Which car rental companies allow Anchorage to Fairbanks (one-way)?

HRM

Who are the best companies to rent from if I need a one-way rental from Anchorage to Fairbanks? What is a reasonably good rate for June-July peak season? Are there any discounts to be had? I looked on the toursaver website, but didn't see anything for rentals cars in this region.

Thanks

From what I have seen, the only major rental company that allows one way rentals between ANC and FAI is Avis.

Buget, Dollar, Hertz, National apparently do not allow one way rentals between the two.

The drop off charge is about $400 in addtion to the weekly rate, which about another $400/week. These are just estimates. You need to check the exact rates for your dates and for the size of your car. Check multiple websites and/or a travel agency. Most travel agents have access to all car company rates at their fingertips.

My guess is that if you can figure a way to return to the same city you rent from, it will save you a bundle.

Toursaver only gives one free day with Avis, is prorated over the length of your rental, and I have heard is hard to use unless you get the price including the toursaver coupon confirmed in writing.

I have rented a Van from Hertz for June 2-9 Anchorage to Fairbanks. I did this months ago and got of rate of around $730.00. There are two couples so we will be spliting the cost. The rate is guar. If you have AAA check with them. They were the closest in price to Hertz's on line site.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback!

I got a Hertz quote for a compact car from Fairbanks to Anchorage at $850 for 9 days, but Anchorage to Fairbanks was $1200 for the same car and # of days and that surprised me. I also got a quote for $850 to p/u and drop off both in Anchorage, so I'll look at whether I can rearrange my itinerary to do that. I'd prefer not to waste valuable time driving back if I can avoid it, but it might be worth it to save $350.

I'm also going to look into whether it might be better to do the trip by RV instead of renting a car and staying at B&B's and hotels. I'm a city girl, but have done a lot of tent camping with a group (never on my own though). So this would be my first RV trip, does anyone have any suggestions or feedback they'd like to share? Any pros or cons of a personal experience or your personal preference?

Thanks for the help!

Thanks everyone for all the feedback!

I got a Hertz quote for a compact car from Fairbanks to Anchorage at $850 for 9 days, but Anchorage to Fairbanks was $1200 for the same car and # of days and that surprised me. I also got a quote for $850 to p/u and drop off both in Anchorage, so I'll look at whether I can rearrange my itinerary to do that. I'd prefer not to waste valuable time driving back if I can avoid it, but it might be worth it to save $350.

I'm also going to look into whether it might be better to do the trip by RV instead of renting a car and staying at B&B's and hotels. I'm a city girl, but have done a lot of tent camping with a group (never on my own though). So this would be my first RV trip, does anyone have any suggestions or feedback they'd like to share? Any pros or cons of a personal experience or your personal preference?

Thanks for the help!

My guess is that a one way to Anchorage being cheaper means that it is easier for them to find someone in Anchorage willing to bring the car back to Fairbanks. Sounds logical I guess as there is more traffic into Anchorage, thus the "pool" of people there is greater.

Hope you don't mind me asking but I am trying to figure out rental from Fairbanks to Anchorage and I can't seem to find a Faribanks option on the Thrifty website - am I missing something?

I don't think Thrifty services Fairbanks anymore - at least not accoridng to my information. Pick up the phone and call them to find out for sure :D

My guess is that a one way to Anchorage being cheaper means that it is easier for them to find someone in Anchorage willing to bring the car back to Fairbanks. Sounds logical I guess as there is more traffic into Anchorage, thus the "pool" of people there is greater.

John - don't you mean the opposite? I imagine there are more people wanting to rent a car in Anchorage than in Fairbanks - so Hertz penalizes you for a one-way rental to Fairbanks by charging you more for taking the car out of the area.

** I reread what you said, and now I understand it...but still don't agree. ;)

** I reread what you said, and now I understand it...but still don't agree. ;)

My guess is that car rental rates and dropoff fees are like airline ticket prices - if it makes sense and is logical, it is probably wrong. Why does it cost less to fly from Newark via Minneapolis to Sacramento for example than to fly just from Minneapolis to Sacramento? That is just one of many examples.

Archived