Juneau Dog sledding in late August

cruisin2alaska

I will be in Juneau in late August, and am trying to decide between a Glacier dog sledding trip with either Coastal Helicopters or TEMSCO. Can anyone comment on their experiences with Glacier flightsee'ing / dog sledding tours from these vendors? Is either one of these vendors better than the other in accomodating Glacier dog sledding trips late in the season?

Both look like excellent vendors, and I'm having a hard time deciding here!

Both ARE excellent vendors... can't really go wrong either way. Anything in August isn't really considered "late season"... June, July, August are "peak" season, with September being "late"... in some of the warmer years, the dog camps on the ice field don't have enough snow by mid-september and have already shut down. I've not heard of anyone shutting down in August, however.

Choose a vendor based on flight and ice time (longer is better), cost (lower is better) and how it fits into the rest of your tour schedule.

-Case

In the past, the glacier dog sled camps have closed down mid August, specifically in 2004 and 2005, so I suggest you be flexable in your choice.

Both companies will offer you an excellent tour no matter who you choose, go with the timeframe that fits your touring best. Contact the venders directly and inquire of their projected timeframe and cancelation policies.

Archived