Will Carnival alter the room key?

KAWS

We have two cabins booked. We had to book dh and ds in one and me and ds's gf in another because son is 21 and gf is 20. We were intending to switch me and ds once we got onboard.

Question is this: what happens with the sign and sail key? This, I assume, is also the room key. Will Carnival be ok with us making this switch and give us the appropriate keys? I don't know what kind of info is coded into the sign and sail card but I don't want any problems once onboard.

Someone over on the Princess board said they have no problem with doing this so it made me think I should check here since we're sailing Carnival.

Thanks.

Kim

Nope, will not be a problem. When you get onboard have them rekey the S and S cards. We did that back in September when I went with my mom dad husband and brother. We booked me, my husband, and my mom in one room and my dad and brother in the other to get the past cruiser discount in my room. Then when we boarded had them rekey my moms and brothers S and S cards. Not a problem at all.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

We have two cabins booked. We had to book dh and ds in one and me and ds's gf in another because son is 21 and gf is 20. We were intending to switch me and ds once we got onboard.

Question is this: what happens with the sign and sail key? This, I assume, is also the room key. Will Carnival be ok with us making this switch and give us the appropriate keys? I don't know what kind of info is coded into the sign and sail card but I don't want any problems once onboard.

Someone over on the Princess board said they have no problem with doing this so it made me think I should check here since we're sailing Carnival.

Thanks.

Kim

Kim,

On our upcoming Glory cruise, I have my sons booked in a separate cabin from my wife and I and they are way under age; 12 and 10. We've booked them like that previously on Carnival and never had a problem doing so. I have even booked our 6 year old in a cabin by himself without a problem.

Regardless though, you can get keys changed or extra keys made at the pursers desk. We always get keys made for our sons rooms.

We have done this when we cruised the last 2 times - our boys were in another cabin, but one was 22 and the other 20, so they wouldn't put them together. On the Inspiration last May they gave us a second card that was a room only card. In December we were on the Liberty and they just recoded the cards. Hope that helps

Valerie

Not to beat a dead horse but I've done this with no problem in the past. You just take all the sign and sail cards to the pursers desk and tell them which people you want in each room. They print up new cards while you wait. It took me less than five minutes to get three cabins re-keyed. Hope you have a great cruise!

Bob

Thanks everyone. I knew you'd all have the answer. I can't tell you how helpful everyone has been whenever I've had a question. My family thinks I'm some kind of a cruise guru and it's all because I just can't stay away from here! LOL:D :D :D

Kim

On the Inspiration two years ago they would not do that for me so I never even asked at the pursers desk this year. I tried to book my kids in one cabin this year with oldest being 21 and Carnival would not do it. On another Carnival ship my friend booked three cabins two of which had two under 21 years olds in each. I called Carnival and tried to switch ahead of time so we wouln't have the key problem and they said no. Somone over 25 had to be in each cabin???

I had a similar occurence like SoftballMom on the legend over Thanksgiving. Pursers desks would not change keys...however they did give us additional keys to open cabins only...Bit of a inconvenience since you needed to carry 2 Sail and Sign cards...i for charging and the other for opening the cabin you were in. They say this is policy. In past bookings thru Internet agencies, I would list my children in a seperate room and had no problem. Always had correct keys. This time we booked directly thru carnival because of getting my dad's military discount and they wouldn't allow it even after I told them...we had done it in the past.

Along the same lines, we are traveling with other families and are going to combine children in cabins once we arrive. Can we change room keys as well as allow the cards to charge to the correct families accounts.

For example, part of our deal included on onboard credit for each room. Is this going to confuse who is spending what money?

On the Inspiration two years ago they would not do that for me so I never even asked at the pursers desk this year. I tried to book my kids in one cabin this year with oldest being 21 and Carnival would not do it. On another Carnival ship my friend booked three cabins two of which had two under 21 years olds in each. I called Carnival and tried to switch ahead of time so we wouln't have the key problem and they said no. Somone over 25 had to be in each cabin???

softballmom,

I have two cruises booked now with kids in rooms by themselves. My PVP or any CVS can look up my cruise history and see that's how I always do it.

Maybe you should just book it that way and not ask if you can? I never ask questions if I think I won't like the answers. :)

Policy as I've been told by Carnival trhough our TA is that you can book kids in their own room as along as they are directly across the hall from the parents or in the adjacent room. Any deviation from this will not be allowed. I know, because I tried.

This said, DW and I had to book three rooms for ourselves and 4 kids. We had to put our daughter in a room with me, DW and a son in a room down the hall, and two other sons in a room next to them.

Our hope is to switch DW's and dd's room keys after on board which would leave 4 kids in two rooms down the hall from us which is supposedly against policy, at least when booking. Has anyone ever tried this and been succesful?

Even though you booked the kids in cabins by themselves in the past= you will have a problem with booking that way on future cruises.

Carnival is getting tight with that rule- for now a lot of people who booked kids in seperate cabins are left that way because they booked at a time when this was not a strict policy.

The OP is having to do it this way mainly because the person under 21 is NOT her child.

I am having a problem with booking a family. My son and GF are getting married onboard the Liberty son will be 21/gf will be 20- they have a child who will be 20 months. Even though they are getting married onboard-- they will not be married when checking in. the baby needs someone who is 25. and no way around it either.

I am curious to anyone who booked within the past month with kids in seperate cabins with no one being 25.

as to switiching sign and sail cards at the pursers desk-- I thought we only got extra cabin keys- what happens with the photo on the card? do you have to go have that retaken?

Archived