Cooking class

#1cruiseaholic

I read in another thread a few weeks ago that there are typically 2 classes offered and you sign up at the Purser's Desk. The suggestion was that you try to sign up as soon as you get on board since there are only a limited number of spaces for each class.

Our class was held in the morning of the day that we arrived at tortola around lunchtime. While it was fun, calling it a class was a bit off. We were handed recipes and we cooked food on our own, with the chef wandering between groups. It could have been better organised (we had no measuring spoons and had to wait our "turn" with the knives even though each recipe had a number of shopped or sliced things.

Hi, resturant chefs do not use measuring spoons. Neither has my DH who learned to cook from his grandmother.

You are lucky they allowed you to use the knives. This was not allowed on the Veendam last summer for liability reasons, although they did let my Dh chop some veggies since he is a Chef.

Hi, resturant chefs do not use measuring spoons. Neither has my DH who learned to cook from his grandmother.

You are lucky they allowed you to use the knives. This was not allowed on the Veendam last summer for liability reasons, although they did let my Dh chop some veggies since he is a Chef.

Well, sure, but restaurant chefs also have lots of training before they get that job 9as sous chefs, in culinary school, etc) but I was taking a cooking class and it felt very thrown together to have three recipes for the three groups to cook and eat in an hour while we were waiting our turn to use the implements like school children. Considering that we were cooking int he actual ship's galley, it seemed odd to me.

It's nice that they thought your husband was qualified to chop veggies. Seems more strange to me that others could not.

Are the foods cooked at all fancy? Nothing bothers my husband more than a tiny piece of meat, surrounded by a tiny dip of sauce, and an eatable flower:p I've a feeling he'd rather me learn how to make a good casserole, or do potatoes in a eatable way!

Thanks for the info about the cost and how long the class is:)

$29/person, you get a paper, chef's hat; an apron and recipe cards. Limited to 12 people. Taught by the chef from the PG. Each class has a set "menu" which is prepared among the "students," who get broken up into groups of three or four. Sign up at the front desk to get the dishes you want -- the front desk has a list. You do need to sign up early, to make sure you get your choice of classes, and the first class is almost always a sell out. That said we have signed up for multiple classes on each of our last two cruises and have had a class cancelled due to insufficient signups.

This is a fun time, but it is not a real cooking class -- more like an enhanced cooking demo with the opporunity to interact with the chef from the PG and get some insights into how the PG and the rest of the gallery is run.

Are the foods cooked at all fancy? Nothing bothers my husband more than a tiny piece of meat, surrounded by a tiny dip of sauce, and an eatable flower:p I've a feeling he'd rather me learn how to make a good casserole, or do potatoes in a eatable way!

Thanks for the info about the cost and how long the class is:)

Not really. One was a quessadilla, one was seared scallops over and avacado salad and the last was a cake. We had just eaten breakfast (the class was at nine a.m.) and so eating again when the dishes were ready (at 10) was a challenge.

Our class on the Veendam was a real cooking class. The class prepared all the ingredients and the chef only gave instructions and answered our cooking questions, etc. Half the class made a Ham-And-Gruyere Salad and salad dressing and the other half prepared Chicken Provencal (a French chicken stew). We did everything from slicing the onions and olives to making the sauce outselves to cutting up the chicken pieces to eating one of the best meals we had on the ship the entire 10 days.

It was not a 'demo' at all, but a true cooking class. It was a highlight of the cruise for everyone in the class. It must entirely depend on the PG chef as to how the class is conducted. :)

Peaches: we wished our experience was the same as yours. We also expected the class to be in the culinary arts center but in actual fact, the Queen's Lounge on Westerdam was not used for much during the day besides the movie. Why would you rave about this feature and then not even use it, we wondered.

The wine stewards offer these at a variety of times for a nominal fee (not sure what it is as I have never taken one)..I do know they offer them for red wines, champagnes, white wines, Wines of Seattle..each class different. Sign up is at the Front Desk, as with the cooking classes.

Linda

We were on the Zuiderdam last week and my husband took the class. We went to the front desk immediately upon boarding for him to sign up. They only offered one class over the cruise but had two additional free demonstrations. The class was held at 9:00 a.m. Tuesday (Tortola day). The menu for the class was for a Piedmont Dinner and included Bruschetta Duet, Mushroom Risotto, and Veal Chop with Fresh Tomato Sauce. They ate the buschetta in the class, then went to the Pinnacle Grill to have veal chops already prepared accompanied by the risotto cooked in the class. Some attendees participated and some just watched - my husband was the risotto stirrer so was busy for quite a while. The class was taught by the Pinnacle head chef. My husband enjoyed the class and the meal afterwards and would readily take one again.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year on the Ryndam a friend and I attended all three of the classes and cooked everything ourselves--chutneys, creme brulee, beef tenderloin and wine sauce. The PG chef--who was fabulous--Sashir was his name--assigned the blackberry cobbler to me and showed me to the Kitchen Aid, recipe in hand at one class. He answered questions and helped as needed, but we did the preparation. Very sharp knives were used to skin salmon--he showed us a great technique--among other chopping.

It was one of the highlights of the cruise for us. At the last class, the bar staff showed us how to make the mojito's and special martini's.

There were also cooking demo's in addition to the classes at different times. No charge for those.

Just off the Veendam, and our class was 1 1/2 hours. The chef did all the work, explaining he didn't think we would have enough time to do the prep and cook. Frankly, he may have been right, as he prepared quesidillas, scallops, and flan, all needing the stove top, of which I think there was only one with two burners. I still enjoyed watching up close, getting tips, and listening to all his experiences in Europe. He did offer to let us do some prep work, but we were all satisfied to watch him. And I love the apron!

Schplinky, thanks for the pictures of the bar menu, activity sheets, etc. It was nice to see the different actvities offered each day. I am so looking forward to our cruise this summer.

You're very welcome. I find knowing details like this ahead of a trip helps to anticipate the experience. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Archived