When do you book a cruise...

cruizinmama

We go on a cruise every Jan. & are starting to think of another for next year.When do most people book theirs?Is there really a big difference in price if you wait?We usually book about 6 months ahead.We have been on Princess & RCCL and would like to go on either Carnival or Norwegian next time.Any suggestions?We are in our 30's.Thanks:)

We go on a cruise every Jan. & are starting to think of another for next year.When do most people book theirs?Is there really a big difference in price if you wait?We usually book about 6 months ahead.We have been on Princess & RCCL and would like to go on either Carnival or Norwegian next time.Any suggestions?We are in our 30's.Thanks:)

We booked 9 months in advance. I doubt we saved much money doing so; but we did get an on board credit of $125. The other advantage, and really the advantage and our primary reason was to choose our room. We pretty much had our choice of any room on the ship. I’ve looked at some cruises and the most desirable rooms can go pretty quick.. so I guess it’s up to your priorities. If you book with a best room guarantee I would think the sooner you book the sooner you would be on the upgrade list. Since you only have to pay a small deposit, I’ve never worried about the timing from a money standpoint.

We have really enjoyed Norwegian; but since it's the only line we've been on we can't compare at all.

If you don't care about your room, you can generally save the most by booking within the last 90 days prior to sailing. Most early bookings are at or near full price...but you do get to pick your room. If I want a full suite, I book almost a year in advance (they go very quickly as they are so limited in number). If you're ok with an inside cabin or an obstructed oceanview cabin...wait and book when they start offering the deals.

I think it just depends on how much say you want in your room. If you have a particular area of the ship you are looking for then book early. Remmber, before you final payment, you should be able to get an adjustment if the prices goes down and you still have the room of your choice locked in.

We are doing the Radiance in November. I booked 14 months in advance. The price has gone up about 300pp since I booked. I got the cabin I wanted plus I saved money. I'm hoping it will go down in price again (to less than I paid) when it gets closer to sailing time and I will call for a price adjustment. If not, I'm happy with the price I got!

We usually book early, sometimes more than a year in advance. Over the years, I've watched cruise prices, and they generally start lower, get higher, then get lower again. So, my best guess is book early or book late. Since I enjoy the planning just about as much as I do the cruise, I like to book early. Love that anticipation!

I am booked on the CP in June. Do I just keep checking the website to see if the price goes down? I assume they won't notify me. Do the prices drop on all trips and if so, how soon before the sailing should I start checking the website.

The cruise lines DO NOT notify and automatically adjust fares if the rates go down before final payment. You can monitor it, or have your TA check periodically. If you catch it, your TA can get you the lower price. Again, this applies to cruise fares prior to final payment. After final payment, too bad, so sad.

We book well in advance to get the stateroom or suite we want. I'm all set to book our Crystal Holiday 2008 sailing on February 15th, when they release the fares.

We have also found that booking early has provided us the best deals. I'm sure we've missed a couple last-minute deals, but we were able to get the stateroom we wanted, take advantage of air fare sales, and look forward to the next adventure.

Happy Sailing, Carla

I am booked on the CP in June. Do I just keep checking the website to see if the price goes down? I assume they won't notify me. Do the prices drop on all trips and if so, how soon before the sailing should I start checking the website.

u need to be watching now and after final payment you are SOL

We prefer to book onboard if at all possible in order to get the onboard credit. If that's not possible, we book as early as possible. That way if RCI drops the price, we get the lower price and have secured the cabin that we want.

yes, sometimes you can save some money by booking last minute deals (if you don't care about which cabin), but also take air fare into consideration, you may save a lot of money by booking air well in advance instead of last minute. The extra money you save on last minute cruise deal may be offset by the extra money you pay for the air :)

Normally, we book about 5-6 months out but right now we have our holiday 2007 cruise booked and our anniversary cruise to Tahiti in March 2008. When Regent releases their holiday 2008 cruises we will very likely book that one as well.

Plus, not all itineraries are the same -- e.g., towards or after final payment, generally you can expect prices to drop more for a Caribbean cruise than one to Alaska.

If cabin choice is not an issue, you can probably do better price-wise by booking late. However, as someone else said, you may offset any savings with a higher airfare cost.

My most recent experience: We booked our NCL Alaska cruise on the first day bookings opened up -- i.e., April 1st of 2006 for a June 2007 departure. Why? I wanted an aft balcony cabin that was in my range of affordability, not a suite, etc.

We usually book during our cruise, and then we take a FCC for the ones too early to book as we already know where and when we want to cruise for the next few years . Used to make fun of people who did that, now I'm the next one in line to book.

Charlie

You might consider joining a group cruise from Cruise critic. Sometimes these sailings will get you extra perks like cabin credit.

I book over a year out. Taking our 9th cruise in a few short days.. Booked that cruise in Nov 2005. We booked at 699 which sold out a few months ago at a price of 1399pp

Only one cruise has ever came down in price for us. all the rest has sailed at a consider amount then what we paid.

As you can see we are booked through April of 2008........we now book our cruises 18 months in advance or as soon as the new itineraries are released.

I am looking at booking a cruise for all my siblings. Since you have been on several cruises. Would you recommend a Western or Eastern Carribean - we want white sandy beaches to enjoy.

Also what is the weatherl like at the end of April?

I did one cruise on Enchantment of the Seas - do you suggest I travel on the same ship?

Archived