Best side on the PG

Westiemom2

We will be booking a cruise on the PG Papaette to Papaette in May of '08. I've heard that one side of the ship is better to have your cabin on so you can see the views better. I also heard that RSSC is not forthcoming on this info if you ask them directly. Can anyone offer an opinion on what would be the best side of the ship to book a cabin on? :confused:

It really matters very little. When in port, the ship is anchored, and swings around a lot, so both sides get equal time getting the views.

The only time I know about when it matters is on the 7-day itinerary, if you have a balcony, transitting from Raiatea to Taha'a the second morning, the view from Starboard is terrific.

We've been in both sides, but don't do the balconies (would rather go more often than pay the freight for a balcony).

Thank you Wendy. It looks like you have had lots of experience on the PG. What preference do you have as the most stable area of the ship to have a cabin. The front, back or middle? Also, did you just do the 7 day Society Islands or the l10-14 day cruise that includes all the other islands. If you took the longer cruise, was it worth it seeing the more remote islands.

Thanks,

Diane

We just try for mid-ship, and have always booked a category E, sans balcony. My reasoning is that with the steep price increase involved in a balcony, I would rather be able to do the cruise again. You spend so much time up on deck, and out and about, I have never really missed it. Also, our first trip I was really paranoid about seasickness, and wanted to be *low down* (it's never been a problem, it turns out, but I always book "low and mid", whenever we cruise.)

I've done the 7-day Societies itinerary 4 times, one of our trips was a back-to-back, so we've been 3 times.

It's the most "compact" itinerary, in terms of seeing the most of the islands and going the shortest distance. For a first-timer, I would suggest it. Although I have not done any of the other itineraries. If you do the short itinerary, combine it with at least a couple of days pre-cruise, and if you can manage it, a 3-night stay at one of the islands--Moorea is the easiest and it's a bit cheaper.

If we can manage a "next time", I'm going to try the one that goes to Rangiroa. We went to the Tuomotus for a 3-night pre-cruise on our first trip, and it was absolute heaven, and I know the snorkelling is good out there.

Since our first trip I have wanted to see the Marquesas. But it's a fair amount of sea-time, and to me, this trip is about the islands (although the ship itself is fantastic.) So we may try to do a pre-cruise there some day instead, if we can afford it (it's pricey.)

Wendy's the "it" girl on PG. For my money, though, port is the way to go on the 7-day...you'll glide into Bora Bora and the other islands looking out your window seeing everything. Really. Did PG 2 years ago and am springing for the 10-day this coming August..

Take care!

It girl, nah, I wish! Port is nice too, I admit. Coming into Raiatea in the morning is very pretty, for sure.

Laurelguy, I am extremely jealous! My next bout of Polynesian Flu has definitely started, and that 10-day itinerary sounds great, it's the one I want to do next, but don't know when! :( So you did the PG in 2005? So did I, it was in June (waaah!)

I believe these are the new cabins that were added during the refurb last year. If so, maybe someone here has cruised in one of them. I believe Canadagal is booked in June in one of those suites. I can't imagine a problem, unless you worry about smoke-stack fumes, and frankly I have enjoyed many a relaxing sit on the back deck at La Palette without noticing anything. I wonder if you're right under La Palette, and if so if that would be a disadvantage, I doubt it.

I would imagine those cabins are hard to come by, so snatching one up fast would be a good idea.

Archived