. Dont try to do everything. relax poolside , on your balcony or in the easy chairs on the promenade deck. We love the libraries on cruise ships, we always go the first day to check out books. Your kids may enjoy a bingo game but its about $20 a head every time you play. The week will fly by, we loved this ship, enjoy

Not sure what week you are going, but I assume President's Week. I have 2 boys who are now 18 & 21. We started cruising with them President's Week when they were 5 & 8, but both are now in college. Not sure how many kids will be on board, but realistically the 10 year old will probably be more likely to take part in the kids club than the 13 year old. you also didn't say if they were boys or girls. If boys, I found that as my sons got older, they would make friends on the ship by hanging around the basketball court. It also depends on whether your kids like to hang together. As your first cruise, you probably don't realize that this is not like being on a vacation at a hotel where you are out in the open. You kids can stay together if they want and go to different events and activities on the ship by themselves, so if you feel like having a romantic dinner in the Pinnacle Grill, let them do their own thing. Unless they have very sophisticated tastes, I definitely would not take them to the Pinnacle. As far as where to go, we found that, being a family of 4, it was always more economical to get a private driver for us, and have them take us to places on our own. You can also rent a car for the day and drive to various places on your own, although for a first timer that is something that is probably too scary for you. We contacted Mazatlan Frank, and are planning to have him take us for the day. I think he quoted something like $225, which may be a little more for 2 than we would spend on a ship's tour, for a family of 4 its a bargain. You also have to think about what your family likes to do. You should read the ports of call board on the Mexican Riviera to see what people recommend. If your family would enjoy the zip lining in Peurta Vallerta, go ahead. I, on the other hand, really don't think I could take it. You could also take a look at the various websites and see what kind of tours they offer. You may like the whale watching in zodiac boats that they have in Cabo. My boys have great memories from the years of cruising, and I hope your kids will too.

Not sure what week you are going, but I assume President's Week. I have 2 boys who are now 18 & 21. We started cruising with them President's Week when they were 5 & 8, but both are now in college. Not sure how many kids will be on board, but realistically the 10 year old will probably be more likely to take part in the kids club than the 13 year old. you also didn't say if they were boys or girls. If boys, I found that as my sons got older, they would make friends on the ship by hanging around the basketball court. It also depends on whether your kids like to hang together. As your first cruise, you probably don't realize that this is not like being on a vacation at a hotel where you are out in the open. You kids can stay together if they want and go to different events and activities on the ship by themselves, so if you feel like having a romantic dinner in the Pinnacle Grill, let them do their own thing. Unless they have very sophisticated tastes, I definitely would not take them to the Pinnacle. As far as where to go, we found that, being a family of 4, it was always more economical to get a private driver for us, and have them take us to places on our own. You can also rent a car for the day and drive to various places on your own, although for a first timer that is something that is probably too scary for you. We contacted Mazatlan Frank, and are planning to have him take us for the day. I think he quoted something like $225, which may be a little more for 2 than we would spend on a ship's tour, for a family of 4 its a bargain. You also have to think about what your family likes to do. You should read the ports of call board on the Mexican Riviera to see what people recommend. If your family would enjoy the zip lining in Peurta Vallerta, go ahead. I, on the other hand, really don't think I could take it. You could also take a look at the various websites and see what kind of tours they offer. You may like the whale watching in zodiac boats that they have in Cabo. My boys have great memories from the years of cruising, and I hope your kids will too.

Archived