Is there Pride of Aloha? Jan 28-Feb 4, 2007

This cruise takes us to Hawaii, arriving at the Honolulu Airport at 3:30 PM on Jan 26 along with a group of 42 friends and neighbors. Also with us was my sister and BIL who we connected with in Denver for the flight over. After identifying our luggage, it, as well as us, were taken by motor coach to the Pacific Beach Hotel for a two night stay prior to the cruise. Our room, on the 21st floor, offered a great view of Diamond Head as well as the east end of Waikiki. As the last time we stayed there, the hotel was kept very clean with a helpful staff. Our stay there was spent resting as well as me being a carrier for my wife’s bags as she shopped, mainly at the International Marketplace. Tip for shopping there: Go well into the place and find shops in the more hidden areas. They are more willing to bargain on the prices as they don’t get as much traffic. Also, many of the shop keepers are from the Orient and consider it a bad omen if they don’t make a sale to their first customer of the day. If you are there early and their first customer, they will take drastic cuts to make that sale.

Japanese tourism is down 20 % in Hawaii, due in part to the very restrictive smoking policy Hawaii recently put into place and Japan has a lot of smokers. It is not known if this policy will be modified as the Japanese are a major part of Hawaiian tourism.

On Sunday, our luggage was taken from our rooms at 11:00 AM directly to the ship. We were taken by motor coach at 12:30 PM. There were no lines and we were processed quickly and on the ship in just a few minutes. This seemed to be a good time, between the early rush and the later same day fly ins. Our luggage made it to our cabins within an hour of us getting on board.

First day problems: There were two. First, there were no cabin attendants to be seen until the turn down service after 8:00 PM. There is no phone number for housekeeping. You must make your request to the front desk and they are suppose to relay your request to housekeeping. Our request were not given to the cabin attendants so it was 8:30 PM before we could get them to separate our beds and get us a Sharp container for my wife’s diabetic needles. This was done quickly at that time and the cabins were kept clean and service was good until the last night with no turn down service as the attendants did not work that night so they could pick up the luggage. This was the first time we did not have the cabin attendant introduce themselves within the first hour or two to see if we needed anything. They did so on our first cruise on this ship two years ago and I have no idea why they changed this other than union workers and handling luggage. First impressions weight heavily on overall opinions.

The second first day problem was the welcome aboard buffet. My first impression when I walked up to it was, “What the “H” is this?” Gone were the satellite stations with all the fresh fruits and desserts. These were instead place in with the already too small main station giving very little room for options of what could be served. From main courses to desserts, there were few options and the quality was also way down from two years ago. Unfortunately, this did not improve over the week. This buffet was the worse I’ve ever seen on a ship. It’s a shame as it was so good two years ago.

The main dining rooms were still very good, with a good selection of choices, prepared well, with excellent service throughout the week. We ate most of our evening meals in the main, one night a party of two, and the rest a party of four. We never made a reservation and never waited even a minute to be seated.

It was an interesting week in Hawaii to be sure. Winds blowing hard, many times over 40 mph. Rained every day with some days a steady rain. Seas of 40 foot plus on the north shore of Kauai caused us to cancel the sailing by the Na Pali coast. I sailed this two years ago in seas slightly less than this and can tell you the Captain made a very wise decision to cancel this sailing. Two years ago, it was hard to stand, much less walk. With the seas we had this time, it would have been very uncomfortable, if not dangerous for the passengers. Kudos to the Captain despite the complaints.

The Captain also cancelled the Kona stop due to high seas and tendering. Again, kudos to the Captain. Two years ago, it was rough getting into and out of the tenders and the seas were not near as rough. It did surprise me how long the Captain tried to get the ship anchored in a position to offer some protection for tendering but it was not to be. We instead sailed to the area between Maui and Lanai for some wonderful whale watching and then sailed the north shore of Molokai, which has cliffs that almost equal Na Pali. To be truthful, I had gotten a cold on the plane ride over, showed up on Monday, so this sea day was very relaxing and helpful for me as we had one of our few days of sun to soak in.

Much of the cruise was in seas of 16-20 foot but this ship handled it well. We barely felt the movement in our mid-ship cabins and it wasn’t as bad fore and aft as you would think in those seas. Very stable ship.

We rented a car at all the ports from Thrifty. The shuttle was waiting at all the ports to take us to the office, where as a Blue Chip Member, our paperwork and vehicle was waiting to quickly get us on our way. We drove out to the canyon on Kauai, to the east end of the lava flow on the Big Island where the village was overrun by lava a number of years ago, and did the Hana Highway and drove to the top of the volcano on Maui. We also had a clear day for the volcano with a breath taking view from the 10,008 foot peak although the temp up there was near freezing. We also did some shopping in most ports as my wife and sister believe a credit card will expire if not used daily. We bought a small ice chest and some supplies and had wonderful picnic lunches in the park at Hilo Bay and in a park at Hana with black sand beaches. This was just a nice, peaceful, and unstructured cruise.

I did hear many complaints from passengers on their ship sponsored tours. It was common to hear such things as, “I paid $85 a person to see the volcano on the Big Island and couldn’t see pass the rim of the crater.” These were mainly weather related. It was nice we did things on our own and were able to be flexible in what we did.

We ended this trip with a three night stay at the Hale Koa, a military hotel on Waikiki. For active duty or retired and a few others who may qualify, this is an excellent place to spend time in Hawaii. Right on the beach in a park setting with a BX. Rates are a fraction of other hotels, as it is for the dining. Has many activities and tours, as well as shows at a much reduced rate. Even has a $39 Luau two nights a week.

Let’s sum it up. I came down with a cold the second day of the cruise. Seas were heavy causing us to miss the Na Pali coast and Kona. It rained every day and we had high winds. The buffet can be called a place to feed a hunger at best. No contact with a cabin attendant for the first seven to eight hours on the ship. Sounds like a recipe for a bashing review doesn’t it? But it isn’t. It was far from the best cruise we ever had, but we did enjoy it and had a good time. It was down hill from the last time we were on this ship, especially the buffet, but it is still, in my opinion, the best and cheapest way to see more of Hawaii than any other way. Just keep your expectations away from what you expect with a cruise on the International ships. It is different, just as cruise lines are different from each other.

Lastly, the crew. I again found them friendly, helpful, hard working, and a smile on their faces, even through the complaints they were receiving during bad weather, high seas, and missed ports. Kudos to the Captain for wise decisions and the mostly American crew for their attitude.

The second first day problem was the welcome aboard buffet. My first impression when I walked up to it was, “What the “H” is this?” Gone were the satellite stations with all the fresh fruits and desserts. These were instead place in with the already too small main station giving very little room for options of what could be served. From main courses to desserts, there were few options and the quality was also way down from two years ago. Unfortunately, this did not improve over the week. This buffet was the worse I’ve ever seen on a ship. It’s a shame as it was so good two years ago.

cc: Retired Not Expired

Cruising on the POA in March, I am suprised by this. We sailed on the NCL Pearl on 12/22/2006 and we though the New Buffet setup was great. I hope POA reads about this.:(

Retired not expired, thank you for your unbiased comments -- as I think you have said before there's usually good and bad moments in most cruises (vacations). Great to read your comments on the good and not-so-good issues of your cruise.

P.S. I have always enjoyed reading your comments to posts, and your "name" -- retired not expired!!

Thanks Retired! Your witty review (especially re: credit cards expiring if unused for a day) almost made me "expire" from laughing.......

Seems as though even with high winds, high seas and snufflies brought on by a cold you kept your spirits high and enjoyed your time.

Thanks for your balanced review. It does appear that the American labor laws may hide the cabin stewards during the afternoon hours. Just another slight difference with NCL international crews and the NCLA American crews.

It also appears the weather didn't cooperate much. No matter how much the Caotain wishes, he cannot change or influence the weather any more than he can change the sea.

And as you noted, banning smoking in restaurants and lounges can hurt these establishments financially. Twenty percent less business is a large amount. The Japanese do have other options to visit exotic islands elsewhere in the Pacific. Hawaii does not have a monopoly on tropical islands.

Archived