Leaving cold Galveston TX, how long does it take the ship to get to tropical weather?

conversationist

My cruise next week will be leaving chilly Galveston TX. The forecast is for 60 degree weather on our departure day (Saturday). While this is warmer than the weather up north, it is not exactly swim suit weather on the ship's deck.

As the ship travels south through the Gulf of Mexico I picture the weather getting warmer, but just how much warmer? Our first full day on the ship (Sunday) is "at sea" and I wonder if the ship makes it far enough south the night before to allow us to put on our bathing suit and enjoy some 75 degree + weather.

Anyone have an idea about how far the ship has to travel south from Galveston to guarantee warm weather in February?

Honestly, it depends. When we sailed from Galveston in December, the temps were quite a bit colder and it was very uncomfortable outside that first night. By the next morning the temps were noticeably warmer and I think by mid-morning it was quite nice. Of course, there are no guarantees about weather, but as long as it is sunny you should be able to enjoy an afternoon by the pool.

I agree with Spongerob; it mostly dependson luck as to when you hit warm weather. Our cruise in Dec. out of Galveston was 55 embarkation day; much too cool to do anything outside the first afternoon or evening. The first day at sea (Sunday) was about 62 for a high and light rain until mid-afternoon. We didn't find it warm enough for laying outside, but did walk around the different outside venues once the rain stopped. By the time we reached Costa Maya the next day it was warm. Each of the ports was around 80; we hit some light rain for a spell a couple of days.

The last sea day (Friday) was coolish, kind of rough, and windy. We spent a little time on a deck chair, but it wasn't warm enough to really enjoy--and not sunny. We never used the pool, or could enjoy MUTS because of the weather. It was in the 40's when we left the ship. We probably won't sail out of Galveston again because of the first and last days. We did love the itinerary though!

Now, you may be much luckier than we were and hit perfect weather, especially since you are sailing later in the winter. Good luck--it'll still be warmer than the frozen North!

We also cruised last February out of Galveston-it was cold!! I had to buy sweats and a sweatshirt. It was windy & cold on departure day. The following day I was still not warm until late afternoon. Bummer when it's only a 4 night cruise. Live & learn. This year were going out of Miami. In fact I'm flying out in a couple of hours-it's 41 degrees in TX & 74 degrees in Miami:) Don't get me wrong-we still enjoyed the cruise, but I like it warm!!! Nothing better than a good book, lounge chair & the warm sun!!

Rob is right........it all depends........and unless you have meteorlogical charts in front of you for the day you depart it is hard to tell......I've seen cold fronts (though rare) plunge all the way through Mexico.........

I've sailed out of Galveston and LA.........both can be downright cool......plan on 24 hours at least.........but you'll be fine by the time you get to Cozumel........:)

Oh and the last day coming in can be downright cold as well.........

When I sailed out of Galveston last March (doing again this year!), the weather was rainy and cool. Definitely no sunbathing in Galveston. It stayed that way for both of our initial sea days. Once we hit Cayman Island it was great. However, on the way home the last sea day the weather was nice and we were able to spend time at the pool. So, I guess you'll just have to go and see how the weather is for yourself!

We returned from the Conquest 4th of this month. Got up the first morning expecting to enjoy the balcony.......only with a couple layers on! :cool: By evening it was feeling like a cool tropical night. :D Quite lovely! Only the last day was it cold again and the ship as rocking. Not a good thing after spending time in the "flee market" bar, free shots in a few stores and Carlos & Charlies the day before. :o I DO LOVE Cozumel!! ;) Never cold enough to stay inside, just take things to layer and take off as it warms up. It was wonderful!

Have a GREAT time!

Kat

It was over 24 hours last week. Sunday afternoon and early evening was still cold on deck of The Grand Princess; however our arrival on Monday morning in Costa Maya was pleasantly warm.

It did not detract at all from our group of eight having a wonderful cruise!

Mike:)

The water temperature in Galveston is 52 degrees, when the sun sets in will get cold. Our winter this year has been rainy and cold, lets hope for a warming trend at least during the day.

The wind usually blows in Galveston so it will be colder than you expect, as far as getting warmer, I would expect with 24hrs steaming time you should reach a more enjoyable temperature.

Texas weather at this time of year is fickle, wait 24 hrs and it will change. T-shirts and shorts one day, winter coats the next.:eek:

Update:

I returned from the cruise and can report that it was just plain chilly on the first two days on the ship by the pool. Our first full "day at sea" was a high of 58 degrees and it was chilly, and breezy. I could tell that was a problem with cruising from Texas in the winter.

I still say that the best cruises go out of San Juan because the weather is always warm the whole trip and the islands/ports of call are nicer.

Our embarkation day - the 17th - was 65 and sunny in Galveston. Beautiful but not balmy...the first sea day was about the same but since the pools on the Grand did not appear to be heated (right down COLD) it was a nice day on deck but not a swimsuit day for most adults! The kids never seemed to mind though and they were out in force on our cruise. About midnight of the sea day - about 36 hours at sea - you could feel the difference and the waters calmed down alot too. 4 of the hot tubs were also out of commision the entire cruise so the others were always full.

The Grand is still a beautiful ship and there is no such thing as a bad day at sea! Just pack sweaters or sweatshirts and you will be fine. Layers is the secret to comfort I think...but in Alaska we live by that rule all year round!

Archived