Insulin aboard ship

Az_Redneck

I sailed last summer and didn't take insulin at that time. I recently started having to inject it. I called Carnival and the ship (Elation) that we are going to sail on does not have refrigerators in their cabins. Would I have to store it at the medical office or just bring a cooler and hope for the best? I have to fill out a medical form and have it signed by my doctor. I guess any injectables must be reported before being brought on board just in case there's a problem in another country or something like that.

Any other diabetics who might know the ropes here?

I sailed last summer and didn't take insulin at that time. I recently started having to inject it. I called Carnival and the ship (Elation) that we are going to sail on does not have refrigerators in their cabins. Would I have to store it at the medical office or just bring a cooler and hope for the best? I have to fill out a medical form and have it signed by my doctor. I guess any injectables must be reported before being brought on board just in case there's a problem in another country or something like that.

My wife stored her insulin in a case which we kept in the ice bucket. You do have the option to have the insulin stored in the sickbay but that can be a hassle, the choice is yours. Most types of insulin manufactured today do not suffer the loss of potency due to lack of refrigeration that was common in the past so it is really less of an issue. You just don't want to expose insulin to light and heat.

In the documents we fill-out when booking there is a section asking about medical conditions and special needs. You can and probably should list your diabetes here but it isn't required to sail. You can also request a sharps container on this form. If you didn't provide this information when you booked you can do so by calling Carnival and adding it to your booking. You can probably do it on Carnival.com also if you have a profile but I'm not positive on this.

Ive been on 10 cruises in the last 4 years and never been hassled about my insulin. If you do not have a fridge in the room and u want to keep it cold use the ice bucket. But insulin is good for 30 days out of the fridge, unless u use Byetta, a non-insulin product.

No you shouldnt have any problems with insulin being out of the fridge, just dont let it get really hot though. It will be ok.

If it makes you feel better use your ice bucket. (Dont freeze it, just make some ice water in the bucket.)

Keeping it in medical is just too much trouble.

I am a diabetic and take insulin and this will be my first cruise in 3 days!!!!! I haven't kept my insulin in the fridge for some time now but the unopened cartridges need to be in the fridge. If you are using the syringe, talk to your DR. about insulin pen. They are the way to go. There is a travel pack for the insulin pens made by Byetta just google Byetta and at one point they were giving them away. It wont hurt to look. Good luck and don't worry, you will be just fine!:D

You are correct that the Elation does not have fridges in all cabins. We sailed on Elation last summer with a person who is diabetic. She kept her insulin inside a pouch in the ice bucket so it wouldn't freeze but was kept cool. The room steward also brought a sharps container the first night.

do you have to bring forms to proove you take insulin??? we sail on Monday and I was never told i needed proof. I have the walgreens sticker that states dr name and who its prescribed to, etc. Isnt that proof enough?

I cruise regularly and Ill tell you the truth as it applies to my life. I may get flamed, but I'll be honest. Here goes. I take a syringe and a vial with me for my once a day long acting insulin shot each morning. I also take an insulin pen for my adjustable dosage injections before meals. My several doctors over the years have all told me the same thing, that the insulin is good for 30 days after being removed from refrigeration. Guess what? They are right. It works well, my blood sugars react to the dosages and I can live without the hassles of refrigeration for a week. You are right that telling the cruise line about it is a hassle. Carnival pestered me to death about it the one time I told them. Not worth all the issues. I treat it now just as I do my blood pressure meds. It's in my ditty bag and it's my personal business. Take your insulin injections on board if at all possible, but I have gone ashore with a injector pen. DO NOT dispose of any used needles in the trash. That could become a biological hazard to someone and is in bad taste. Just keep the needles and take them home with you. Have a great cruise!

Another diabetic to say that I never store my current insulin in the fridge, either.

I like the suggestion about a special container for used needles, though. It has been my experience that some stewards will see needles in the room and automatically get one for you. Others have not been so on the ball.

I always take a copy of my insulin and needle prescriptions when I travel in case someone at the airport or cruise terminal wants to see them. I've never had to actually show anyone (fortunately).

DO NOT dispose of any used needles in the trash. That could become a biological hazard to someone and is in bad taste. Just keep the needles and take them home with you. Have a great cruise!

You can put yourself to this trouble if it is your personal preference, but the sharps container is the proper method of disposal for used syringes. You do not need to put yourself to the trouble of bringing them home.

• 1 month later...

We'll be taking our 10 yr old son on his first cruise (8/07, Alaska) since being diagnosed with type I.

I can vouch for the stability of insulin for 30 days without refrigeration (we have always kept my son's open insulin bottles at room temp without any problems).

I would just add that you should bring extras of all your diabetes supplies (lancets, meters, syringes, alcohol wipes, insulin, glucagon, rapid acting sugar) AND duplicates packed separately as a backup just to be safe.

Also, be sure to wear Medicalert type ID.

The sharps container sounds like a great idea. I'll be sure to request that. Thanks everyone's comments.

My husband uses Byetta and that form of insulin has to be refrigerated. When travelling we usually use a lunchbox and the ice packs that the meds are shipped to our home with. Byetta uses the injectible pen. We have never had problems with the airports in the US but what about going through security at International ports. We will be doing the Med next summer and flying roundtrip form Rome. Will we have any problems going through security at the airport? Do we have to do anything special? Thanks for your help.

Linda & Tom

A couple of things I would like to add -

You should always take with you an original doctor prescription of any medications that you take and keep in a safe place - I am a US Customs Broker and work very closely with Customs (Homeland Security). With all of the security measures in place (both domestic and internationally) you can encounter major problems when carrying medications. Customs/Immigration can remove these items from you if you cannot prove what they are and they you have the right to carry them with you.

In addition, should anything happen to your meds. while travelling and you needed to replace them in an emergency - you would need the original prescriptions.

From a personal view - my mom has COPD (Emphysema) and uses oxygen and a variety of medications to control her disease. We always travel with original prescriptions and on one occassion needed to have them to replace some of her meds.

The FDA has now approved Byetta to be out of the refridgerator for its entire life, which is one month, as long as the temp. is not too hot. I dont worry about my insulin or Byetta anymore, just make sure they are in your carryon.

My daughter is a Type 1 diabetic and I will vouch for the insulin being safe outside of the refrigerator. You shouldn't have any problems.

She is on an insulin pump now and it has been so nice. No more numerous daily injections.

We haven't taken her cruising yet, but she's getting ready to go to the Outer Banks and NYC in a few weeks and it's a great comfort knowing that she won't have to be concerned with the refrigeration.

Carnival called my mom since I listed her on the Fun Pass as being diabetic. They called to ask her about her needs, including if she needed a sharps container in the room. Freedom does has fridges in the rooms, however, her doctor said she was ok to keep out of the cold, especially with plane travel and the hotel we will be in for 2 days prior to the sailing.

Good idea on taking copies of her RX so we can replace if needed. She does use Oxygen as well, and we have a smaller version of her concentrator, that Carnival said was a-ok - but reminded us to bring both an extension cord (the plug in is not that convenient to the bed for her machine) as well as a plug strip for other items.

I was on the Destiny last Sept and I told Carnival ahead of time that I was a diabetic, they had me fax them a form I was able to get on their website that I was diabetic and they put a small refrigerator in our room! They also included a small sharps container...it was very nice! We had no problems with it at all. Have your travel agent let them know and they might be able to get you a small refrigrator to.

Sherry

First I need to say that I am a nurse and I administer alot of insulin to alot of people. I do not know what type of insulin you are on, but most types do not require refrigeration after they are opened for up to 30 days, some do, such as Lantus. Check with your pharmacy or doctor re: your type.

First I need to say that I am a nurse and I administer alot of insulin to alot of people. I do not know what type of insulin you are on, but most types do not require refrigeration after they are opened for up to 30 days, some do, such as Lantus. Check with your pharmacy or doctor re: your type.

I think you are incorrect about Lantus. My DH just started taking this medication and once the cartridge is inserted in the pen, it is stable for 28 days without refrigeration. In fact, the instructions specifically say, Do Not put the pen in the refrigerator and they recommend not removing the cartridge daily. Hence, no refrigeration for the 28 days. The unopened cartridges should be refrigerated. If anyone is still not sure how to handle their medications, please contact your doctor or pharmacist for clarification.

Cruise critic is a wealth of information. You learn something new everyday. My hubby takes Byetta. He has been on this for 3 years. We keep it refrigerated always. It is a bit of a hassel when we travel to take a little lunch box with ice packs to keep it cold. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from reading this thread I went to the Byetta web site and lo and behold we have been caring for this medication all wrong. It specifically states that it only needs to be refrigerated until opened and then can be stored at room temperature now higher than 77 degrees. Wow!!! who knew. This will make is so much easier for travel. Thank you all.

Linda & Tom

I think you are incorrect about Lantus. My DH just started taking this medication and once the cartridge is inserted in the pen, it is stable for 28 days without refrigeration. In fact, the instructions specifically say, Do Not put the pen in the refrigerator and they recommend not removing the cartridge daily. Hence, no refrigeration for the 28 days. The unopened cartridges should be refrigerated. If anyone is still not sure how to handle their medications, please contact your doctor or pharmacist for clarification.

You may be correct about the pen, I was not sure what the OP was using and Lantus in the bottle must be refrigerated, thanks, there are so many types available now.

for the ones that has children that are type 1, did you know that you can contact (most)your doctor and for a $50.00 fee that they will let you take a loaner pump with you if you are going out of the country.we take our grandson and this is what we do, we had a friend that had a child on the pump and while cruising his pump messed up, he said it was a blessing that he had the loaner pump. you can do shots when they mess up but the pump gives everyone just so much more freedom.Just input.

for the ones that has children that are type 1, did you know that you can contact (most)your doctor and for a $50.00 fee that they will let you take a loaner pump with you if you are going out of the country.we take our grandson and this is what we do, we had a friend that had a child on the pump and while cruising his pump messed up, he said it was a blessing that he had the loaner pump. you can do shots when they mess up but the pump gives everyone just so much more freedom.Just input.

Some pump manufacturers will do that also. I know Deltec has a form on their website to fill out the request a loaner.

I had forgotten that though and will definitely look into that option when we get to go and take DD with us.

As far as the Lantus, when our DD was on the Lantus injections, both bottle and pen, we were told we didn't have to refrigerate it. When she was diagnosed and in the hospital, they didn't refrigerate the bottles either.

Some pump manufacturers will do that also. I know Deltec has a form on their website to fill out the request a loaner.

I had forgotten that though and will definitely look into that option when we get to go and take DD with us.

As far as the Lantus, when our DD was on the Lantus injections, both bottle and pen, we were told we didn't have to refrigerate it. When she was diagnosed and in the hospital, they didn't refrigerate the bottles either.

I will look into this because where I work we must refrigerate it and this is monitored by the pharmacy, now you got me looking things up LOL!!

O.k I checked with a good source and heres the deal, catridges are not to be refrigerated, vails should be until opened, after opened it is good for 28 days if protected from sunlight, refrigeration is not required but is recommended to protect stability of the insulin. Learn something new everyday here at cruise critic. I guess where I work we must follow what is recommended. Always best to check with pharmacy re: any drug.

Archived