Has anyone booked a room but then got an upgrade?

I should have booked a guarateed room with a chance of getting an upgrade but I didn't know any better. I got a room number. Has anyone ever gotten an upgrade after receiving a cabin number?

Luckyone

Flavia 1975

Emerald Seas 1976

Emerald Seas 1979

Royale 1985

Oceanic 1991

We booked our first cruise through Expedia and didn't even know what a guaranteed room was. We were assigned a room and then Expedia called us back a few weeks before the cruise and said we were upgraded to a suite. When I asked why they couldn't give me an answer except sometimes the cruiselines do this. I heard this is very unusual though. You can call the cruise line close to the departure date and ask how much an upgrade would cost and you might be surprised how little it is.

On one of them, it worked out well. We were upgraded from bottom-of-the-barrel inside to a basic outside, unobstructed view. The other upgrade sucked! They upgraded us from a basic, unobstructed view to a cabin on a higher deck that had the window washer parked right outside the window. Some upgrade! They insisted it was an upgrade because it was on a higher deck, but come on! I argued the point considerably and got moved to an unobstructed view halfway through the cruise. We also got $400 credit on a future cruise.

Moral of this is: anything that can happen will, and this applies to upgrades.

I have had a few upgrades over the years. The reason cruise lines give upgrades is because there is a demand for a certain category room and they have none left. So they upgrade existing passengers out of that category to open rooms for new clients. Luck of the draw mostly as far as who gets the upgrade.

• 4 weeks later...

absolutely. We booked a balcony cabin on Sea Princess, specified an upgrade was fine, but on starboard only as it was a Canada, New England coastal ending in FLL. We were shocked to be upgraded to a suite, and the suites on Sea Princess are wonderful. It was an aft suite on the starboard side of the back, so our view was even better than expected from our spacious balcony. :D We have gotten upgrades from balcony to mini-suite as well.

When we take our son, we do specificy no upgrades, because we want to make sure we are very close to him. He has his own inside cabin, usually directly across the hall from us. Otherwise, we would probably have gotten upgraded more frequently.

Yes, we booked an outside on the Carnival Elation out of Galveston in 2005 and got upgraded to a balcony. We'll never go back to not having one, so there was a method to their madness.

I have a guaranteed room through Carnival, no TA. Sailing 5/13 on Valor.

How do I find out if I am a "lucky one" and get an upgrade? Does my PVP call me out of the blue, or do I find out at the dock, or is it in my doc's when I receive them?

Go Cats

I should have booked a guarateed room with a chance of getting an upgrade but I didn't know any better. I got a room number. Has anyone ever gotten an upgrade after receiving a cabin number?

Luckyone

Flavia 1975

Emerald Seas 1976

Emerald Seas 1979

Royale 1985

Oceanic 1991

I'd love to know the answer to this question as well. We booked GTY and got an immediate assignment, we didn't like the room, the TA gave it up and got another immediate assignment (probably not even as good as the first room, sigh). I'm wondering whether I should give up this room again and take my chances or wait to see if by chance they will upgrade us after having a room assigned already?

Absolutely. We just got two cat upgrade. Call and ask! Never hurts to try! We have received documents with our paid, assigned cabin number and have been surprised at the pier. We have also called close to sailing and asked if an upgrade might be available. The worst than can happen is that you will get what you paid for!:cool:

Hi, I have been a lurker here for some time and this is my first post. we (husband and me) have cruised only once before on a Star cruise in Singapore and Thailand. Now we have booked on RCL Voyager of the Seas May 2007 - europe, departing barcelona.

I had booked an oceanview room and then the TA called to offer me an upgrade to a balcony for as little as $4/- on my total. After reading the posts i wonder could there be a catch? what should i be looking out for?

Hi, I have been a lurker here for some time and this is my first post. we (husband and me) have cruised only once before on a Star cruise in Singapore and Thailand. Now we have booked on RCL Voyager of the Seas May 2007 - europe, departing barcelona.

I had booked an oceanview room and then the TA called to offer me an upgrade to a balcony for as little as $4/- on my total. After reading the posts i wonder could there be a catch? what should i be looking out for?

Definitely! Take it!!!

My sis and I just got back from the Carnival Freedoms maiden voyage. We booked an OV though we usually go inside just because it was our 1st European cruise. About 3 weeks before sailing the PVP called and they upgraded us from our 6A OV to an 8A balcony, which was great except we only stepped out on the balcony one time. We're really not room people. The explanation that I was given was just prior to the cruise all of the less expensive rooms had sold out and the more expensive rooms were sitting vacant. In an effort to free up some of the interior rooms and fill the ship lots of people were upgraded.

As I said we usually book and guarantee upgrade and have moved up several floors almost every time but never from an inside to an OV or balcony, but being higher up in the ship is nice enough. Really my preference in inside 4-A deck 6 mid-ship. It's quiet close to the Premenade and easy to get to either the show lounge (3 forward on most) or the dining room 3 aft on most.

Archived