A few extra hours in Ft. Lauderdale

vttea

Hello everyone,

We'll be sailing on the Caribbean Princess on Sunday, March 18th, with a 1 o'clock boarding time and 5 o'clock sailing time.

Question: We arrive at FLL at 10:10. That gives us about 3 hours before boarding even begins, lugging around our gear and baggage. I'd really like to be able to spend at least a few hours in Ft. Lauderdale.. mostly sightseeing, window shopping, and lunch at Shooters, before boarding. We don't necessarily care to be among the first ones in line at the pier either.

I've just booked a Budget car from FLL for less than $50 incl. taxes/fees and a GPS navigator. I'm figuring we can be out of the airport by 11, and return around 3, and then cab over to the pier.

Is this a better alternative than cabbing around Ft. Lauderdale, baggage in tow? Or is there somewhere at the pier that our baggage can be checked in or otherwise secured while we spend a few hours on foot around the pier?

Also, if we wanted to board as late as possible, but not cutting it too close, what time do you suggest we arrive at the pier?

Thank you!

-Steven

Cary, NC

I lived in S. Florida for 13 years and just got off the CB a week ago Sunday.

In 3 hours it is hard to do much imo. I would have wanted to go out to Sawgrass Mall, the largest discount shopping mall in the world. Unfortunately its way west and the airport and port is way east. Things like the air boats, the best ones are way west, in the Everglades. You can cruise up and down the beach which is always nice. Its high season and traffic will be bumper to bumper.

There is a street you can see on your map, the name escapes me which has upscale shopping and all the houses are on water/inlets which is very popular. Id have to look at a map, my mind is blank. I love looking at those houses, they are my favorites in the area more than the shopping. Things like Butterfly World which is better than you will find in ports is all the way north on the Broward line on Sample road, too far to go if you only have 3 hours.

Just explore the beach and enjoy seeing folks skating up and down the sidewalks by the beach? I love to walk on the beach this time of year when its booming. The height of season in S. Florida is right around now/Valentine's Day, so it will be very crowded. If you love the excitement this is fun though. During the summer it's the opposite, you wonder where is everyone.

Yeah, thanks.. the plan really is to just ride the beach strip, walk some of it, have lunch at Shooters off Oakland Park Blvd by the draw bridge, a place I've been to my last two times in Ft. Lauderdale, and maybe hit up Los Olas Blvd, before heading back to Budget to turn the car back in. Oh, and pick up some wine for the cruise, too!

We'll be there on March 18th (a Sunday)... is that still peak season for Ft. Lauderdale?

Even though they give a 1pm boarding they usually start boarding around 11 am, noon the latest. ;)

If that's the earliest we can board, what's the latest--that is, without having to be rushed aboard?

Seemed like I read some relatively stern language from Princess cruise lines advising that early arrivals can't be accomodated and, in fact, discouraging people to even show up right at 1 o'clock. Could be mistaken though.

-Steven

Archived