Pompeii - RCCL tour or private guide?

The only Med port that we hired a guide for was Naples and I'm really glad that we did - the combination of the Amalfi coast (spectacular scenery and small towns along the way) and a visit to Pompeii made for a great day. You can probably do a RCCL bus tour of Pompeii and Amalfi coast, but there are definite advantages to going in a smaller vehicle along the Amalfi coast. (We didn't use any of the ship's tours, other than "Florence on Your Own", as the med ports that we visited were easy to do by public transit.)

If it is really Pompeii you are interested in a ship's tour is not good at all. It probably includes a standard guided tour of at most 2 or 2 1/2 hours which only allows for a short glance. For anybody who is even just mildly seriously interested in the excavations that is nothing.

A private guide that takes you from and to the ship is also of no avail because you need a special guide for inside the excavation side.

Thus I recommend to take the train to Pompejii (it is a short walk to the local train station in Naples (Circumvesuviana) and in Pomejii the station is right outside the entrance to the archeologicial site. Not necessary but for more convenience you might alternatively take a taxi.

Even a whole day there will not allow you to see everything; as you know it is a complete ancient city. There are audioguides and guidebooks for tours of various length available, eg. four or eigth hours. Optionally you might take a guide at the entrance for an introductionary tour and than continue on your own.

A whole day their is a great experience. Remember to bring sufficently food and water or buy it directly outside the entrance.

I strongly agree with the last post. Many ships' tours will rush you through the ruins so that they can give you more time at a "Cameo Factory" or some other shop (often operated especially for cruise ship tours). Of course they do not tell you that these shops must kick-back a percentage to the tour operator and in some cases are even owned (or partially owned) by the tour companies. If you go to Pompeii on your own (the train stops right across the street ---Pompeii Scavi station) you can join an English speaking tour at the entrance. These guides are all licensed to do tours in the excavations and know their job. An alternative is to grab a free map and rent audio tours...which allows you to totally do your own thing. If you are really into ruins, you could also go to Herculanium and do both sites on the same day. In fact, they even have a combined admission ticket (sold at either excavation) which costs 18 Euros as compared to 10 Euros per site. As to water and food, there are many cafes/restaurants at the entrance to Pompeii (and also within a block of Herculanium) where you can buy fresh cold water (cheaper than on the ship), lunch, beer, etc. But, once you are inside the ruins there are very limited facilities and in Pompeii, the snack bar can be a long hike from many locations.

Hank

you've been given good advice. next time i go to pompeii i'll get the audio guide and do it myself.

we had a private tour of the amalfi coast and then the standard 2-hour tour of pompeii. the only thing i'll add it this: the majority of artifacts have been moved to the museum in naples.

This was all great advice. I didn't realize it would be so easy to take the train to the ruins. I am now curious if I could hire a driver to take us from the ship, drive the Amalfi coast and drop us off at Pompeii, do the self tour and then take the train back to the ship. How long of a train ride is it? And how long would a side trip along the coast to Pompeii be? THANKS for taking the time to respond! I so appriciate it!

I hate those side trips the ship tours make - what a waste of time...

Hire a private driver. A Sedan should be about 400 euros for the day/ Have them take you to Pompeii and then alomng the Amalfi coast. That is what we are doing. You can hire a private guide for about 100 euros at Pompeii, or rent the Audio guide.

We did the Amalfi Coast drive/Pompei excursion through the ship. The Amalfi Coast wes NEVER meant to have bus traffic. The roads are twisting and too narrow for buses. We got stuck in a traffic jam and ended up running about an hour late. The guide originally said the our time in Pompei would be cut short and we nearly had a riot on the bus. He ended up calling the ship and we got about 2 hours in Pompei, but it felt rushed.

blueseagirl, I am sure you will be able to get a driver as you suggest. Yet the Amalfi coast is not a side trip. Pompeii is about half way from Naples to Sorrento about where the Amalfi coastal drive just starts. Its a long drive, thus will take the better part of your day. This is certainly a nice tour but not if you chose the cruise for seeing Pompeii.

The train takes maybe 30 minutes.

Bluesgirl,

Having toured Pompeii two years ago, I strongly second the advice Carlmm and Hank gave you unless you would be satisfied with a rushed and minimal look at Pompeii and drive of the Amalfi Coast.

Cheers,

Andy

Any previous luck with a specific driver or company in Naples (to go to Pompeii and Amalfi coast)? Jade13, who are you going through? I would sure like to see both of these places and since we have two couples going the price will be split.

Hi, we booked Giovanni with Tour of Italy based on recommendations on this bb. Here is the web site. His son, Giancarlo (also a driver/guide) will respond to you

http://www.tourofitaly.com

Note this will likely be our most expensive day at 400 euros (about $520.00 - which does not include entrance fees or lunch) for the three of us in a Sedan, but after reading many reviews on this bb, if you re going to do private, this is the place.

I have been to Pompeii before, so we will do the 1.5 - 2 hour rush tour and then spend the time having him drive us along the Amalfi Coast.

Since this stop was the basis for your trip, you should def spend more time in Pompeii (I even recommend the museum in Naples) and then some other stop (perhaps Sorrento - I have ne er been. That is the point of private, you plan exactly what you want. Also, since this is important to you, have them reserve a private guide at Pompeii. They said the cost was 100 euros. Yes, it will be an expensive day, but save somewhere else.

Any previous luck with a specific driver or company in Naples (to go to Pompeii and Amalfi coast)? Jade13, who are you going through? I would sure like to see both of these places and since we have two couples going the price will be split.

our CC group used this compnay. they were excellent!

http://www.francescomarrapese.com/

Hlitner wrote:

Many ships' tours will rush you through the ruins so that they can give you more time at a "Cameo Factory" or some other shop (often operated especially for cruise ship tours).

I went to Pompeii 2 years ago. I took a bus tour from Rome and they took us to the Cameo factory as well. I just don't get why they think this would be of interest to most people. It was one of the most boring places I've been to.

Does anyone know how often the trains run between Naples and Pompeii, approximately? And would the journey be "safe" for a solo traveler?

It runs 2 to 3 times an hour. And, yes, the journey is safe. (The train is frequented by a mix of commuters and tourists.)

We hired Marcello Maresca from : http://www.seesorrento.com. He picked us up in Sorrento and we had a wonderful day driving the Amalfi coast. He arranged for a wonderful guide at Pompeii who spoke beautiful English. He got us to Pompeii first thing in the morning before traffic and heat. There were six of us in a Mercedes van and this tour was the highlight of our cruise. Have fun.

Joan

The year before last we took a cab from the port to the train station in Naples (be prepared for constant attempts by the taxi driver to talk you into a full day hire and make sure you agree before you get in the cab what the cost will be, if you decide to do this). We then took the train to Pompeii, spent 3 or so fascinating hours in Pompeii using the audioguide, got back on the train to Sorrento, where we had lunch and did some shopping/sightseeing and then took the hydrofoil back to port. It was a fabulous day. Make sure you keep your train ticket handy because you make be asked by transportation police for it once you are under way.

AlanDawn,

I have been looking for someone who used the Audioguide in Pompeii, as I want to know if they are good?

Some of the ones in Major museums these days are excellant, but it depends of the "voice". Is it one that runs continously, or is there a code at each area/villa where you press the corresponding number? I actually think this might e better for me then hiring a private guide as I can photograph what I want. I ws there before but over 20 years ago. My Dh and DDhave no patient. The driver we hired suggests we pnly spend 1.5 hours (I think at least 2 considering the time to buy the tickets/pick up the audio) so we have time along the Amalfi Coast.

Please tell me about the guide. I should have taken a photo of the one I used a couple of weeks ago at the Whitney in NY (same I see in every museum), as i want to know if it is he same.

I think the driver said thereas music too? Thanks.

The problem with trains in Italy is simply that they frequesntly go on strike and you are left without plans. I strongly recommend a private driver. We had done an RCCL tour about 5 years ago and spent most of our precious time in a cameo factory and wasted time waiting for others who were JOT on time. Two years ago we used Nello of drive sorrento. He was fantasic. We spent time where and when we wanted. He now has his cousin working along with him because he is so busy! They both speak English and being from Sorrento, know the area best.They can both be reached at....

info@drivesorrento

Queenk2 wrote:

The problem with trains in Italy is simply that they frequesntly go on strike and you are left without plans.

I've been to Italy 3 times in the last 10 years and have travelled on trains each time. I have never encountered a train strike.

I was wondering what you are basing your comments on?

Jade13, I used the audioguide and it was the type with numbers you enter for the specific object/site you are looking at.

Some suggested itinararies can be found at http://www2.pompeiisites.org/database/pompei/pompei2.nsf/pagine/BFA3432649DE6812C1256AB60034CA8B?OpenDocument

The tickets are € 11, see http://www2.pompeiisites.org/database/pompei/pompei2.nsf/pagine/83F508F343460071C1256AB6002F40BB?OpenDocument

Archived