Christmas Island Queston

Sox Fan Cruiser

Not sure whether this belongs in here or the Hawaii section but here goes.

We are on the 9/1 Tahitian/Hawaiian Princess cruise (I still can't believe it!!) and we stop at Christmas Island on our way from Bora Bora to Hilo. There are no excursions on the Princess website. Is this something like Princess Cays (their own private island) where you lounge on the beach or is there something more here?

Thanks!

The Christmas Island in the Pacific (there is another one in the Indian Ocean jsut to confuse everyone) is a small Atoll. There are no excursions for the very good reason that there is noting to see and nothing to do there. It is not a private island and there are permanent residents on the island. They will set up a few handicraft stalls were the tender docks and usually put on a dance.

When I was there I walked into "town." The general store there had nearly bare shelves. For example, here were exacatly 5 bottles of beer available. A rather sad place all in all.

Paul

We, and most other passengers, to the tender to the island. Some people went swimming or snorkeling. Near the dock they had set up a smal crafts market. It was more like a flea market. Also, on one of the tables was a sign "Post Office" (hand written) where you could by stamps and mail post cards.

There are no shore excursions offered. The island does NOT have the tourist ammenites you have come to expect. Bring everything you will need from the ship, ie water, sunscreen, film, snacks, etc.

As to why Princess stops there, I am not sure. I assume it is to break up the 4 or 5 day sail from Bora Bora to Hawaii.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Haven't been there since 1999 but back then there really was nothing to do. I think people just got off the ship for a little while for a change of scenery and to walk around a little. I remember there were many different types of birds. Someone had once said the cruise line drops of supplies and I think food to the locals of that island.

In any event, I will be returning in November of this year and looking forward to the Polynesian Islands as well as Hawaii.:o:)

I have a retired friend who use to be in charge of matainence for an airline and was responsible for the entire micro asis area. I think his home was in Guam. He said there is an air strip there and he went there to take one of his planes a new engin.

I know two things from reading. 1) most of it is designated as a national park. They have some type off odd crab there that live in the jungle and at certain times of the year make a run for the water. I guess they are everywhere.

It was the headquarters for the british air force effort in testing the hydregon bomb back in 1952 forward.

And of course, someone mentioned lots of bird species.

Haven't been there yet but I imagine they stop there for you to stretch ur legs and break up the four sea days, I've also read that frequently they aren't even able to tender there either. You are aware that it is a tender stop only I hope, they don't have a pier.

CIAO,

Archived